Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Spousal Open Work Permits

Spousal Open Work Permits

Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future
Default Spousal Open Work Permits

Hello,

We're hoping to move to BC via the BC PNP route as hubby's job isn't on "the list" but it is on the occupations under pressure list for BC as noc code 0016, we're currently in Kelowna on a job hunting recce.

I understand from reading the section on spousal open work premits on Wiki that "The holder of an open work permit can accept any job, from any employer, in any part of Canada." Though I just wanted to clarify, does this mean that I could work either full time or part time?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, it's just that someone threw some doubt into my mind the other day saying that I may only be able to work full time. I would preferably like the option of doing either.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

BC-Roo
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Cooperwoman is a jewel in the roughCooperwoman is a jewel in the roughCooperwoman is a jewel in the roughCooperwoman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spousal Open Work Permits

Originally Posted by BC-Roo
Hello,

We're hoping to move to BC via the BC PNP route as hubby's job isn't on "the list" but it is on the occupations under pressure list for BC as noc code 0016, we're currently in Kelowna on a job hunting recce.

I understand from reading the section on spousal open work premits on Wiki that "The holder of an open work permit can accept any job, from any employer, in any part of Canada." Though I just wanted to clarify, does this mean that I could work either full time or part time?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, it's just that someone threw some doubt into my mind the other day saying that I may only be able to work full time. I would preferably like the option of doing either.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

BC-Roo
From my experience the only stipulation with my spousal work permit was that i could not work with children or in hospitals. I know that i did work part time for a while and i had no problems.
So i guess my answer is Yes you would have the option to work part time or full time.
Welcome to the forum!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:13 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

On a spousal WP you can work full time or part time. Note you only qualify for spousal WP if OH job is in a certain skill category - think its A, B or O? - wiki or CHC website has exact details. Also certain jobs require you to take medical (eg working with children).
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:17 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently work a few hrs aweek on mine and have no problems
I didnt want full-time hours as the kids are young and the hours that i do suit us, plus i am also classed as self-employed, so better for me in the long run (well at tax time)

Like the other poster said if your hubby is in those skill levels you will be able to get that open permit...

Good Luck
LB
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future

Thanks for all of your replies hubby's job is in skill level 0 so we should be fine with that.