British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Stock up before leaving UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/stock-up-before-leaving-uk-516174/)

Lisa_W Feb 22nd 2008 5:26 am

Re: Stock up before leaving UK

I have found in Sobeys a really nice range of "Imported from England" biscuits - Compliments Sensations Milk Chocolate Shortcake Biscuits. They are the round wheel shaped ones you get in biscuit selection tins at Christmas.

They aren't particularly cheap but I hide them on the top shelf of the cupboard out of sight of less choosy offspring who are quite happy to eat any kind of cookie and aren't bothered about whether the chocolate is made in Canada, USA, England, Outer Mongolia.....

I just help myself to one whenever I feel the need for nice chocolate!! Not quite Thorntons Continental, but they will certainly do! :D

xxalxx Feb 22nd 2008 5:40 am

Sounds like you all take an extra suit case back home to Canada with you after a visit back to the UK :D

Maybe you should set up a district club and just order the stuff in, but then again I dont know what the shipping costs are, it would probably not be worth it....

Al

AlexInBC Feb 22nd 2008 6:06 am

Wish there was an anonymous posting option on here :o but nevermind...

One for the girls - I'd recommend bringing over "Diflucan" (or any of the generic fluconazole equivalents) if it's something you find that you occasionally need, as it's prescription only over here :thumbdown:

burton bunch Feb 22nd 2008 6:13 am

Originally Posted by AlexInBC (Post 5969874)
Wish there was an anonymous posting option on here :o but nevermind...

One for the girls - I'd recommend bringing over "Diflucan" (or any of the generic fluconazole equivalents) if it's something you find that you occasionally need, as it's prescription only over here :thumbdown:

Also girlies please bear in mind that diflucan is a "new" drug over here and doctors do not like to perscribe it and it isn't the same strength as the one we are used to using :frown:

How do I know this - my best mate who is Canadian suffers from bad yeast problems and she had sooooo much trouble getting it perscribed.

Gaynor

BristolUK Feb 22nd 2008 6:21 am

Originally Posted by oldbag (Post 5969182)
Don't buy branded names of any of these painkillers. If you do some comparisons (which I did one morning, cos I'm a real saddo who likes to save $ big time), you'll find generic brands so much better value.

When I look at the prices on the shelves and see that the identical version is two thirds or less, I don't feel such a saddo after all.:)

ann m Feb 22nd 2008 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket (Post 5969669)
I see you have got Iboprufen gel in there. That's definitely on my shopping list too as you need a prescription for it here..

mmm - the Iboprufen gel is a definate need - it wasn't till hubby hurt his shoulder that we realised you can't just pop out and buy some - plus the cystitus stuff which also needs a prescription (which is fine if you can get an appointment with the GP first thing, but useless if an infection takes hold and you have to wait 36 hours!!)

I have a variety of kids stuff in the cupboard, but they don't like the grape and cherry flavours avail here, etc and would rather be ill than suffer something so disagreeable! Holding their nose and putting them in an armlock isn't hugely successful either. Calpol it is, then.

Cyan Feb 22nd 2008 6:31 am

When I came over in 2000 I brought my own wine opener (seriously, I thought Canadians didn't drink wine). Plus, I thought Canadians only shopped at those Eastern Bloc looking Costco outlets, so I bought a whole bunch of M&S / C&A clothes.

chazcanning Feb 22nd 2008 8:19 am

:thumbsup:
What about Heinz Salad Cream

Steve_P Feb 22nd 2008 8:20 am

Originally Posted by chazcanning (Post 5970482)
:thumbsup:
What about Heinz Salad Cream

Readily available at Safeway stores in Calgary.

Juswus Feb 22nd 2008 8:27 am

Squash

Natrel deodorant in Xores smell

mini Lillets

Ainsley Harriot "chocolate heaven" bars

My mum's Yorkshire puds

Sweetex sweeteners

Salad Cream

Crisps in interesting flavours

Crispy Duck

And yes, all the choccies and sweeties that cost a fortune now to buy from brit shops

Mr Bean Feb 22nd 2008 11:16 am

Has anyone mentioned before that the reason Cadburys chocolate tastes different here is because it has bees wax in it.

Because of the heat apparently.

Biiiiink Feb 23rd 2008 12:51 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 5969492)
The Creme Eggs sold over here in the US at Christmas as Holiday Ornament Eggs are imported from the UK but the Easter ones sold in most places are made here by Hersheys...and are sadly different I'm afraid! But I did find UK made Easter ones in Aldi in one of those boxes of 4.

Fwiw, I bought Creme Eggs in Target today and they're British. Scoffed one already and the taste test confirms it too :thumbup:

Madmac Feb 23rd 2008 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 5975446)
Fwiw, I bought Creme Eggs in Target today and they're British. Scoffed one already and the taste test confirms it too :thumbup:

They're not the same unless they're covered in batter and deep fried. :p