Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Studying in Canada

Studying in Canada

Old Jun 22nd 2020, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Studying in Canada

Just trying to get my head round potentially studying in Canada.

(I have a PR application in the pipeline, ideally wanted to move this summer - but realising that a move or even the granting of PR in 2020 is looking less likely, the other half has a IEC LoE which expires next month) Just trying to get up to speed with the possibility of coming over as a student next September if my PR application isn't successful (since my CRS points are dropping due to age, and I've got a dead period where I don't think I'd qualify for FST).

How do they work out entry requirements? is there a barrier to entry with regards UK qualifications? (My ECA stated my 4 years at college here where equivalent to 1 year of uni in Canada, but that's partly down to me being on a part academic, part vocational course) or does a mature student, with funds and an ECA stating 1 year of post high school education likely have enough to get on a course. (would be looking at something engineering based). And also typically how early do you need to apply (pretty sure I've missed the boat for this time round, but not sure if an international student needs to be planning 18+ months in advance)?

Can't seem to see much information online - costs are available etc, which is no issue, realise I've got to show ties to my home country (I'd be retaining 2 if not 3 properties over here) and could potentially lead to a PGWP - It's just that with the move being originally pencilled in for this year, I'm in an ideal position to move ( both rental properties are on new long term tenancies with trusted tenants, investments have matured, my current house renovation is nearing an end, I'm hitting a good time to leave my employment etc).

With a 3 year course behind me, the other half having skilled work experience in Canada, plus any potential job offers coming through, would hopefully put us in a decent position for PR or PNP.

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in Canada

I assume you have already consulted the IRCC website about studying

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dy-canada.html
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I assume you have already consulted the IRCC website about studying

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dy-canada.html
Aye, first place I checked, although I will caveat that with there is probably a lot of information on there I didn't take in/overlooked due to sheer volume. But from the website I managed to find out there was no central process it's apply to each college/uni individually. But then the handful I looked at either didn't mention entry requirements for courses or did so in Canadian education terms.

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 4:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...t/prepare.html
https://www.cicic.ca/868/search_the_..._canada.canada

You will need to ensure that the college / uni you attend is on the approved list.

Which Province are you thinking of living in - and what type of courses are you considering in Engineering - practicle or academic based?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 23rd 2020 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...t/prepare.html
https://www.cicic.ca/868/search_the_..._canada.canada

You will need to ensure that the college / uni you attend is on the approved list.

Which Province are you thinking of living in - and what type of courses are you considering in Engineering - practicle or academic based?
Thanks, Pre COVID our long term business plan was around semi rural BC (I had exchanged emails about jumping on the BC Rural Pilot PNP, but the area I had knowledge of had only just been added to the pilot and by the time they started taking applications, my FST paperwork had come through, I no longer think that business plan is robust given COVID (not to say I wouldn't give it a go if my PR came through, but wouldn't want a PNP application to rely on a touch and go business)) - really I'm drawn more to BC or SK, but would happily consider Alberta without thinking its a compromise.

I'd be looking at more of an academic course, in the UK I have a NC, and a HNC equivalent in automotive engineering and have debated doing a mechanical engineering degree over here prior to thinking about the move. something like a BASc in mechanical engineering would be my logical route.

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Most universities and colleges charge much more for foreign students than for Canadian residents, so you would have to be aware of that for at least the first year fees.

It also appears that they are really taken with the online teaching, and again most seem to be talking about a combination of online and face-to-face teaching for the school year beginning in September. Students are not that happy about the idea!
Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scilly
Most universities and colleges charge much more for foreign students than for Canadian residents, so you would have to be aware of that for at least the first year fees.

It also appears that they are really taken with the online teaching, and again most seem to be talking about a combination of online and face-to-face teaching for the school year beginning in September. Students are not that happy about the idea!
Aye, Id be factoring $150,000 for the 3 years for course fees, living expenses, accommodation etc. (my years of eating noodles and living in a single bedroom with 5 other folk in a house are hopefully long behind me, so would want a semi comfortable life) but would be willing to work part time to top that up if needed.

Neither would I, whilst I've been a home worker and using teams/skype etc for many years I'm definitely not a home learner!
Old Jun 25th 2020, 8:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If your other half has an IEC, why don't you just go with her? You don't need to wait for PR, once she's got a skilled job then you'd get an open work permit for the same duration.

If you want to study then go for it, but would just be a heck of a lot easier/cheaper to just piggyback off her visa! And of course, once you've got PR then you would pay local tuition rates, so may be better off waiting until you get PR if you still want to study, it would save quite a bit.

Just chucking that thought out there, I'm sure there's a reason you've discounted that route, but thought I'd mention it just in case.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If your other half has an IEC, why don't you just go with her? You don't need to wait for PR, once she's got a skilled job then you'd get an open work permit for the same duration.

If you want to study then go for it, but would just be a heck of a lot easier/cheaper to just piggyback off her visa! And of course, once you've got PR then you would pay local tuition rates, so may be better off waiting until you get PR if you still want to study, it would save quite a bit.

Just chucking that thought out there, I'm sure there's a reason you've discounted that route, but thought I'd mention it just in case.
No, your completely right - this is somewhat of a fallback plan but given current conditions I feel its wise to be over prepared than under.

I myself have a PR application in, AOR was last November - the application is relatively straightforward but wasn't perfect (UK PNC record for a caution as a minor, and a NFA arrest - both expunged from UK police records, my company HR policy was not to give references in the agreed format, so i got the HR reference, personal references off my managers and included an explanation letter - my contract dates don't line up with my employment dates as my HR company took 8 months to sort out contract upon changing jobs, but that discrepancy wouldn't have changed my points, as well as proof of finance was a nightmare as one of my banks were super awkward) which I'm waiting on.

