Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Spring general election?

Spring general election?

Old Sep 15th 2006, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring general election?

Originally Posted by iaink
The west created this situation through years of activity in Afghanistan, and has a duty to try and clean it up.
It's not reasonable to say that, because the west tried to conquer
Afghanistan in the past and failed, it has a responsibility to try again to do so now. We'll fail again, and again, how many failures would satisfy that "duty" ?
Old Sep 15th 2006, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If that was the case then why piss them off so royally by refusing to go gung ho into Iraq. You make no sense. You might as well argue that every vote the security council makes is dependet solely on who wants to be the USAs best mate, as they are the only superpower around now.

Its a big mess, its going to take time to sort it out. Its took 30 years or more to **** up Afghanistan, you cant fix it overnight, and you certainly wont if you turn tail when the old guard start to fight back.
It's centuries, not 30 years, and we can't fix it. We can only send soldiers to die there.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 2:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's centuries, not 30 years, and we can't fix it. We can only send soldiers to die there.
Which is something Duceppe will probably not let Harper allow to happen if the soldiers in question are from Quebec.

<tries, probably in vain, to drag thread back onto topic>
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Which is something Duceppe will probably not let Harper allow to happen if the soldiers in question are from Quebec.

<tries, probably in vain, to drag thread back onto topic>
Making the war a big issue in Quebec but perhaps not in the rest of the country. I don't know what the big issue in Ontario would be, not soft wood lumber, that's for sure.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are all very opinionated about this. Pity none of you know that Canada is not in Afghanistan as a result of a UN resolution, but rather as a result of NATO invoking the collective defence clause after 911.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You guys are all very opinionated about this. Pity none of you know that Canada is not in Afghanistan as a result of a UN resolution, but rather as a result of NATO invoking the collective defence clause after 911.
I think we are all well aware that Canada's UN days are long gone.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are all well aware that Canada's UN days are long gone.
Well, to return to the thread title, one can hope only until spring.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Fair enough, I think the UN recognised it some time in Jan 2002? The point being there was a broad international agreement that something should be done, albeit one lead by the US.

I dont think canadas UN days are numbered, it just seems the UN itself has no great purpose now its not a playground for the USA and USSR to clash in. It desperately needs a makeover!

Anyway, i cant see any of this triggering an election right now.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 15th 2006 at 3:35 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:48 pm

I dont think canadas UN days are numbered
I do. Quite apart from the fact that Canada has limited military resources, now being stretched to breaking point in Afghanistan with nothing spare for UN work, the image of peacemaker is now gone. Canadian troops are in Afghanistan to kill people, let's not kid ourselves about that.

As for if and when an election comes, we can only speculate. Which is what I was doing when I started the thread.

<desperately looks for a way to combine "Gilles Duceppe" and "Bloc Heater">
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:51 pm
Born again atheist

Fair enough, I think the UN recognised it some time in Jan 2002? The point being there was a broad international agreement that something should be done, albeit one lead by the US.

I dont think canadas UN days are numbered, it just seems the UN itself has no great purpose now its not a playground for the USA and USSR to clash in. It desperately needs a makeover!

Anyway, i cant see any of this triggering an election right now.
SC resolution 1453 (2002) simply stated that the UN would "remain seized with the situation" in Afghanistan. In other words, recognizing a fait accomplis.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:59 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I'm guessing yes. The Bloc has behaved itself so far but there are now two major areas of disagreement between it and Harper:

1) the gun registry
2) Canada's involvement in Afghanistan, particularly as the Vandoos will be next up to bat.

Whatever Harper decides about the registry, he's going to lose support somewhere.

Not sending the Vandoos will make it very hard to maintain Canada's presence in Afghanistan, and screw Harper's standing with the US. Sending them will destroy Tory support in Quebec.

I don't think it will long before Duceppe pulls the plug. If he does, and throws his hat back into the Parti Quebecois ring, guess what comes next?
I think Canada will end up having a Federal election by the end of 2007.... and the Liberals will be elected with a minority government with Bob Rae as its leader.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:01 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I cant see it myself.

Charest doesnt appear to make any sense bringing up the gun registy in this case. The gun used was a legally registered weapon, and was nothing to do with the long gun registry in any case as assault rifles have been "restrictred weapons" since Adam was a boy. Its the usual brain dead knee jerk reaction, and does nothing to convince me that those people are fit to lead a shopping expedition, let alone a nation

Hey, maybe they should have a law about people shooting other people....Oh, hang on....never mind!
Exactly right on.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I think Canada will end up having a Federal election by the end of 2007.... and the Liberals will be elected with a minority government with Bob Rae as its leader.
<clutches head>

At least that would do away with the immigrants' complaints that they don't get enough vacation in Canada.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly right on.
I should have quit there, when I was ahead
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:06 pm
Born again atheist

Well, I agree with the first part....but, much as I personally respect Bob Rae, he carries a lot of baggage from the NDP government in Ontario in the mid nineties. I think the Grits won't take the risk of jeopardizing their Ontario base by selecting him as leader. Ignatieff seems to have buggered up by being on the wrong side of the foreign policy debate (pity) so my money's on Dion at the moment. Kaufmann could be the dark horse though (I like his policies a good deal).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.