Stoney Creek

Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stoney Creek

Anyone familiar with Stoney Creek, Hamilton?

Been looking at house options, for price, space, character and commute to Burlington, and Stoney Creek looks pretty good.

But all I have to go on at the moment is Google street view, lol. Looks like you get a nice view of the Mountain (yes, I know it's not a real mountain, lol), and the houses are nicely spaced, some have huge gardens that back onto fields etc.

Anyone?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice
Default Re: Stoney Creek

Hmmmm I would look at Hamilton mountain before Stoney Creek or somewhere nearer Burlington.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bigals
Hmmmm I would look at Hamilton mountain before Stoney Creek or somewhere nearer Burlington.
lol, that's no help at all!, but thanks for trying
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

why is it of no help,Stoney Creek is ok but its busy and a little run down in my opinion so I am saying look up on the Mountain or towards Aldershot these are both close to the area you are looking but I think you will find what you are looking for
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Al.

I like it up the mountain too, especially near mountain brow blvd as there's access to the trails for walking the dog etc.

Our updated plan is to buy a cheaper house first, and ease ourselves into Canada for the first few years, then maybe move over to Ancaster when we have some savings.

I can do "run down", I plan on having a couple of car projects on the go anyway, so would only bring a nice area down, lol.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

OK now i know the plan of attack then stoney creek will be fine ,cheaper housing ,get into the groove then find the area you really want to bejust remember realestate fees are ott here so have you thought of renting first as realestate fees will nearly cover your first years rent??
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:12 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

OK now i know the plan of attack then stoney creek will be fine ,cheaper housing ,get into the groove then find the area you really want to bejust remember realestate fees are ott here so have you thought of renting first as realestate fees will nearly cover your first years rent??
What real estate fees? He's buying not selling.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
when he sells after the first year or so!!!!!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Quite. To D&A, I quite like Stoney Creek in a sleepy, rundown sort of way. (Keep a good distance from the QEW of course).
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

when he sells after the first year or so!!!!!
I got that. Keeping it for only a couple of years is a good way to make a cheap house expensive.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I got that. Keeping it for only a couple of years is a good way to make a cheap house expensive.
like the idiot i am im just about to lose a boat load of money to realestate again geez when will i learn
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

like the idiot i am im just about to lose a boat load of money to realestate again geez when will i learn
I suppose most property transactions in Canada result in a loss for the seller. It's only people who stay put for decades who can be fairly sure of making a profit. Still, while you have the house, looking after it fills in evenings and weekends that would otherwise be wasted down the pub or sailing or whatever.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

lol, when I mention the possibility of renting, I get a load of strong opinions about throwing money away instead of investing, I can't win that argument.

However, if we buy, as the stay at home dad, I should hopefully be able renovate the house and add some value to it, which you can't do in a rental.

Thanks for the views on Stoney Creek everyone. We will of course check out the area in person rather than hitting the "buy it now" button ;-)
Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
lol, when I mention the possibility of renting, I get a load of strong opinions about throwing money away instead of investing, I can't win that argument.

However, if we buy, as the stay at home dad, I should hopefully be able renovate the house and add some value to it, which you can't do in a rental.
Don't forget initial purchase tax followed by Interest payments, yearly property tax, etc you have to pay while living in your own place, and then realtor fees, etc when selling.

Short term, renting in a brand new country and area is a no brainer. Unless it's a great reno investment property, which i would imagine isn't the best way to spend your very first year of a stressful transition.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Don't forget initial purchase tax followed by Interest payments, yearly property tax, etc you have to pay while living in your own place, and then realtor fees, etc when selling.

Short term, renting in a brand new country and area is a no brainer. Unless it's a great reno investment property, which i would imagine isn't the best way to spend your very first year of a stressful transition.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.