Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A strange thought

A strange thought

Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:04 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A strange thought

Hello peeps

Just a good look at the threads to do with electrical gadgetry queries

I have a really simple querie to do with electrical thingies

Here in the UK we use a 3 pin plug, 3 wires, earth, neutral and a live

What do you guys use over in Canada. Is it still 3 wires or maybe just a live and neutral , a 3 pin plug, a 2 pin plug. MMMMMMM Dont know !!!!!!!!

Its just that we may need to bring over some electrical stuff next year when we visit. I told my wife that she will have to do without her GHD's, hair straightners, and she said she would cancel the holiday.
She said there is no way she is going 3 weeks without her GHD's, funnily enough my 2 daughters said they would not go either unless their GHD's worked over in Canada.
Bloody woman, not content with her indoors nagging me, my 2 daughters jumped in as well. Ye canny win !!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am stuck, in that I will be brining over some electrical stuff in the hope that I can maybe buy a converter to run these damn things.

Is there such a thing as a UK plug to Canada plug adapter !!!!!!!!!!!

Any info would be appreciated

Eddie
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:12 am
the-smiths

Default Re: A strange thought

Yes there is ! Our mini bedroom hi-fi system uses this plug, since we brought it over from the UK

Masterplug Surge Protected Travel Adaptor Plug (2 Pack)
* For UK travellers abroad
* Protects electronic/electrical equipment from power surges
* Plugs directly into most electrical systems worldwide
* Does not convert voltage
* Insert a UK 3-pin plug and its ready for use
* BSI approved to maximum safety standards
* Power-on indicator.

For use in EEC Countries, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Far East, Scandinavia, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey, Central and parts of South America and many islands in the Caribbean. Also suitable for use in parts of Indonesia, India and Israel

Price in GBP:
£12.95 Incl VAT (EU)
£11.02 Excl VAT (Outside EU)

Last edited by the-smiths; Dec 8th 2004 at 11:15 am.

Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:17 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Well, the voltage is different (we're 240v, 50Hz;, that lot are 110v, 60Hz) but some things work on both with no need to be converted. If so you can get things that plug in to a Canadian socket and have a British-shape socket to plug in British things.

You can also get step-up transformers to convert the voltage, but you might conclude that it's isn't worth the hassle, depending on the replacement cost of the things you want to take. A good way round the species might be to promise them shiny new things when you get there. They might even forget when you live there, though their memory is strangely good at times.
What on earth are GHDs?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:18 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

As usual, the-smiths are (is?) too quick off the mark for me!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:20 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

First class answer my friend

I have seen these before in Currys and Comet etc.

In fact I may have one kicking about the house somewhere, I assume it is the same sort of combination plug adaptor that you get when you go to Spain, Canaries Islands etc.

If thats the case then I do have one somewhere in the hoose !!!!!!

Thanks for info

Eddie
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:22 am
the-smiths

You are welcome ! The least you can do, is hit me with some KARMA.....LOL

Originally Posted by Voyager970
First class answer my friend

I have seen these before in Currys and Comet etc.

In fact I may have one kicking about the house somewhere, I assume it is the same sort of combination plug adaptor that you get when you go to Spain, Canaries Islands etc.

If thats the case then I do have one somewhere in the hoose !!!!!!

Thanks for info

Eddie

Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:26 am
Glasgow Rangers

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Well, the voltage is different (we're 240v, 50Hz;, that lot are 110v, 60Hz) but some things work on both with no need to be converted. If so you can get things that plug in to a Canadian socket and have a British-shape socket to plug in British things.

You can also get step-up transformers to convert the voltage, but you might conclude that it's isn't worth the hassle, depending on the replacement cost of the things you want to take. A good way round the species might be to promise them shiny new things when you get there. They might even forget when you live there, though their memory is strangely good at times.
What on earth are GHDs?
GHD's are a make of hair straightners, you know the things that the other species use to make their hair straight.

The are like hair tongs, heated, and the other species run it through their hair and the end product is straight hair.

Does me head in the amount of time the three woman spend on their hair.

TYPICAL WOMAN IF YOU ASK ME !!!!!!!!!!!

ARE ALL WOMEN THE SAME, NOW LETS START A GOOD TOPICAL DEBATE HERE

GUYS ARE ALL WOMAN THE SAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for speedy reply

Eddie
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

A good way round the species might be to promise them shiny new things when you get there. They might even forget when you live there, though their memory is strangely good at times.

What a strange and sexist comment from a true english gentleman....I thought I had you better trained than that to make such comments!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:28 am
the-smiths

METEROSEXUAL and all that. Now where did I put those SARONGS...LOL

Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:31 am
Glasgow Rangers

Originally Posted by willmore
A good way round the species might be to promise them shiny new things when you get there. They might even forget when you live there, though their memory is strangely good at times.

What a strange and sexist comment from a true english gentleman....I thought I had you better trained than that to make such comments!
Willmore you are from the opposite species. ( Do not take offence now )
Are all woman the same
Do all woman spend ages getting ready to go out !!!!!!

An honest answer please

Eddie
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:31 am
Once bemused

I was encouraging another fine English gentleman to buy the three lovely ladies in his life new beauty products. Not, I am sure, that they would need to be made to look even more beautiful.

I shall try to do better in future.

Originally Posted by willmore
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:33 am
Once bemused

Originally Posted by Voyager970
If it's a combination adaptor, then it will almost certainly be possible to use it in Canada and the USA. But do watch those voltages.

And tell Mrs and Misses Voyager970 how lovely their curly hair is.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:35 am
Glasgow Rangers

I was encouraging another fine English gentleman to buy the three lovely ladies in his life new beauty products. Not, I am sure, that they would need to be made to look even more beautiful.

What I could in fact do is buy them new things when I get over there.

That way they will have them all bought and paid for when the big move actually happens. ( To Vancouver and beyond )

Good thinking Rhodes

Well done, a gold star to you !!!!!

Eddie
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

But that's my point, why do men feel that that's the type of present that women would want to receive?

If my husband gave me beauty products - I'd tell him to shove them where the sun don't shine. Now some now bubble bath so we can take a bath together would be a different matter entirely.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:39 am
Glasgow Rangers

If it's a combination adaptor, then it will almost certainly be possible to use it in Canada and the USA. But do watch those voltages.

And tell Mrs and Misses Voyager970 how lovely their curly hair is.
I.m afraid I have already been down this road with them all before, hence the reason I ended up paying £100 for hair straightners.

They all hate curly hair as they have it naturally and get so fed up with it, so straight hair it is in my hoose just now.

Thanks

Eddie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.