Vancouver
56.25%
UK
43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Stay in Canada or study in the uk?

Old May 29th 2018, 3:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in Canada or study in the uk?

Originally Posted by glendem4
The UK is a great place to experience life. As Dr Johnson once said, when you are bored of London, you are board of life. There are so many great cities to discover, like Edinburgh, Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds and smaller places like Brighton, Bath, Cambridge and Oxford. Visit the beautiful highlands in Scotland, the golden beaches on the western isles, the history and castles and stately homes of England, the historical parks like Snowdonia in Wales or the Lake District in the north of England. Then there is Europe on your doorstep......go for it......it will be the best move you ever make....
I'm quite sure that Dr. Johnson used a spell checker. But this an ironic post anyway from someone headed in the other direction.

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 29th 2018 at 4:00 pm.
Old May 29th 2018, 4:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm quite sure that Dr. Johnson used a spell checker. But this an ironic post anyway from someone headed in the other direction.
I see what you did there.
Old May 29th 2018, 4:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I see what you did there.
Thank you. This is usually a tough crowd.
Old May 29th 2018, 8:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
https://goo.gl/images/gwbb3i
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 1:03 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thought there is a fat lot of difference between London and Vancouver especially in the optometry stakes. And this is really about where to go to university, not where he wants to live ultimately. I doubt the education would be any better in London so if it's cheaper in Vancouver, do it in Vancouver and worry about moving to the UK later. I know it would probably require some slight retraining to qualify to do it in the UK but that still seems the cheaper option. And if the spouse doesn't want to go to the UK that would put a lot of strain on the marriage I assume. Immigration isn't that big of a deal seeing as he's married to a British citizen.

Vancouver and London are both crowded cities where people speak English and there are loads of immigrants, the only advantage I can see is that you'd be able to explore Europe a bit if you lived there.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 10:39 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I wouldn't have thought there is a fat lot of difference between London and Vancouver especially in the optometry stakes. And this is really about where to go to university, not where he wants to live ultimately. I doubt the education would be any better in London so if it's cheaper in Vancouver, do it in Vancouver and worry about moving to the UK later. I know it would probably require some slight retraining to qualify to do it in the UK but that still seems the cheaper option. And if the spouse doesn't want to go to the UK that would put a lot of strain on the marriage I assume. Immigration isn't that big of a deal seeing as he's married to a British citizen.

Vancouver and London are both crowded cities where people speak English and there are loads of immigrants, the only advantage I can see is that you'd be able to explore Europe a bit if you lived there.
Vancouver must have a better quality of life surely. The rent is expensive but what I've read before is that people pay a premium to live in a city that offers the kind of lifestyle that Vancouver can.

Meanwhile, people tend to move in London for the work opportunities or sense of adventure that it offers. I would struggle to think of any major western city that offers a poorer quality of life or level of value than London. The accomodation standard there is insanely overpriced and crap, the public transport is aged and it costs a fortune to get anywhere, and it's extremely overpopulated.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 1:51 am
Just Joined

siddom is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Vancouver must have a better quality of life surely. The rent is expensive but what I've read before is that people pay a premium to live in a city that offers the kind of lifestyle that Vancouver can.

Meanwhile, people tend to move in London for the work opportunities or sense of adventure that it offers. I would struggle to think of any major western city that offers a poorer quality of life or level of value than London. The accomodation standard there is insanely overpriced and crap, the public transport is aged and it costs a fortune to get anywhere, and it's extremely overpopulated.
If I go to the UK, I plan on living in Devon or SE England....would those places offer a good quality of life?
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 5:50 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by siddom
If I go to the UK, I plan on living in Devon or SE England....would those places offer a good quality of life?
SE England is one of the most expensive areas in the world and often comes with long commutes, high rents and poor quality old rental accommodation.

Devon is likely to be far more relaxed and is more rural. I wouldn't particularly want to live there but then again everyone is different.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Dorset is a beautiful county an a lot closer to London. You can travel from Bournemouth into London Waterloo in around 110 minutes. Devon is more rural and further away from major conurbations. However, the real estate prices are still quite high compared to the rest of the U.K. If I was going to work in London and commute, I would consider Suffolk , north east of London as a better choice, especially if you are working in the city of London or Canary Wharf. For the first few years I suggest you take the financial hit and live in London. The money and time you save in commuting should help with the costs.

