Special Needs schools in Vancouver

Special Needs schools in Vancouver

Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:40 pm
MUA
Forum Regular

MUA is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Special Needs schools in Vancouver

Hi,

I'm interested in getting more information regarding Special Needs Schools. I have 3 children, one of which has cerebral palsy, this has affected her mobility and motor skills. She is wheelchair bound. My question is that schooling for here in the UK is very good, she attends a special needs school, which has Physiotherapy dept and hydratherapypool. We are in the process of immigrating to Vancouver side (sent of paperwork 23/06/10, still awaiting response), (OBTW me and the kids are Canadian Citizens and have sponsored my spouse).

Can anyone guide me in the right direction...Do BC have Special Needs schools??? I'm a bit concerned as to whether she would be able to adapt to normal schooling!!

My other question is how to choose schools for my other 2 boys 7 and 3. What are the state schools like is there a website that I can check for schools results...If it is catchment area only, would I need to buy house in that area or do they allow children from out of the catchment area??? I know so many questions, but please help??
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Special Needs schools in Vancouver

Originally Posted by anita23
I'm interested in getting more information regarding Special Needs Schools. I have 3 children, one of which has cerebral palsy, this has affected her mobility and motor skills. She is wheelchair bound.
I'm in Ontario, not BC, and so cannot comment directly on the schooling issue. I suggest however that it would be prudent to look at the long term; what state funded facilities, if any, are available for disabled adults in BC? If the answer is "few and likely to be less in future" then you may want to consider whether life in BC will provide you with the longevity, fitness and income necessary to support your child for the remainder of his or her life. If that's not likely then are you willing to pass on the duty of care to your other children?

Pardon this harsh seeming post but I'm unconvinced that Canada is an ideal location for a disabled (handicapped, differently abled, whatever) person. I'm not arguing that the UK is either but that's the devil you know.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps this group would be able to help with your questions and concerns?
Cerebral Palsy Association of British Columbia
102-317 Columbia Street
New Westminster, B.C.
phone: 604-515-9455, 1-800-663-0004
fax: 604-515-9466 e-mail: e-mail: [email protected]
Contact for resources for parents of children with special needs as well as having an ongoing parent support group. The CPABC has a family support worker on staff who specializes in accessibility and inclusion issues. We also sponsor monthly parent support group meetings. The CPABC has an extensive parent library regarding special education issues
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:41 pm
MUA
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:23 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Give these guys a call http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/apps/imcl/imclWeb/SN.do

There are not special needs schools in BC. Special needs go into regular school with a TA. Funding has been cut a lot over the years and facilities declined. Hospitals for special treatment and assessments are BC Children's, GF Strong and Fraser Valley Child Development. Regular Physio is not covered under MSP, don't know of any hydro pools other than at GF Strong.

You will also be able to claim a number of tax benefits in Canada, to do that you need this completed and accepted by CRA T2201

Facilities for disabled adults in Canada are very limited. The government do fund some in home caregivers, ultimately the responsibility lies with the family.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 10th 2010 at 3:25 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anita23

Can anyone guide me in the right direction...Do BC have Special Needs schools??? I'm a bit concerned as to whether she would be able to adapt to normal schooling!!
As a general rule no. Children of all abilities are taught together. You might want to talk to schools directly about what extra classroom support they are able to provide.

My other question is how to choose schools for my other 2 boys 7 and 3. What are the state schools like is there a website that I can check for schools results...If it is catchment area only, would I need to buy house in that area or do they allow children from out of the catchment area??? I know so many questions, but please help??
Again this is a generalization, but there really isn't the sort of obsession with getting your children into the "right" schools here that there is in the UK. All schools teach a standard curriculum. The vast majority of kids go to their local state school. Therefore schools reflect their neighborhoods. So, drive around the neighborhood. If it looks well cared for and prosperous the chances are that the local state school is just fine.

This is not to say there aren't schools doing great work in deprived neighborhoods, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

Although the majority of kids go to their local school you can request they attend a different school and this is usually permitted if space is available. You will be responsible for transporting your child to that school. There are some private schools, but unless you have some specific requirements (religious for example) I really don't see what they achieve over and above the state system.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Facilities for disabled adults in Canada are very limited. The government do fund some in home caregivers, ultimately the responsibility lies with the family.
Just to ram that point home. Before she was shipped to Europe, my autistic and non-verbal adult daughter, who requires assistance with every aspect of daily life, was provided with a monthly allowance, paid to the parents, that varied with age and reached a peak of $1100/month. The $1100 was the full extent of government support. Obviously a completely disabled person who has no concept of money could not survive in Canada without the commitment of family members. Ultimately, this means siblings.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Just to ram that point home. Before she was shipped to Europe, my autistic and non-verbal adult daughter, who requires assistance with every aspect of daily life, was provided with a monthly allowance, paid to the parents, that varied with age and reached a peak of $1100/month. The $1100 was the full extent of government support. Obviously a completely disabled person who has no concept of money could not survive in Canada without the commitment of family members. Ultimately, this means siblings.
Your experience is Ontario other provinces differ.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Unfortunately it is not that much different in BC
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Unfortunately it is not that much different in BC
Alberta then is a little better. Can't give figures because I don't know the exact workings but it is better than what dbd quoted.

Also to the OP there was a young girl with cerebral palsy in my sons schools all the way through high school she graduated and went on to university.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Granted, but I don't have any reason to suppose that, other than in Quebec, things are very different.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Also to the OP there was a young girl with cerebral palsy in my sons schools all the way through high school she graduated and went on to university.
I would say that, in Ontario, support through the school years, while patchy, is generally very good. The problem comes at the end of the years of education. My original post sought to warn the OP that this might be the case in BC and that a plan for personally funded life long care might be required.

Of course, if the student graduates with a saleable degree, everyone is better off.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:30 pm

Alberta then is a little better. Can't give figures because I don't know the exact workings but it is better than what dbd quoted.

It's not all doom and gloom, but does depend on the level of disability and support needed. I have personal experience of someone with CP who is living a quite happy normal life and working, as well as one needing full time care and unable to look after themselves and will always need this.

My suggestion would be to come to Canada and investigate before moving here to be sure it is going to offer what you need.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I would say that, in Ontario, support through the school years, while patchy, is generally very good. The problem comes at the end of the years of education. My original post sought to warn the OP that this might be the case in BC and that a plan for personally funded life long care might be required.
I can't disagree with this.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:54 pm
MUA
Forum Regular

Thanks guys...I will take your advice on board......As long as she enjoys school that the most important thing for me....I know that she will require full-time support from us and her siblings. What is the general reaction of children in school with regards to children with disabilities???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.