Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Spring general election?

Spring general election?

Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring general election?

Just remembered there was a poll reported on CBC yesterday that actually shows that hockey player chap to be most popular with the voters.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Just remembered there was a poll reported on CBC yesterday that actually shows that hockey player chap to be most popular with the voters.

Ty Domi would certainly be a winning candidate in Toronto but I suppose you mean Ken Dryden.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:12 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Exactly right on.
Please explain to me why any private citizen should have a gun in their home, legally registered or not.

I will accept farmers (pest control).

People that belong to gun clubs? The guns should stay at the club, under lock and key.

Hunters? People that enjoy killing things are probably not the sort of people that should allowed anywhere near weapons.

Mid-20's urbanites have no legitimate reason to possess guns.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Please explain to me why any private citizen should have a gun in their home, legally registered or not.
We shoot the raccoons. You don't need to be on a farm to have a pest control problem.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ty Domi would certainly be a winning candidate in Toronto but I suppose you mean Ken Dryden.
Yes that's the fellow. Incredibly memorable, isn't he?
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yes that's the fellow. Incredibly memorable, isn't he?
I can't recall anything he's said so, for me, that makes him a good candidate. I don't want a government that has policies or plans and I don't want new laws. I like that senator who has his pay mailed to him in the south seas, he does as little harm as anyone in government.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hunters? People that enjoy killing things are probably not the sort of people that should allowed anywhere near weapons.
Lots of hunters in Canada. Majority are well balanced individuals, or at least as well balanced as your average Canadian. Hunting rifles or shotguns tend not to be the weapon of choice of your goth-vampirefreak-assault weapon-wielding-psychopath. Most hunters round these parts at least kill to eat their prey. Still, agree with the surbanite thing though.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:31 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Well, I agree with the first part....but, much as I personally respect Bob Rae, he carries a lot of baggage from the NDP government in Ontario in the mid nineties. I think the Grits won't take the risk of jeopardizing their Ontario base by selecting him as leader. Ignatieff seems to have buggered up by being on the wrong side of the foreign policy debate (pity) so my money's on Dion at the moment. Kaufmann could be the dark horse though (I like his policies a good deal).
I agree that Rae f***ed up when he led Ontario.... however he is a known personality nationally (more or less depending on the province) and his left wing credentials are solid, hence he is a foil to Harper's conservatism.... Consequently Bob (Rae) can rob votes from the NDP, and perhaps some from the Bloc. Actually I don't like Rae because of his poor record leading Ontario, but in no way is Ignatieff qualified to be leader... he hasn't paid his dues in politics by serving as a cabinet minister or even being elected as an MP. Who the hell does he think he is? That is what Canadians will ask.

It's sad that the selection for the Liberal Party leadership is so poor. My hopes were on Frank McKenna.... but you know what happened to him.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:35 pm
Born again atheist

in no way is Ignatieff qualified to be leader... he hasn't paid his dues in politics by serving as a cabinet minister or even being elected as an MP.
He is an MP.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:36 pm
Born again atheist

Unlike Harper before he became CRAP leader.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:39 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

You have the question reversed.... it should be: Why should any private citizen have his property rights denied when he hasn't done anything wrong.

Mid-20's urbanites have no legitimate reason to possess guns.
Whether you like it or not, hunting is part of the history and culture of this country... and it is a perfectly legitimate activity.

Perhaps "football" in the UK should have been banned ... after all, people were killed in riots as a result of it.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

He is an MP.
Nonetheless, he just arrived, it'd be hard to sell him. I <gasp, splutter> find Ocean's analysis to be persuasive and depressing. Rae was a terrible leader here.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:42 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Lots of hunters in Canada. Majority are well balanced individuals, or at least as well balanced as your average Canadian. Hunting rifles or shotguns tend not to be the weapon of choice of your goth-vampirefreak-assault weapon-wielding-psychopath. Most hunters round these parts at least kill to eat their prey. Still, agree with the surbanite thing though.
Good point.... neither Denis Lepene (sp?) nor the latest moron were hunters.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:48 pm
Born again atheist

Good point.... neither Denis Lepene (sp?) nor the latest moron were hunters.
Sorry ocean, but just what is it that you think is the point? The political issue here is the long gun registry, not whether hunting is historically or culturally relevant. And property rights aren't the issue either.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:49 pm
mañana is my busiest day

He is an MP.
... Yes, you are correct, but he hasn't served as a cabinet minister in the government.... that is to say, the public hasn't had a chance to evaluate his performance in a position of political responsibility.... so he's essentially an unknown entity to the average Canadian. Ergo, he's not electable as PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.