Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Spruce Grove Opinions

Spruce Grove Opinions

Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Chick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to all
Default Spruce Grove Opinions

Does anyone have any info on Spruce Grove, AB? It's one of the places that we're considering.

I've found loads of info and pictures on line, but I'd really appreciate thoughts and opinions of people who have lived there or spent time there.

Also, what's the weather like there, especially the snow?

Thanks.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

caseguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spruce Grove Opinions

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee
Does anyone have any info on Spruce Grove, AB? It's one of the places that we're considering.

I've found loads of info and pictures on line, but I'd really appreciate thoughts and opinions of people who have lived there or spent time there.

Also, what's the weather like there, especially the snow?

Thanks.
Hello, I can tell you first hand what Spruce Grove is like, I've lived there. I also have lived near Spruce Grove all of my life. It is a very quiet town with the amenaties close by. It's only about 8 km west of the city of Edmonton, AB. It's located on hwy 16 which leads to Jasper National Park (approx 3 hr drive).
The weather is pretty much the same as all of central Alberta. Winters can get cold, as cold as -35C but that's rare and usually only for 4 or 5 days. The remainder of the time it is generally fairly mild. To give you an example of the winter temps, my 10 year old son plays hockey in an outdoor league and they will not allow the kids to play when the temperature dips to -15 C or colder and they only missed one week last year. The snow again varies. Most winters here there hasn't been an over abundance of it. You get used to it and quite enjoy it even. We had some friends move here last year from England and were out sledging, snowboarding or skiing at every opportunity.
Spruce Grove again is quite desirable for people because it is so close to Edmonton and yet it's far enough away that it maintains a small town feeling.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. My email is [email protected]

Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Chick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to all

Thank you Caseguy - I was beginning to think that nobody had any info for me!

I'll definitely let you know if I have any more questions.

Spruce Grove really appeals and what you've said just backs up what I thought. However, we've a long way to go yet, as we've not even submitted a PR application yet!

Thanks again.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee
Thank you Caseguy - I was beginning to think that nobody had any info for me!

I'll definitely let you know if I have any more questions.

Spruce Grove really appeals and what you've said just backs up what I thought. However, we've a long way to go yet, as we've not even submitted a PR application yet!

Thanks again.
No worries and you're welcome.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

We have only just come back from a recce and spruce grove was really nice. There are a lot of houses popping up and we visited a few show homes etc. You do not get a lot of back yard with the newer homes, but there are plenty of parks etc so it is really not an issue.

We would move there, but St. Albert would probably be our first choice although the taxes are higher.

Whatever one I think you would be happy there

JET
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JET747
We have only just come back from a recce and spruce grove was really nice. There are a lot of houses popping up and we visited a few show homes etc. You do not get a lot of back yard with the newer homes, but there are plenty of parks etc so it is really not an issue.

We would move there, but St. Albert would probably be our first choice although the taxes are higher.

Whatever one I think you would be happy there

JET
Hi JET, You're right in saying that the newer homes are generally on a smaller lot. I too prefer St Albert and have lived here in St Albert for the past 18 years. Are looking at buying here? Let me know. Thanks
Old Nov 16th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Caseguy how's it going ?

Yes, if one of my numerous applications to the Oilsands companies who fly in fly out develops further we certainly will be heading to St. Albert. Being Catholic it would also be good for us that the public schools in St. Albert are Catholic - not that this was the biggest consideration.

So if we do get a break soon maybe we could catch up at the local ?

Jet
Old Nov 16th 2008, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JET747
Caseguy how's it going ?

Yes, if one of my numerous applications to the Oilsands companies who fly in fly out develops further we certainly will be heading to St. Albert. Being Catholic it would also be good for us that the public schools in St. Albert are Catholic - not that this was the biggest consideration.

So if we do get a break soon maybe we could catch up at the local ?

Jet
Hi Jet. Sounds good. If you do decide to move to St Albert or Edmonton area, let me know as I can help you if you are going to buy a home as I am a local realtor here. And yes we can definately get caught in one of the pubs.
caseguy
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Oooh decisions, decisions! I'll have to check out St Albert too!

Thanks guys!