P. S. We have just moved to Toronto and decided to live here for a few years before buying out of town. Although the cost to rent is 40% more than Barrie, we do not need a car in town and our commute into town is 12 minutes on the subway.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 9:19 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by glendem4

Dorset is a beautiful county an a lot closer to London. You can travel from Bournemouth into London Waterloo in around 110 minutes. Devon is more rural and further away from major conurbations. However, the real estate prices are still quite high compared to the rest of the U.K. If I was going to work in London and commute, I would consider Suffolk , north east of London as a better choice, especially if you are working in the city of London or Canary Wharf. For the first few years I suggest you take the financial hit and live in London. The money and time you save in commuting should help with the costs.

P. S. We have just moved to Toronto and decided to live here for a few years before buying out of town. Although the cost to rent is 40% more than Barrie, we do not need a car in town and our commute into town is 12 minutes on the subway.
Where are you living in Toronto just out of curiosity?

​​​​​​I have noticed that the rents have increased a fair bit since I was last there 6 years ago. Back then you could rent a 2 bedroom downtown for around $2k a month including water and hydro but now that seems like the going rate for a 1 bedroom.

That's just going from what I've seen on Craigslist and Kijiji though. If you've found any better sites then please let me know.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

So
you're in England studying now.
You've never got sponsorship so you will get employment.
we don't know about a visa
you have a partner who is British but you're not living together.
Your UK optometry qualms wont transfer to Canada
you can move back home to Vancouver and live free. Living off parents? At your age? What about your partner, what fo they want to do?
you think the quality of life would be better in Vancouver than in England, Why?
Old Jun 5th 2018, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Warwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to behold

Hello everyone.

I have this issue where I cannot make up my mind given the differences in both the UK and CANADA.

I went to study in the UK with the intention of coming back to Canada, but this might be tough due to recent changes in rules. As such, if I complete my studies in the UK I would have to stay there since the education would not convert over to Canada as I once originally thought. If all goes well I should get citizenship there.

I am from Vancouver BC where I have a pretty decent life, but no career projections as im in my 30s now. My plan is should I finish school in the UK and settle there with a job paying me 40-50k pounds or stay in Canada with i guess a better quality of life, but a poor career outlook.

In Vancouver I have no rent, the quality of life is great plus my family is with me, whereas it is opposite in the UK for me, but the future looks better.

Cheers!
There's more to life than a big fat salary. I would recommend you take the lifestyle, it sounds as though you already have it pretty nice. Enjoy and consolidate it - wishing you the best of luck either way :-)

Old Jun 5th 2018, 3:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warwickbowman

There's more to life than a big fat salary. I would recommend you take the lifestyle, it sounds as though you already have it pretty nice. Enjoy and consolidate it - wishing you the best of luck either way :-)

I suggested going away to study because it always seems a good idea to go somewhere else to study. That would be doubly the case for someone in his or her 30s who has not yet left home.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 11:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine Victoria and everyone is driving on the other side of the road and you've pretty much got most of the UK. Victoria has to be the most British-like non-British place in the world. "SE England" covers a huge amount of territory, because the UK has an extremely high population density. But Kent is about as interesting as watching paint dry. Devon is where people retire to imx.

but my career projections are etter in the uk
Don't quite get that comment either, there are already plenty of optometrists in the UK, the demand tends to be based on the growth in population and seeing as Asians have horrible eyesight and they move to Vancouver in droves, can't see why you'd be better off career-wise in the UK.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

SE - Brighton (on the coast) - an hour and a bit from London, great City.
SE - Outer London (Bromley Kent area) / Royal Tunbridge Wells / Sevenoaks

Devon - Exeter or Plymouth - both large Cities

Whilst it's not exactly Devon, look at Bristol too.

It's pointless picking an area unless you are going to be able to get a permit to work though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.