Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Static electricity

Static electricity

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 5:51 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Static electricity

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
I always was rubbish at science!! Sorry!!

Lisa
Hey, I wasn't aiming that at anyone in particular, Lisa

I took off a fleece jacket immediately before going to the fridge for a beer yesterday evening, while wearing said slippers... ZZZAPPP! As I said to OH, if you didn't want me to have a beer you just had to say so, there's no need to booby trap the fridge
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Static electricity

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I always thought that with static electricity wellies were the last thing you should wear - with rubber-soled shoes there's no route to earth for any static charge you build up so it all zaps to the fridge, sink, those little screws on the faceplates of lightswitches (ouch) or wherever. Don't people in electronics factories and similar environments wear conductive overshoes to ground themselves and prevent static discharge?

It's quite possible that I've got completely the wrong end of the stick on this one, but I'm sure I've found I get more static shocks when wearing (rubber-soled) slippers round the house than when padding about in socks or bare feet.
Heres me sorting me wellies out,what do i wear then? Otherwise i,ll end up with huge hair and sore fingers

Mandi
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always getting zapped or zapping the cat! I think a lot of the problem has to do with nylon carpet and the general lack of natural fibres in furniture and flooring as I never had this problem in the UK! Maybe I'm wrong - I too was cr@p at science!!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I've had the static problem ever since moving to Canada as well. The door to my office at work is metal with a metal handle and I can't open it without a static shock. I also get really dry skin on my hands as well. I personally think it is the excessive use of air conditioning as it causes a really dry atmostphere and also if you have forced air heat as well in winter and no decent humidifier. It gets better in summer when outside as it is so humid but inside the air conditioning is cranked up and it is the same.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Bigboybuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
I always was rubbish at science!! Sorry!!

Lisa
Oakvillian you are correct. You are better off walking around bare foot. I find it in the UK with some trainers on a hot summers day.
Dont wear rubber boots it will be worse. Better off with rubber gloves but you will look a idiot with those on all day.LOL
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

yes worst thing is to have plastic sole shoes, you know the really cheap ones on nylon carpet, you would generate the most potential,

ive had that if you ware rubber sole shoes, and my wife is bare foot, go to kiss her good bye zapp across the lips that hurts
Old Apr 5th 2007, 5:56 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I don't quite understand how this happens but I don't have any problems at all with static electricity, none zip, nadda.

Perhaps the longer you're here the less of a problem it becomes.

I should be so bloody lucky - every damn day, ouch! sting! zap! pow! it's like i'm starring in my own Batman series! LOL
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

This should be fun - if there's static electricity to be found I'm the one to find it. Looks like I'll be walking around Calgary with a permanent twitch - I'll end up a nervous wreck

Lynne
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:32 am
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beastie
This should be fun - if there's static electricity to be found I'm the one to find it. Looks like I'll be walking around Calgary with a permanent twitch - I'll end up a nervous wreck

Lynne
Set yourself up as a welder?
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I kick my car door shut rather than touch it, that always draws mystified looks...
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:56 am
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I kick my car door shut rather than touch it, that always draws mystified looks...
....particulalry from the dealership body shop. Are you a regular there by any chance or do you wear soft shoes....?
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:21 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
with cars you can usually avoid a shock by holding on to a metal bit (the edge of the door, for example) as you get out - then as you earth yourself on contact with the ground there's already a path for the static discharge. What gives you the "zap" is the charge jumping across a v small gap just as you make contact with the door.

BTW to return to the welly boots issue - to avoid getting a shock from the car, you should be wearing wellies, because it's the car that's insulated (rubber tyres, see?) and you that provide the path to earth. While you're in the car you and it are at the same electric potential, then when you get out all that static electricity runs to earth through your body.

So really we should all be driving in big rubber-soled boots, then taking them off and padding barefoot into the house. Sounds like Canada in the winter, eh?
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
with cars you can usually avoid a shock by holding on to a metal bit (the edge of the door, for example) as you get out - then as you earth yourself on contact with the ground there's already a path for the static discharge. What gives you the "zap" is the charge jumping across a v small gap just as you make contact with the door.

BTW to return to the welly boots issue - to avoid getting a shock from the car, you should be wearing wellies, because it's the car that's insulated (rubber tyres, see?) and you that provide the path to earth. While you're in the car you and it are at the same electric potential, then when you get out all that static electricity runs to earth through your body.

So really we should all be driving in big rubber-soled boots, then taking them off and padding barefoot into the house. Sounds like Canada in the winter, eh?
Thank god someone agrees or id have bought wellies for nothing
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandi moo
Hi,can anyone tell me if the stories ive heard about the static in Calgary are true?
I get zapped wherever i go in Newcastle and ive heard its really bad in Calgary
I,ll be the one walking round in a big rubber suit lol

thanks

Mandi x
Does anyone know how many electricians it takes to make electricity static?
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:19 am
Been there, done that

Originally Posted by steve666
Does anyone know how many electricians it takes to make electricity static?
You've got to grab it and hold it still so I'm saying seven

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.