Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Studying in Canada to gain PR?

Studying in Canada to gain PR?

Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Shifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying in Canada to gain PR?

Hello, I'm 20 years old, from the UK, and I'm looking to somehow get into Canada.

I do not have the best educational background here in the UK so I don't have a wide pick of Canadian Universities, but I have contacted two universities and they've both came back and said that I would be eligible based on my current educational background.

The two courses that I've currently looked into are - "BBA in Sustainability and International Business" (Two year course) and "Human Resource Management, Bachelor of Business Administration". (Three year course)

They're not two fields that I'm particularly interested in but if I undertook one of those would I be eligible for a post-graduation work permit & what's the job market in Canada for those fields like because if I understand correctly to qualify for PR through a post-graduation work permit you must undertake 1 year of full-time paid work in a Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A/B occupation and then you can apply to become a permanent resident?

Is it doable, or do I not have much of a chance?

Thanks.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice
Default Re: Studying in Canada to gain PR?

Not sure that signing up for courses (with likely very expensive international fees) that you aren't particularly interested in is the best plan.
Maybe the IEC route would be a good thing to allow you to try out living here and it might give you experience that helps with your decision making about your education and career.
Best of luck!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shifter
Hello, I'm 20 years old, from the UK, and I'm looking to somehow get into Canada.

I do not have the best educational background here in the UK so I don't have a wide pick of Canadian Universities, but I have contacted two universities and they've both came back and said that I would be eligible based on my current educational background.

The two courses that I've currently looked into are - "BBA in Sustainability and International Business" (Two year course) and "Human Resource Management, Bachelor of Business Administration". (Three year course)

They're not two fields that I'm particularly interested in but if I undertook one of those would I be eligible for a post-graduation work permit & what's the job market in Canada for those fields like because if I understand correctly to qualify for PR through a post-graduation work permit you must undertake 1 year of full-time paid work in a Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A/B occupation and then you can apply to become a permanent resident?

Thanks.

Which university in Canada offers a two year course?

And why invest the time and money in a program in which you are not interested? That seems to be a prescription for failure. And since international student fees are much higher than what Canadians pay it would also be very costly.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

beehappy has a spectacular aura aboutbeehappy has a spectacular aura aboutbeehappy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks.
In short you would be eligible for the work permit and at the end of it you would likely have to return home.

Business courses are the most applied for and business courses have the most graduates looking for work with not much chance after study period is over since there are millions of Cdn business grads already out there.

You will pay 3 times the price of a Cdn student for your fees. (12 th) You will have to deal with Scotiabank to deposit around 10 thousand for yearly income for yourself which they will pay back to you at 2000 every few months or so ..plus they will charge u a hefty fee for doing that. Once u have applied and sent them your funds u have little chance of hearing from this bank. Each time you inquire as to your status they will remind you that doing so will put you to the back of the queue. This is a deal that the bank has set up with Cdn govt. You are not allowed to work for a certain time period nor is there any health provision for students here if they get sick.
Every year the rules from govt get stricter and they have a habit of moving the goalposts on a reg basis. Hundreds of thousands of students apply to Canada with the hope of PR at the end and their parents pay in excess of 60 thousand for the childs education....on top of that the students also incur other fees and costs to around 80 thou total on avg for a two year course.

Students feel that after investing their funds in Canada they should have a fair crack of the whip at a chance of getting a work permit and eventual permanent residence. For the majority this is not the case. Only those with the highest marks are accepted into the pr class and only the 'demand' occupations have a certain quota to fill..there is some reading online on the govt website about what the country needs.. Healthcare for the aging population is a high priority as well as transport/logistics and IT based positions.
I do wish you all the best but its a high risk game.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beehappy
In short you would be eligible for the work permit and at the end of it you would likely have to return home.

Business courses are the most applied for and business courses have the most graduates looking for work with not much chance after study period is over since there are millions of Cdn business grads already out there.

