British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Steveston, Richmond, BC - what's it like? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/steveston-richmond-bc-whats-like-627282/)

Hammy1976 Aug 24th 2009 3:27 pm

Steveston, Richmond, BC - what's it like?

Anyone living there the noo? or previously? Is it a good family area with a beach etc?

I'd completely written off Richmond for the recce next summer, is that an error?

Trying to plan for making the best use of our time in BC, it's a big place, or so everyone keeps saying :ohmy:

:unsure:

JonboyE Aug 24th 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Steveston, Richmond, BC - what's it like?

Originally Posted by Hammy1976 (Post 7871313)
Anyone living there the noo? or previously? Is it a good family area with a beach etc?

Yes, it is a good family area with a beach. Also, a fishing port, heritage sites, river front restaurants and a good mix of housing. A step away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

I'd completely written off Richmond for the recce next summer, is that an error?
Yes.

ExKiwilass Aug 24th 2009 3:39 pm

Richmond: flat, below sea level, OH & I call it the Bermuda Triangle cos we always get lost there :D , big Asian community, possibily the biggest in the greater vancouver region, Richmond night market & other good shopping, condo towers, good schools same as anywhere in the LM....that's all I got since I don't live there. Now with the Canada line it has easier access to DT Van and the airport....speaking anecdotally, I have friends who've considered Richmond and then ixnayed because they were concerned about themselves and the children being in the minority, they were looking in the built up DT area around the Canada line stations, not sure how true it is/relevant it is to you.

Steveston I've never been too, but it seems popular with young families.

Hammy1976 Aug 24th 2009 3:43 pm

defo worth a visit then, thanks for the advice you nice people :D

the_connors76 Aug 24th 2009 4:50 pm

Hi there, we are currently renting an apartment in Steveston and absolutely love the area! We have a 2 year old and the facilities for families are great.
Massive playground with a great water park, and the community centre has lots of activities for kids.

Definately worth a visit - plus they have the best fish and chips! LOL!!

The4BellsLondon Aug 24th 2009 5:06 pm

Spooky - we went to Steveston on sat for a little ride out and a ice cream - v pretty and lost seems to be going on - but dunno bout living there > ..

Rob_999 Aug 24th 2009 5:25 pm

Trying to plan for making the best use of our time in BC, it's a big place, or so everyone keeps saying :ohmy:

It's a nice area, lots of new developments over the last few years - feels a little touristy (has its plusses and minuses). Make sure you check out the commute - now they've opened the RAV line it might be better...

dboy Aug 25th 2009 2:06 am

I know the area quite well. Its about 40 mins south of Vancouver. Nice spot to spend an afternoon. Neat stores to wander around - also British Store that sells the usual goodies. Cannary - the area used to be a Japanese fishing village.

Nice walk along the front, the wharf for a nice meal - usually lots of entertainers etc. Some nice stores etc.

Worth a visit.

Aviator Aug 25th 2009 3:41 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7872444)
British Store that sells the usual goodies.

Unless it's moved somewhere obscure, this is long gone.

dboy Aug 25th 2009 3:52 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 7872598)

Damn! Never mind there's another one in Point Grey Village - Celtic Treasures:thumbsup:

Lychee Aug 25th 2009 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 7871341)

Steveston & Richmond are like night and day. Definitely head for a visit - you'll be pleasantly surprised that you missed it this entire time! :)

kazchug Aug 25th 2009 4:27 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 7872598)

It's moved onto Chatham St round the corner, was in there today.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 25th 2009 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 7871341)
Richmond: flat, below sea level, OH & I call it the Bermuda Triangle cos we always get lost there :D , big Asian community, possibily the biggest in the greater vancouver region, Richmond night market & other good shopping, condo towers, good schools same as anywhere in the LM....that's all I got since I don't live there. Now with the Canada line it has easier access to DT Van and the airport....speaking anecdotally, I have friends who've considered Richmond and then ixnayed because they were concerned about themselves and the children being in the minority, they were looking in the built up DT area around the Canada line stations, not sure how true it is/relevant it is to you.

57% of Richmonds population is an immigrant. Highest percentage in Canada.

Top countries immigrants come from.

People’s Republic of China (26.8%)
Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region (23.0%)
Other Eastern Asia (e.g. Japan, Korea) (10.0%)
Philippines (9.3%)
India (5.2%)
United Kingdom (4.1%)

Londonuck Aug 25th 2009 8:40 am

You can get great fish from the dock there.

Strange Irish shop there aswell. They were impressed when I brought my Irish mum in.

Lychee Aug 25th 2009 2:36 pm

Steveston is a fantastic place to raise a family due to the community village nature of the place, the quick access to family-friendly amenities (beaches, trails, parks, community centers, sports programs, good schools, art/dance/music/martial arts studios, etc. Even equestrian trails/stables nearby). It's still an area where the people working in the shops and restaurants are the actual owners of the businesses, so there's a lot of heart and soul in the village. People care.

The riverfront has been developed with a large boardwalk, restaurants, and heritage sites: Gulf of Georgia Cannery, Britannia Shipyards, London Farm House. Ice cream shops and many fish & chips places as well (what Steveston is famous for). Great summer festival on July 1st which promotes community spirit. Not to mention, the British Shop (which moved to Chatham Street between First and Second Avenue a year ago). Being on the Fraser River means you get to see a lot of large boats, freighters, fishing boats go by. I think Steveston is still home to the largest fishing fleet in all of Canada (!!!). Public wharves mean you can buy fresh seafood right off the boats. Lots of river estuary wildlife (bald eagles, blue herons, swans). A very stimulating environment for a curious, growing family! :)

The area also has its own sense of history and identity, being older than Vancouver itself, and played a very large part in the fishing industry. As others have said, previous to WWII, it was home to a flourishing Japanese community, and there are aspects of that still. They still celebrate the Japanese connection as the Japanese community were effectively "pioneers" to Steveston.

Over all, a very charming village. Quite different from the rest of Richmond (which is relatively bland, characterless suburbia aside from the insanity of the Asian shopping and restaurants along No 3. Road/Cambie/Hazelbridge). Do visit to see for yourself!