Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Standards of driving in Canada

Standards of driving in Canada

Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standards of driving in Canada

Quality of driving in Toronto is definitely lower than in London. People just don't seem to have any attention span at all and NEVER use their wing mirrors ... and freeways are just a *****ing free for all with no rule of law in terms of passing. I am genuinely worried about driving on those freeways when winter sets in - anyone else?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:19 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
I am genuinely worried about driving on those freeways when winter sets in - anyone else?
Grow a pair

And drive defensively, or buy a large truck.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:58 am
Just Joined

kirkio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by terese677
It's not just Ottawa, believe me Vancouver is just as bad, I could write a novel about the insane drivers that I have encountered here
The standard of driving in the GTA is also terrible, no wonder the insurance is so high!

Yesterday on the way to work one car went into a ditch, one had flipped over onto its roof (no idea how) and another was rear-ended by a truck - all this before 630am on a dry day with good visibility.... I dread the snow and ice - i will stay in bed on the first day!!!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by R I C H
Grow a pair

Big Truck? Excellent idea .... While you're at it, take off those annoying wing mirrors (they don't get used anyway) and don't forget to wear your baseball cap on backwards as well!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by London Mike
Quality of driving in Toronto is definitely lower than in London. People just don't seem to have any attention span at all and NEVER use their wing mirrors ... and freeways are just a *****ing free for all with no rule of law in terms of passing. I am genuinely worried about driving on those freeways when winter sets in - anyone else?
The safest thing to do is assume that other drivers ARE going to do the unexpected. Take care, be observant, sit back and laugh at the antics of the funniest driving show in the world.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:41 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Grow a pair

LOL, or just stick to the left hand lane and pass everyone there...

I really dont have a problem driving on the 401 etc around TO, stick to the "fast lane" and keep up with traffic. If its covered in snow and ice, stick to the "slow lane" and go safely.

Install snow tires, engage brain, dont worry about the other drivers out there. Far too many people posting here seemed obsessed by what other people do on the road. If you pay attention to what you are doing then they shouldnt be a problem.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 28th 2010 at 12:44 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

kirkio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
LOL, or just stick to the left hand lane and pass everyone there...

I really dont have a problem driving on the 401 etc around TO, stick to the "fast lane" and keep up with traffic. If its covered in snow and ice, stick to the "slow lane" and go safely.

Install snow tires, engage brain, dont worry about the other drivers out there. Far too many people posting here seemed obsessed by what other people do on the road. If you pay attention to what you are doing then they shouldnt be a problem.
Good advice...