Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Subject of HSBC

The Subject of HSBC

Old Jun 11th 2008, 5:59 am
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Subject of HSBC

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I wasn't a premier customer and got unsecured credit card and line of credit okay. There's no set of rules for dealing with new customers, it seems completely random - dig up any thread on the subject and there are those who've got what they wanted and those who haven't.

I didn't know there were 2 branches in Winnipeg but that would be double the number in the UK cities I lived in (and banked with HSBC) before leaving, so an improvement for me
The first was downtown on St. mary avenue.

Then last year in December i believe they opened another on on Kenaston (where the new strip malls are).

For me they are not very well placed as i live in the north end. Downtown parking always sucks. and kenaston is a long drive. but they are good for some people.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
The first person I spoke to at HSBC in Calgary told me that they two banks were separate companies which happened to have the same name, so he couldn't help me! Undeterred, I tried speaking to someone who knew what he was talking about and was offered an unsecured credit card before my PR application had even been opened in Mississauga. It seems to be a case of finding the right person to get what you want.

Our realtor has also assured us that his mortgage broker has obtained mortgages for a number of immigrants based entirely on overseas credit ratings. We're yet to put that one to the test, but I'll report back when I find out whether it's true!
It's not correct to say that your U.K credit record is useless when you get to Canada, as mentioned in the above quote it really depends on the individual you deal with in the Bank. Do not take no for an answer and ask them to explain their decisions if they decline you a credit card etc.We opened an account with HSBC in the U.K specifically so we could get an advantage when we got to Canada. We were then able to open an account with HSBC in Canada, before we moved here, because of the affiliation with the U.K Bank.

HSBC in Canada overid the decision not to give us a card because they could see our credit history in the U.K was good, so the account manager overid the electronic decision. We were offered a $1000 limit with no deposit to put down from day one (with no credit history in Canada !!!)

Again it seems to be pot luck which branch you open the account with and who you deal with, but anything that can increase your chances of getting credit as soon as you get here, you should do !

Whats the harm !
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:40 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently rang HSBC international and got the forms for opening an account in Canada - they will open an account and provide a credit card, transfer credit history from the UK, however, this costs £100 if you're NOT a premier customer (which I'm not).

I'm thinking of doing this anyway, even though it costs a ton, as I'd like it to be all in order before I get there....

EDIT: Just checked the brochure that came with the forms - says in order to get credit history transferred, you must have been a customer for 12 months and then it is subject to a max of USD $5000. This is for non premier customers..... if you qualify for premier then they're likely to give you credit regardless (and the silver spoon treatment others have mentioned)

Last edited by G77; Jun 11th 2008 at 6:52 am.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I've recently rang HSBC international and got the forms for opening an account in Canada - they will open an account and provide a credit card, transfer credit history from the UK, however, this costs £100 if you're NOT a premier customer (which I'm not).

I'm thinking of doing this anyway, even though it costs a ton, as I'd like it to be all in order before I get there....

EDIT: Just checked the brochure that came with the forms - says in order to get credit history transferred, you must have been a customer for 12 months and then it is subject to a max of USD $5000. This is for non premier customers..... if you qualify for premier then they're likely to give you credit regardless (and the silver spoon treatment others have mentioned)
Hi,

your right it does say you have to have been a customer for 12 months, although we had only been a hsbc customer for 3 months, and everything went through fine when we got to Canada ! we felt this definately helped us when we got to Canada !
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
That is not correct, our credit score travelled with us, hence we were offered a 70% mortgage and a $25,000.00 line of credit (overdraft for us still in the UK)

Our Credit cards and cheque books were sent to us as were out atm card and when we went on our reccie to Toronto, we enabled the cards with a pin of our choice and the staff were wonderful to us and still are.

Also both our relationship managers have taled and corresponded on the phone with each other.

As I said we had a credit record with them, but I am sure if you transfer over in time it will be available.

I would suggest to PCUZ, for a cost of a call its worth it !

That to is our experience. Our nearest branch is 2 hours away in Halifax but do all on line banking and no problems.Any problems we had whilst in the UK either the International section dealt with it or emailed our contact in Canada and they quickly sorted it out. Saying that we could have had a mortgage but opted to get one with a local bank and cos we was putting down a good deposit had no problems
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC, Calgary have been so useless I just get annoyed talking about them.