You will pay 3 times the price of a Cdn student for your fees. (12 th) You will have to deal with Scotiabank to deposit around 10 thousand for yearly income for yourself which they will pay back to you at 2000 every few months or so ..plus they will charge u a hefty fee for doing that. Once u have applied and sent them your funds u have little chance of hearing from this bank. Each time you inquire as to your status they will remind you that doing so will put you to the back of the queue. This is a deal that the bank has set up with Cdn govt. You are not allowed to work for a certain time period nor is there any health provision for students here if they get sick.
Every year the rules from govt get stricter and they have a habit of moving the goalposts on a reg basis. Hundreds of thousands of students apply to Canada with the hope of PR at the end and their parents pay in excess of 60 thousand for the childs education....on top of that the students also incur other fees and costs to around 80 thou total on avg for a two year course.

Students feel that after investing their funds in Canada they should have a fair crack of the whip at a chance of getting a work permit and eventual permanent residence. For the majority this is not the case. Only those with the highest marks are accepted into the pr class and only the 'demand' occupations have a certain quota to fill..there is some reading online on the govt website about what the country needs.. Healthcare for the aging population is a high priority as well as transport/logistics and IT based positions.
I do wish you all the best but its a high risk game.

Eh? OP ignore this drivel. But I think an IEC, as suggested above, is a much better strategy.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

beehappy has a spectacular aura aboutbeehappy has a spectacular aura aboutbeehappy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Eh? OP ignore this drivel. But I think an IEC, as suggested above, is a much better strategy.
I work with the students as an advocate with one of the largest colleges in Canada.

I advocate for them and represent overseas students with their banking problems with Scotiabank as well as liason representatives with the heads of departments of colleges. I have many years of experience with issues the overseas students face on an ongoing basis. Plus I have experience with individual cases applying through the Provincial Nominee Programs.

Cases in point this year alone: the amount of students allowed to apply for PR after completing work permit has been reduced by thousands.

Those attempting to move province where work periods were shorter ie; Mb and Sask were recalled back to Ont.

The Provincial Nominee program has been cut and a new program will begin in Jan 2015 with completely different rules.

Check your facts and do your research before you dismiss someones realistic views out of hand ...perhaps you yourself offer nothing more than drivel.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
I thought I posted this before but don't see it now so, here we go again. I knew someone who wanted to come to Canada and did it via the academic route. She already had a masters in something unsaleable and so took a course in something she enjoyed; cooking. It was a two year course at George Brown College and qualified for a study permit. It was an expensive way into the country but one that worked. It didn't involve dealing with any specific bank nor any upfront payments other than the tuition and related fees.

I suggest that any of the trade courses offered there is more likely to result in a job than any sort of business qualification.

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 30th 2014 at 1:34 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I work with the students as an advocate with one of the largest colleges in Canada.

I advocate for them and represent overseas students with their banking problems with Scotiabank as well as liason representatives with the heads of departments of colleges. I have many years of experience with issues the overseas students face on an ongoing basis. Plus I have experience with individual cases applying through the Provincial Nominee Programs.

Cases in point this year alone: the amount of students allowed to apply for PR after completing work permit has been reduced by thousands.

Those attempting to move province where work periods were shorter ie; Mb and Sask were recalled back to Ont.

The Provincial Nominee program has been cut and a new program will begin in Jan 2015 with completely different rules.

Check your facts and do your research before you dismiss someones realistic views out of hand ...perhaps you yourself offer nothing more than drivel.
Which college, if I may be so bold to ask? And could you define Advocate in terms of professional qualifications?

You sound like a bitter person with a french fry on your shoulder.

I'd be interested in the connection between PNP and CEC as you see it?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

ha ha...no,. but I was in India this year and I have seen for myself the struggles that parents go thru..mortgaging their houses to the max to get a child on this roundabout when the families earn a few hundred dollars per month..sometimes extended family will chip in to get them a place.
I can now see things from both vantage points and call me old fashioned but my compassion is with the families and with the student. I do all that I can do to help them in times of need.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Pease don't insult other members, thank you.

