Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is squash sold in Canada?

Is squash sold in Canada?

Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

wasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud of
Default Is squash sold in Canada?

As in the drink, not fruit. Like Robinsons. I'm going to Canada soon and I drink it all the time and wondering if it's sold there?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:14 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is squash sold in Canada?

Originally Posted by wasss
As in the drink, not fruit. Like Robinsons. I'm going to Canada soon and I drink it all the time and wondering if it's sold there?
google British food stores or British treats in Canada

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2014...ts_in_toronto/

http://www.celtictreasurechest.com/products/grocery.htm

http://www.simplybritishfoods.com

also

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...drinks-621605/

Last edited by not2old; Mar 6th 2017 at 12:20 am.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

You can get it in shops that sell British foods but it's quite expensive. I used to drink Robinsons by the gallon in the UK, I bought it here once (as a Christmas treat to my self) and didn't really like it. Last year some visitors bought me Robinsons concentrated squash but I have not drunk it yet - may be worth packing some to help wean you off it!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

wasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud of

Are there any Canadian alternatives? I had no idea squash was a British thing lol.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody in Canada knows what squash is and it is not consumed in Canada (although you can find imported squash if you know where to look). If you ask for squash in Canada, you'll get referred to pumpkins.

The Canadian market tends to prefer frozen fruit juice/drinks from concentrate or tetrapak juice/fruit drinks (Minute Maid, SunRype, etc). Or pre-mixed fruit drinks like Snapple. Some argue it's because Canada has always had the space and the refrigeration necessary so that squash was never a necessity. For whatever reason, it has never been a part of the local culture.

Last edited by Lychee; Mar 6th 2017 at 1:01 am.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can get it sometimes in Food Basics and most certainly British stores. Rybena is available most places I've found.

Alternatives are things like the frozen ones that you dilute (Welsh's) Welch's Juice Concentrates - most stores have their own brand ones (including orange), or those little plastic containers of concentrate http://www.makeitmio.com/en/original. You can buy squash from Amazon too, though it's not cheap.

If you're on your way and bringing any luggage, perhaps buy some of the small Robinsons concentrates to help tide you over til you find something you like. https://www.robinsonssquash.co.uk/ou...range/#SquashD

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 6th 2017 at 1:07 am.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby likes to add something to his water so buys Mio.
http://www.makeitmio.com/

I'm happy with water but some of the flavours are really nice. It costs about $4.50 and makes 24 glasses. I think.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure I've seen Ribena a number of times in Shoppers and London Drugs, might even be in the Asian food section of grocery stores too.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps someone has tried this recipe

Copycat Super Healthy Robinson’s Fruit Shoot

Serves: 1 litre
Prep time: 2 mins
Total time: 2 mins

Ingredients

1 Litre Water
3 Medium Fresh Oranges

Instructions

In a large one litre jug chop into quarters the oranges and place them at the bottom. Fill it to the top with hot boiled water direct from the kettle. Leave in the fridge for a few hours or until the water is chilled and serve.

Notes
This works with most fruit but we prefer it with oranges. A mix of citrus fruit also tastes amazing.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Ribena is sold in Canadian superstore. We buy it regularly, it is always on the shelf at the one near us at signal hill, therefore it should be in all branches.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 3:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said, Ribena is readily available as is Lime cordial. Robinsons and the from specialty import stores. You can get cool aid, ready mixed and frozen stuff you add water too and some squirty things.

I buy from the import store.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:51 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be a squash drinker but not now we live here. I started to wonder why I liked it so much once I couldnt get it in its recognizable form. Now I just water down my fruit juice or drink water.
Thank God you can get Pimms here
Old Mar 6th 2017, 1:18 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of trouble sourcing Bitter Lemon for mixers
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I use either the powder mixes (cystal light style) or the little squirty bottles of highly concentrated flavor (2 -3 squirts per 2 litre of water). Get these at any grocery store
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
A lot of trouble sourcing Bitter Lemon for mixers
Assimilate more. Obviously Brits are used to Bitter Lemon mixers Im tending to think Canadians not as much. Be adventurous try something else in your gin and vodka.

This company seems to have a distributor in Canada for Fever-Tree Bitter Lemon
TFB & Associates Limited 210-7300 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, Canada, L3R 9Z6 TFB & Associates | Importers and distributors of fine UK, European, and Domestic products for the Canadian Marketplace
Bitter Lemon, Fevertree, Premium mixers, premium tonic, Lemonade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.