Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Steveston, Richmond, BC - what's it like?

Steveston, Richmond, BC - what's it like?

Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:27 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Steveston, Richmond, BC - what's it like?

Anyone living there the noo? or previously? Is it a good family area with a beach etc?

I'd completely written off Richmond for the recce next summer, is that an error?

Trying to plan for making the best use of our time in BC, it's a big place, or so everyone keeps saying

Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steveston, Richmond, BC - what's it like?

Originally Posted by Hammy1976
Anyone living there the noo? or previously? Is it a good family area with a beach etc?
Yes, it is a good family area with a beach. Also, a fishing port, heritage sites, river front restaurants and a good mix of housing. A step away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

I'd completely written off Richmond for the recce next summer, is that an error?
Yes.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Richmond: flat, below sea level, OH & I call it the Bermuda Triangle cos we always get lost there , big Asian community, possibily the biggest in the greater vancouver region, Richmond night market & other good shopping, condo towers, good schools same as anywhere in the LM....that's all I got since I don't live there. Now with the Canada line it has easier access to DT Van and the airport....speaking anecdotally, I have friends who've considered Richmond and then ixnayed because they were concerned about themselves and the children being in the minority, they were looking in the built up DT area around the Canada line stations, not sure how true it is/relevant it is to you.

Steveston I've never been too, but it seems popular with young families.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Aug 24th 2009 at 3:44 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:43 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

defo worth a visit then, thanks for the advice you nice people
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

the_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud of

Hi there, we are currently renting an apartment in Steveston and absolutely love the area! We have a 2 year old and the facilities for families are great.
Massive playground with a great water park, and the community centre has lots of activities for kids.

Definately worth a visit - plus they have the best fish and chips! LOL!!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:06 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Spooky - we went to Steveston on sat for a little ride out and a ice cream - v pretty and lost seems to be going on - but dunno bout living there > ..
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:25 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to plan for making the best use of our time in BC, it's a big place, or so everyone keeps saying

It's a nice area, lots of new developments over the last few years - feels a little touristy (has its plusses and minuses). Make sure you check out the commute - now they've opened the RAV line it might be better...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:06 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the area quite well. Its about 40 mins south of Vancouver. Nice spot to spend an afternoon. Neat stores to wander around - also British Store that sells the usual goodies. Cannary - the area used to be a Japanese fishing village.

Nice walk along the front, the wharf for a nice meal - usually lots of entertainers etc. Some nice stores etc.

Worth a visit.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:41 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
British Store that sells the usual goodies.
Unless it's moved somewhere obscure, this is long gone.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:52 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Damn! Never mind there's another one in Point Grey Village - Celtic Treasures
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Steveston & Richmond are like night and day. Definitely head for a visit - you'll be pleasantly surprised that you missed it this entire time!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It's moved onto Chatham St round the corner, was in there today.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Richmond: flat, below sea level, OH & I call it the Bermuda Triangle cos we always get lost there , big Asian community, possibily the biggest in the greater vancouver region, Richmond night market & other good shopping, condo towers, good schools same as anywhere in the LM....that's all I got since I don't live there. Now with the Canada line it has easier access to DT Van and the airport....speaking anecdotally, I have friends who've considered Richmond and then ixnayed because they were concerned about themselves and the children being in the minority, they were looking in the built up DT area around the Canada line stations, not sure how true it is/relevant it is to you.

57% of Richmonds population is an immigrant. Highest percentage in Canada.

Top countries immigrants come from.

People’s Republic of China (26.8%)
Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region (23.0%)
Other Eastern Asia (e.g. Japan, Korea) (10.0%)
Philippines (9.3%)
India (5.2%)
United Kingdom (4.1%)
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:40 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

You can get great fish from the dock there.

Strange Irish shop there aswell. They were impressed when I brought my Irish mum in.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Steveston is a fantastic place to raise a family due to the community village nature of the place, the quick access to family-friendly amenities (beaches, trails, parks, community centers, sports programs, good schools, art/dance/music/martial arts studios, etc. Even equestrian trails/stables nearby). It's still an area where the people working in the shops and restaurants are the actual owners of the businesses, so there's a lot of heart and soul in the village. People care.

The riverfront has been developed with a large boardwalk, restaurants, and heritage sites: Gulf of Georgia Cannery, Britannia Shipyards, London Farm House. Ice cream shops and many fish & chips places as well (what Steveston is famous for). Great summer festival on July 1st which promotes community spirit. Not to mention, the British Shop (which moved to Chatham Street between First and Second Avenue a year ago). Being on the Fraser River means you get to see a lot of large boats, freighters, fishing boats go by. I think Steveston is still home to the largest fishing fleet in all of Canada (!!!). Public wharves mean you can buy fresh seafood right off the boats. Lots of river estuary wildlife (bald eagles, blue herons, swans). A very stimulating environment for a curious, growing family!

The area also has its own sense of history and identity, being older than Vancouver itself, and played a very large part in the fishing industry. As others have said, previous to WWII, it was home to a flourishing Japanese community, and there are aspects of that still. They still celebrate the Japanese connection as the Japanese community were effectively "pioneers" to Steveston.

Over all, a very charming village. Quite different from the rest of Richmond (which is relatively bland, characterless suburbia aside from the insanity of the Asian shopping and restaurants along No 3. Road/Cambie/Hazelbridge). Do visit to see for yourself!

Last edited by Lychee; Aug 25th 2009 at 2:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.