1. Personal Attacks
BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is “in it together”, please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others’ points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully … without insult or personal attack.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I recruited ex students on post graduate "open" work permits, meaning they could work in any field they chose although it's supposed to be the field they studied. 99% where from Ontario and had studied customer services lol Easy way into the system ! What became apparent was most would NOT get residency and as the expiry date on their TWPs drew closer they became desperate. I should add the ones i employed had gained their CDL (Truckers license) and assumed they could apply through PNP which in all cases they failed. Alberta did at one point announced they would allow post graduates to apply but when they realised how big the stampede to to AB was they quickly announced that to apply through AB you HAD TO HAVE STUDIED THERE !
SK was offering a small number of place annually but i don't know if they still are ???
Also the trucking outfit i work for now does not employ TFWs and with the recent changes due to Mc Ds i can't be sure if even AB and SK still allow it.
I urge caution and check your facts before investing a huge sum of money coming here if there is no possibility of gaining your PR.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Huh? How is it a personal attack? Novocastrian called his post "drivel". The response was "perhaps you yourself offer nothing more than drivel".
This:

"You will have to deal with Scotiabank to deposit around 10 thousand for yearly income for yourself which they will pay back to you at 2000 every few months or so ..plus they will charge u a hefty fee for doing that. Once u have applied and sent them your funds u have little chance of hearing from this bank."

is drivel. It's drivel in the sense that it's not true and it's drivel in the sense that it's not written in coherent English. Calling it drivel is a statement of fact rather than an attack.

"perhaps you yourself offer nothing more than drivel" is a personal attack because it's not based on anything, it's just a vague assertion. I can imagine that a poster subjected to such withering prose might well have burst into tears and be hiding in the bathroom unable to reach a computer. I can only hope that he took his fags with him.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Which one?

And since when do colleges have administrative positions for advocates?

I advocate for them and represent overseas students with their banking problems with Scotiabank as well as liason representatives with the heads of departments of colleges. I have many years of experience with issues the overseas students face on an ongoing basis.

And yet you claimed that they are forced to deal with Scotiabank and that the bank doles out their money to them? Right........

perhaps you yourself offer nothing more than drivel.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

Last edited by colchar; Oct 31st 2014 at 4:14 am.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 6:02 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
This whole thread is confusing.

1/ Why on earth do you want to study in Canada?

Compared to the extra curricular activities one partakes in UK universities you would not be giving yourself the most exciting life.

2/ Why would you study things you are not interested in? You are going to run up a huge bill, probably get a crap grade and you'll unlikely find employment to pay your huge bill off?

3/ Why not get experience in something you enjoy doing or a qualification back in the UK and then come here on IEC when you have something to offer so it also assists your future career if it doesn't work out?

Last edited by JamesM; Oct 31st 2014 at 6:06 am.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 6:24 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha...no,. but I was in India this year and I have seen for myself the struggles that parents go thru..mortgaging their houses to the max to get a child on this roundabout when the families earn a few hundred dollars per month..sometimes extended family will chip in to get them a place.

I can now see things from both vantage points and call me old fashioned but my compassion is with the families and with the student. I do all that I can do to help them in times of need.
I came in late to this - I would never post to say 'you or your posts are drivel' or all 'bollocks'. Although, you are vague in your claim to have some expertise in the area of 'student finances & family affairs', which doesn't appear in your profile? Would you say that you are a qualified expert in finance, sociology, career counselling, guidance?

So why not come clean & tell us more about what your 'Advocate' position involves, how you came about having your knowledge & expertise in that area & who you are employed by?

Maybe being an 'Advocate' could be a career for those that have the knowledge & expertise that you do? How does one become an 'Advocate', what are the education & experience requirements?

Last edited by not2old; Oct 31st 2014 at 6:27 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.