Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

spouse work permit

spouse work permit

Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

GeDe will become famous soon enoughGeDe will become famous soon enough
Default spouse work permit

Does the open work permit for spouses no longer exist? I have just looked at the immigration website for Canada in London and it says spouses can only get a work permit outside Canada if they have an LMO but they can apply for a work permit inside Canada.
I worked in Canada as a temporory worker in the summer and when we applied feb 2009 there was an open work permit option for my husband. We ar enow back in the UK and reapplying all over again.This open work permit option seems to have disapperaed. Anyone found the same?? My hubbie would like to have a job whilst over there!!!
thanks for any feedback.....
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spouse work permit

Depends on your Skill Level - SPouses of TWP holders with a skill level O A and B can get a SOWP - apply at the POE for this
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick reply, SWMBO is a Gp and I have been self employed for the last 8 years, I haven't got any formal qualifications for my present job, so I doubt I could get a LMO, would I be still able to get a work permit at the POE?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeDe
Thanks for the quick reply, SWMBO is a Gp and I have been self employed for the last 8 years, I haven't got any formal qualifications for my present job, so I doubt I could get a LMO, would I be still able to get a work permit at the POE?
If you are looking to come here and be self employed is a GP - has he/she not applied to health service to work as a GP here ? That way if he/she was the one with the TWP then you would definitely get SOWP and you would be able to carry on being self employed.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by burton bunch
If you are looking to come here and be self employed is a GP - has he/she not applied to health service to work as a GP here ? That way if he/she was the one with the TWP then you would definitely get SOWP and you would be able to carry on being self employed.
Are you sure you can be self emplyed on an open work permit??
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry the wife is the Gp, she is being helped by Alberta Medical Association. I am not looking to be self employed as soon as we get there, I just would like a work permit so that I can try to get some work at some point and not have to stay at home twiddling my thumbs
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zippadydoda
Are you sure you can be self emplyed on an open work permit??
Yep someone I know on a SOWP researched it
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry the wife is the Gp, she is being helped by Alberta Medical Association. I am not looking to be self employed as soon as we get there, I just would like a work permit so that I can try to get some work at some point and not have to stay at home twiddling my thumbs
You will most definitely get the SOWP as the Hubby of a doctor.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

hello

thank you for all your replies.

so I will apply for my work permit in London with the LMO and then get hubbies at point of entry. Do I only pay for my work permit on my application?

we also have 2 children, one is 6 so she will need a study permit, but the other is 4 in december, so do i just apply for a study permit for him when we are in canada , and he is nearer to 6???

thanks again
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hello

thank you for all your replies.

so I will apply for my work permit in London with the LMO and then get hubbies at point of entry. Do I only pay for my work permit on my application?

we also have 2 children, one is 6 so she will need a study permit, but the other is 4 in december, so do i just apply for a study permit for him when we are in canada , and he is nearer to 6???

thanks again
If you are applying for your TWP through London then I would do all the WP/SP's on the same application then you have everything sorted together.

Study Permits are very strange and people's experiences are soooo different for instance when I brought our kids in May 07 I did not need to get them they just added the kids details on my passport and TWP other people since have had to get the study permits and then my friend has just renewed a TWP and not been made to purchase them.

These experiences were all through Calgary and Coutts in Alberta.

HTH
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

thank you

Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:45 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

thank you

I seem to remember the SOWP application involved a single check-box on the application form. That was certainly the case for renewal. It may be worth reviewing your own TWP application and seeing if there's anywhere to tick a box for a SOWP for your OH.

btw, are both of you contributing on the same login? I'm a bit confused as to which of you is the principal applicant and which the spouse
Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

The wife is the principal applicant, and yes we do use the same username.