Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stalling on PR application

Stalling on PR application

Old Feb 12th 2014, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default Stalling on PR application

We've been in Vancouver a year, have BC PNP but have been putting off our PR app, going back and forth on whether we should do it. The deadline is soon approaching and we're still not sure whether we want to chuck another $1,000 at it.

Anyone else been in this situ?

Are we stupid for not going through with it?

My partner has a good job, I don't (but that's another story). We love the nature here and the civilised and friendly people, although that said, I struggle to have the same connection that i find with Brits and fellow Europeans.

All advice welcome!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:01 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stalling on PR application

Um - do you wanna stay in Canada or not????
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

ookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the rough

why wouldn't you apply for PR, with the immigration process's being reviewed and tightened up by the Canadian government I would be putting my application in as soon as possible, yes it is a process that cost money but obtaining PR will give you choices!!! Surely it is better to have the choice to stay should you decide too.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
thats the million dollar question. Perhaps not enough to stay permanently. But I'm not exactly thrilled by the idea of returning to the UK either.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:27 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
My thought's exactly, surely its not that difficult to decide
Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
thats the million dollar question. Perhaps not enough to stay permanently. But I'm not exactly thrilled by the idea of returning to the UK either.
You may want to read this if not submitting a PR application

Most people can come to Canada to work for a maximum of four years. If you are currently working or plan to work in Canada, you should keep track of the total time you have worked and plan to work in Canada. Once you have completed four years of work as a temporary foreign worker in Canada, you will not be eligible to work in Canada again until another period of four years has passed.

Before you are eligible to work again in Canada, you will need to spend four consecutive years either:

outside of Canada; or
in Canada but not working ( i.e. with legal status as a visitor or student).
At that point, you can apply for a work permit and you can start another four years of working in Canada.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bellanova
My thought's exactly, surely its not that difficult to decide
decision making isn't one of my strengths, hence my coming on an internet forum and asking strangers for advice.

Over-analysing....now that's something I excel at.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You may want to read this if not submitting a PR application

Most people can come to Canada to work for a maximum of four years. If you are currently working or plan to work in Canada, you should keep track of the total time you have worked and plan to work in Canada. Once you have completed four years of work as a temporary foreign worker in Canada, you will not be eligible to work in Canada again until another period of four years has passed.

Before you are eligible to work again in Canada, you will need to spend four consecutive years either:

outside of Canada; or
in Canada but not working ( i.e. with legal status as a visitor or student).
At that point, you can apply for a work permit and you can start another four years of working in Canada.
good to know. But think we could get a third work permit and then go down the Canadian experience route. Should it come to that.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

good to know. But think we could get a third work permit and then go down the Canadian experience route. Should it come to that.
Perhaps you should bear in mind the new legislation that they are trying to bring in from January 2015 - you may not have that choice much longer.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824878
.....To that end, Economic Action Plan 2014 proposes to provide $14.0 million over two years and $4.7 million per year ongoing to launch a new recruitment model—the Expression of Interest system—in January 2015.

The Expression of Interest system would allow the Government of Canada, provinces and territories, and employers to actively target highly skilled immigrants under key economic immigration programs, including the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program and the Canadian Experience Class. Under the Expression of Interest system, candidates would make an online submission to express interest in coming to Canada and provide information about their skills and experience.

The Government would only invite the most highly ranked candidates to submit an application for permanent residence.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:40 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe Vancouver isn't the place you want to be?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Vancouver a year, have BC PNP but have been putting off our PR app, going back and forth on whether we should do it. The deadline is soon approaching and we're still not sure whether we want to chuck another $1,000 at it.

Anyone else been in this situ?

Are we stupid for not going through with it?

My partner has a good job, I don't (but that's another story). We love the nature here and the civilised and friendly people, although that said, I struggle to have the same connection that i find with Brits and fellow Europeans.

All advice welcome!
Do it!!! $1000 is nothing in the grand scheme of things and you will never get an easier opportunity to emigrate than what you have now.

Say you get PR, stay another couple of year then go back. You might love being back in the UK or you might not. At least you have options.

Last edited by tee1; Feb 14th 2014 at 6:23 am.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 8:41 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like someone who will regret either decision. So roll the dice.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 4:41 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a time limit on the PNP?

When I got SINP in 2010 they only gave me 6 months to submit the federal application or the PNP would be withdrawn.

Use it or lose it.