Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Starchoice Satellite

Starchoice Satellite

Old Oct 15th 2004, 5:33 pm
Glaswegian

Default Starchoice Satellite

Anyone got Starchoice satellite TV in western Canada - are they any good?

Old Oct 15th 2004, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Starchoice Satellite

I've got in in Eastern Canada and it aok...although I must say in summer it is abit of a waste of time due to all the repeats! But it is good for long winters. Another thing is alot of shows are repeated due to getting every station from across Canada so if you miss it on your own time you can catch it on anothers time.....great if you miss Corrie!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
We had Starchoice. I have no opinion on it: you pays your money, you gets your channels.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
We had Starchoice. I have no opinion on it: you pays your money, you gets your channels.
...and you do get a HUGE number of channels .
They aren't too bad apart from the constant sales calls at 9pm! Its all very repetative as we get all the CTV channels and so can watch a whole Monday evening of the one episode of CSI Miami if we want...yeah right 'course we want to do that! On the plus side you do get news from one side of the country to the next.
The other thing is that they occasionally change the channels available in the 'bundle' packages. We lost BBC World one night and I refuse to pay extra for it. The only one thing that's a serious problem is something that no-one will tell you. If snow lands on your LNB...or whatever the receiver thingy's called...you loose the picture. We've never been told this by anyone until we lost viewing for one night and finally Starchoice told us so keep a broom handy and the dish accessable.

We don't think its a bad choice for the price.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Smokey
...and you do get a HUGE number of channels .
They aren't too bad apart from the constant sales calls at 9pm! Its all very repetative as we get all the CTV channels and so can watch a whole Monday evening of the one episode of CSI Miami if we want...yeah right 'course we want to do that! On the plus side you do get news from one side of the country to the next.
The other thing is that they occasionally change the channels available in the 'bundle' packages. We lost BBC World one night and I refuse to pay extra for it. The only one thing that's a serious problem is something that no-one will tell you. If snow lands on your LNB...or whatever the receiver thingy's called...you loose the picture. We've never been told this by anyone until we lost viewing for one night and finally Starchoice told us so keep a broom handy and the dish accessable.

We don't think its a bad choice for the price.
You raise a good point, Starchoice is very good at increasing the price of their packages, whilst simultaneously decreasing the number of channels in the package, especially the popular channels (I was still in Calgary when we lost BBC World).

But I assumed that this sort of package ripping-offing was simply the case with every TV service, especially since there is no competition (Shaw cable owns Starchoice).
Old Nov 1st 2004, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Ross43 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I was with Starchoice and am moving over to Bell expressvu for 2 main reasons
1) When I originally got Starchoice a few years ago I was told they would cover any moving and hook up charges. Having just moved they now want to knob me for $100. Bottom Line they don't hold to their word.
2) They decided to change their packages and all of a sudden I lost one of my favoriite channels only to find out they were again trying to knob me for more money.

They offer you one thing and then change the deal mid stream.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:00 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Ross43
1) When I originally got Starchoice a few years ago I was told they would cover any moving and hook up charges. Having just moved they now want to knob me for $100. Bottom Line they don't hold to their word.
2) They decided to change their packages and all of a sudden I lost one of my favoriite channels only to find out they were again trying to knob me for more money.

For the moment they're cheaper than Bell .... if they try to stiff me after the fisrt year is up, I'll move.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ross43

That's wierd....we've just moved a few weeks ago. We went online and advised them we were moving giving the three weeks requested notice. Got caught up and didn't phone them to query why we hadn't heard from anyone to be told we had our order cancelled! Suffice it to say, they arranged for a blokie to do an install, we got our free new dish and it all works fairly ok and all for free. No questions, no fleecing, no spondoolies mentioned.

That said, I still miss BBC World and absolutly refuse to pay more.