Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Vancouver unexpectedley

Stuck in Vancouver unexpectedley

Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stuck in Vancouver unexpectedley

Have flown in to Vancouver unexpectedley with a work related problem, possibly be here for about 4/5 days. So nice to be away from a cold and snowy Calgary, very pleasant here and a welcome change.

I am downtown in the Marriott, what suggestions do people have, regarding food, drink, places to see etc.

Would love to hear about a great Indian, Nepalese etc.

Also does anybody know if there is a good hobby or model shop around.

If Delboy is reading, mate my first thoughts are to rip up my application for the CPS and look in to the VPS, purely for the weather!!!!!!

Many thanks.

A warm Lamin
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck in Vancouver unexpectedley

BC INdian = Vij's
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

There are no good Indian restaurants where you currently are staying. Vij's is excellent but don't expect English style curries for your Indian fix. Maurya on Broadway is supposed to be good too, but the problem with good Indian in Vancouver is that it won't be within walking distance of your hotel, although there will be hundreds of other restaurants within your walking vicinity. Lots of great Japanese (take advantage of the Japanese restaurants right now - Hapa Izakaya, Kitanoya Guu, etc). That is Vancouver' s strength.

Nepalese? Can't think of any in Vancouver at all. Perhaps East is East on Broadway for a blend of Indian/Afghani.

Calabash is great for Carribbean cuisine. I highly recommend it.

Nuba for tasty Lebanese food.

I'm a fan of La Brasserie on Davie for Franco-German cuisine.

For great cocktails/pubs, head to MARKET Bar at the Shangri-La (around the corner from where you are) The Diamond Bar in Gastown... actually tons in Gastown: Six Acres, Pourhouse, the Irish Heather/Shebeen Whiskey House, Guilt & Co, L'Abbatoir.

Good hobby/model shop? Not downtown, unfortunately. Drop by Golden Age Collectables on Granville and ask them. Unfortunately most of what you're seeking will be out in the suburbs (the Sloughs of Vancouver, LOL!)

Look at the Georgia Straight newspaper for some ideas: www.straight.com

If you can, call up Melody Fury of Vancouver Food Tours and let her guide you around town for your culinary explorations: http://vancouverfoodtour.com/

It'll be the best afternoon in Vancouver! Seriously She'll be able to put together an Indian/Nepalese (if it exists) food tour for you and it'll be well worth it. (I know Melody - she's lovely).

Originally Posted by Lamin
Have flown in to Vancouver unexpectedley with a work related problem, possibly be here for about 4/5 days. So nice to be away from a cold and snowy Calgary, very pleasant here and a welcome change.

I am downtown in the Marriott, what suggestions do people have, regarding food, drink, places to see etc.

If Delboy is reading, mate my first thoughts are to rip up my application for the CPS and look in to the VPS, purely for the weather!!!!!!

Many thanks.

A warm Lamin

Last edited by Lychee; Feb 25th 2011 at 11:37 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:33 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Loose Moose, 724 Nelson Street.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.

A warm Lamin
Glad you're having a good time but its ****ing freezing here at the moment.

Imperial Hobbies is a bit of a trek and you can get there by SKy Train and its very good.

http://www.imperialhobbies.ca/
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

bozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nice

La Taqueria on East Hastings. Genuine Mexican tacos, washed down with real horchata. I'd eat there every day if I could.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:36 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Glad you're having a good time but its ****ing freezing here at the moment.

Imperial Hobbies is a bit of a trek and you can get there by SKy Train and its very good.

http://www.imperialhobbies.ca/
Tell me about it. It was -11 when I got up this morning... brrr.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 2:45 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.

A warm Lamin
If the snowfall amounts predicted in the weather warning come to pass (5 cm), any coffee shop at an intersection, preferably at the bottom of a hill, should provide hours of entertainment.

Can't help much with ethnic eats downtown. If you want sandwiches or pizza try Sciue (on West Pender, east of Burrard) - nice for a light lunch but on the pricey side - or Goldies Pizza (also on Pender but further east in a more seedy area) which is good and cheap (beer and pizza deals available) and fine if you are not looking for fancy service or surroundings.

For the true Vancouver experience you could try Gorilla Food (organic, raw, vegan) on Richards but I can't say I've ever tried it personally.

If you have time, do you taste buds a favour and get on the seabus to Lonsdale Quay. Raglan's on Lonsdale Ave is just a hop and skip away from the market and has an interesting menu.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Many thanks.

A warm Lamin
If you want to travel out of downtown a bit then I used to eat here when I worked out in Burnaby - it's (was) great. Good enough that when ever we're over in Vancouver we drive out to Burnaby, order some take out and bring it back to Victoria.

http://www.agratandoori.ca/

(It's been renamed since I used to eat there - used to be called something like the Original Tandoori...)
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions, I am certainly enjoying it here and seems to be enough to keep me entertained, thanks.