We got her IEC last year whilst I was waiting for an ITA, so the IEC itself was a fallback plan - hopefully my application is approved and we are set under that route. Her IEC expires in August, we will be applying for an extension if travel restrictions don't lift but she wouldn't be eligible for IEC now as she has past 31 and supposedly extensions are looked at on a case by case basis. But if either my application is refused(or all applications are reassessed due to a change in economic needs) it would be good to have another fallback plan as her IEC is looking somewhat shaky right now.

In addition to this I've got a couple of years (or 16 months if you use my HR departments contract change dates) where I'm no longer eligible for FST due to a gap in employment within the 73XX NOC codes.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Aye, Id be factoring $150,000 for the 3 years for course fees, living expenses, accommodation etc. (my years of eating noodles and living in a single bedroom with 5 other folk in a house are hopefully long behind me, so would want a semi comfortable life) but would be willing to work part time to top that up if needed.

Neither would I, whilst I've been a home worker and using teams/skype etc for many years I'm definitely not a home learner!
bachelors degrees in Canada are typically 4-years in length opposed to the three years in the UK. I know those at UBC are anyway. At UBC you spend your first year doing general engineering based modules from multiple disciplines eg.math, physics, electrical, materials, civil, processing, chemical etc. Then at the end of the first year you choose a discipline. Note there is no guarantee you would get your discipline of choice it depends on class sizes, grades from your first year.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
bachelors degrees in Canada are typically 4-years in length opposed to the three years in the UK. I know those at UBC are anyway. At UBC you spend your first year doing general engineering based modules from multiple disciplines eg.math, physics, electrical, materials, civil, processing, chemical etc. Then at the end of the first year you choose a discipline. Note there is no guarantee you would get your discipline of choice it depends on class sizes, grades from your first year.
I'm assuming thats the pre professional study/qualifying year a lot of courses are referring to of a year? - although it would appear many of them are saying for those with occupational background or other post secondary education they may be able to progress direct to year of your chosen degree and to speak to them for more information. Although part of me would want to sit that year as I'm 10+ years out of education now.

Old Jun 25th 2020, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
I'm assuming thats the pre professional study/qualifying year a lot of courses are referring to of a year
Sorry I don’t understand the question.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Sorry I don’t understand the question.
Apologies perhaps didnt give the context, I looked at the UBC website (since ideally id be looking at kelowna/edmonton/saskatoon/regina etc as the sort of size city I'd like to be in for university)

https://engineering.ok.ubc.ca/progra...ns/mechanical/ - lists a 4th year course where

"Students acquire a broad understanding of engineering principles within Applied Sciences (APSC) before selecting one of four Engineering (ENGR) programs, including Mechanical Engineering. All lead to a UBC Bachelor of Applied Science degree. Course content is amplified through lectures, hands-on laboratory work in cutting-edge facilities, team-based projects and early design experience. "
but looking at Edmonton
This program does not allow admission directly from high school. See requirements below for more details.
Preprofessional Study Time: 1 yearQualifying Year: All students in the Qualifying Year in the Faculty of Engineering follow a common curriculum in their first year. At the end of the first year, students choose among the various specialized Engineering programs offered and between the traditional and cooperative education streams.
See Bachelor of Science in Engineering - Qualifying Year for admissions requirements from high school.

Transfer Students: Students with transferable post-secondary coursework taken outside of the Faculty of Engineering are considered for admission based on GPA and relevant transfer credit.
So was assuming(and double checking) that the first year you refer to is the pre professional/qualifying year? - which i may (not sure I would want to) be able to bypass - as my HNC equivalent in automotive engineering(which is already equivalent to 1 year of uni according to WES, coupled with the fact I'd likely have this coming year to possibly sit some engineering based E learning in the UK if I'm still here, would mean I'm not starting from a high school point of view.

Other universities seem to refer to it as a similar thing.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

So far as I know, UBC does not have a pre-qualifying year. All courses are 4 year.

The only exception might possibly be a medical student who is accepted into the medical courses after doing less than the 4 year Science degree pre-requisite.

UBC has a campus in Vancouver and Kelowna, both operate under the same rules.

Have you looked at Thomson Rivers University (TRU) in Kamloops? They offer a foundation course, then students can transfer to UBC or UVic. Or they have a cooperative degree.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scilly
So far as I know, UBC does not have a pre-qualifying year. All courses are 4 year.

The only exception might possibly be a medical student who is accepted into the medical courses after doing less than the 4 year Science degree pre-requisite.

UBC has a campus in Vancouver and Kelowna, both operate under the same rules.

Have you looked at Thomson Rivers University (TRU) in Kamloops? They offer a foundation course, then students can transfer to UBC or UVic. Or they have a cooperative degree.
Thanks, I hadn't looked at any universities until at all until the day I posted this, it suddenly hit me that whilst i'd got it lined up as a fall back plan,I'd got no idea how or what steps where required, and had this mad panic about how far in advance you needed to apply - turns out there is no panic, but the application process did at first seem overwhelming (its now actually suprisingly simple, just not something I'm familiar with, but the whole thing is a learning experience ( up until a few hours ago I didn't realise certain unis ran a pre-qualifying years and others didn't) and information on course duration, modules and lay out isn't as openly available as when looking at UK unis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.