Don't do it is my advice

Gryphea
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not one to support any bank.... they're all blood-suckers.... but hsbc did sort me out quickly and free.... I am a premier account holder, but anyone can be if they're willing to pay 28 bucks a month.... well worth it for the lack of hassle.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:49 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geedee
I'm not one to support any bank.... they're all blood-suckers.... but hsbc did sort me out quickly and free.... I am a premier account holder, but anyone can be if they're willing to pay 28 bucks a month.... well worth it for the lack of hassle.
Not true:

Premier Eligibility Requirements

To qualify for HSBC Premier, you need to maintain $150,000 in personal deposit and investment balances or $350,000 in personal deposit, investment and credit balances*. Business owners may also qualify for HSBC Premier if your company maintains commercial deposits or investments greater then $150,000 or if commercial deposits, investments and credit balances* exceed $500,000.

In Canada, there is a monthly fee of $28. This fee is discretionary and may be reduced based on your total holdings with HSBC – ask your Relationship Manager for details. The monthly fee includes all that is outlined above.
http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/en/personal/hsbcpremier
Old Jun 12th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Oh, you're right. I checked on the UK web page and they've changed things. It used to be that you could get the account for a GBP 12 monthly fee. Now they say that they reserve the right to charge a fee if you no longer meet the criteria....

Le Credit Crunch??
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:13 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

The HSBC in Lethbridge has been awesome, Michelle is our personal banker but Paige and Angie know us all by first names!!! (I banked with them in the UK and only ever dealt with Bombay).

They gave us credit cards immeadiately, have been great with any queries and just couldn't help us any more.

The branch manager also decided to cancel all our charges for debit use too as she heard me talking one day about being worried as I use our debit cards lots.

They have been fab.

Mrs Miggins xx
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Surrey Expat;6457330]They are separate organisations with the same name and were as good as useless to us. The computers between HSBC Canada and the UK are not linked, give them a call and ask.QUOTE]

I was told the same, but it's not true. Their computers are linked. In Calgary, he tapped my UK credit card number into his computer and was able to pull up all the information he needed.

I'm not a premier customer, but have had my current account and credit card with HSBC for more than a year (about 10 years in fact).
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to bring this backup again!

But do HSBC in canada actually transfer you credit record over to Canada or do they just refer back to your UK credit record using HSBC in the UK?

Just to be clear if they transfer it then other lenders in Canada will see the transfered credit record, so I thought this would be really useful.

I get the feeling though that they just refer to the UK record rather than transfer it? So you still have to work seperately at building up your Canadian credit record?

Thanks,

P
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:54 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Useless - HSBC in the UK sent the money we had to pay to make a formal offer on our house to the wrong bank. They then repeated it about 6 weeks later when sending the money to a car dealer to pay for the car. I ended up having to hire a car whilst waiting for them to get the money back and send it to the correct place.

I've got a HSBC Premier account in the UK, my daily withdrawal limit is 1000 GBP. Here I can withdraw $500 per transaction. If I try two $500 transactions after one another is works about 30% of the time, the rest of the time it tells me to contact my branch. I've also MANY times had it fail on the 1st $500 withdrawl. I have been told now 4 times by the Premium Account Manager that the Q referral flag or something has been removed and I will NOT have this problem again. Erm....yeah right.

I bank with RBC here, no problems and find them very helpful. I've even had them email me asking if they can do anything for me. HSBC sending me an email to see what they can do for me I think not.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pcuz
Sorry to bring this backup again!

But do HSBC in canada actually transfer you credit record over to Canada or do they just refer back to your UK credit record using HSBC in the UK?

Just to be clear if they transfer it then other lenders in Canada will see the transfered credit record, so I thought this would be really useful.

I get the feeling though that they just refer to the UK record rather than transfer it? So you still have to work seperately at building up your Canadian credit record?

Thanks,

P

Seems not. I just got knocked back for a Company Amex because they couldn't find any credit history for me.

Screw 'em, I'll take my biz elsewhere (if they'll have me!)
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

I must agree with london-england - we have hsbc accounts in both countries and so far have not had any problems with the CA one - probably more with the UK one at present though. For our situation it is easier to have HSBC but that does not mean to say when we get to CA we will stay with them - we will be able to shop around even more then so will go with the best for us be it HSBC or a n other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.