Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sound Familiar to anyone?

Sound Familiar to anyone?

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sound Familiar to anyone?

Originally Posted by iaink
That should be People you don't know from Adam YET.

In time you might even enjoy chatting to these people, they might even become acquaintances, or heaven forbid, friends.

Lifes a bit different in the sticks
Indeed it is. I confess I was nonplussed when someone started talking to me in the hardware store, at first I thought she must be begging but taking a long while to get to the point.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Oh I get it all the time. "I just love your accent!" etc etc.
I'm not British and guilty of saying those words too, but never with the intent of making fun of anyone as I have my own accent; I make that comment simply because I do love the sound of proper English being spoken, it sounds very regal to my ears and wish I could speak like you so please don't get offended when someone tells you they like your accent, chances are they mean it.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Indeed it is. I confess I was nonplussed when someone started talking to me in the hardware store, at first I thought she must be begging but taking a long while to get to the point.
No, its called "civility", it might take a while to get used to it after living in the big bad city for so long...
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
[url]

Anyone else here feel that making fun of British accents is more acceptable? I recall when I first started at my work everytime you spoke to anyone they would affect a stereotypical English accent and do their cliched phrase.
I seem to get a lot of grief over my accent. Most of the time they think its cute.

They think its great when I say "bloody hell" . I also get the quotes from Monty Python.

I called someone a "cheeky sod" yesturday they seem to think that was funny.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:50 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by monique
please don't get offended when someone tells you they like your accent, chances are they mean it.
You're welcome. Have a nice day.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:59 pm
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
I, too, have heard the "talking funny" discourse. The funniest reply, though, was when a lady from Saskatchewan showed me a document (after a couple of hours of chit-chat) and gently asked me "Can you read English?" I blinked in amazement and said "Er... beg pardon?"
"Well", she replied, "with this French accent of yours..."
A few weeks ago a boy walked up to my daughter in school(8th grade)and said "g'day mate" bold as brass and thinking he was being funny. She replied "I beg your pardon", "You're Australian aren't you" he said.I can just imagine the the poor lads face when he was on the recieving end of one of her looks and her reply "er,no,actually I'm English'.
All 3 of us have been mistaken for either Aussie or Kiwi.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppy1
A few weeks ago a boy walked up to my daughter in school(8th grade)and said "g'day mate" bold as brass and thinking he was being funny. She replied "I beg your pardon", "You're Australian aren't you" he said.I can just imagine the the poor lads face when he was on the recieving end of one of her looks and her reply "er,no,actually I'm English'.
I have also been mistaken for being Australian. My husband has been more than me though, as he has a bit of a cockney geeza accent and says mate a lot.

It is funny what you get told as well. Within a few days of landing someone said to us that you cant possibly use the word mate, because the Canadians wont understand what you mean. Stupid eh?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Laowai79
Sweet mother of God! What kind of redneck hicks are you running into?? I'm from small town Canada, and I don't think I've ever had trouble understand someone from England due to their accent. Maybe it's because my mom watched Coronation St. when I was growing up?

I do believe that people make a big deal of your accents, though. I love languages and accents, so I've been known to comment (not to strangers, though). We had exchange students from everywhere when I was in high school. The only time communication became an issue was when there were vocabulary differences.

Here in Hong Kong, most British people I've met have been great. However, I met this one #$%$ from London. She proceeded to rant and rave about how Americans don't speak English, they speak American. Finally, I said 'well, Canadian accents are very similar to American accents, so does this mean that I don't speak English?' She said 'that's right'. Even though I was seething, I calmy informed her that if I didn't speak English then there's no way we would be having this very civil conversation. Is this a common sentiment in the U.K.? I mean, I can understand all of you getting pissed off if people tell you that you 'talk funny', considering you're from the Motherland, but still....

Actually I don't get pissed off by it.......I just reply "Moi? Speak funny? Ah, that's because I'm a filthy foreigner"......which usually breaks the ice......

On reflection - I recently got really angry because I was told I didn't get a certain job - telephone surveys - because I sound "too English"....but that's, so far, the only incident. I gave the company the benefit of the doubt; maybe they were afraid I'd have to repeat myself too often to those on the other end of the phone.

I doubt if I'll ever lose my accent - I've had it for far too long. Eventually you do adopt some of the phraseology, though, which can make life a little easier, eh!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Originally Posted by jood
On reflection - I recently got really angry because I was told I didn't get a certain job - telephone surveys - because I sound "too English"....
A couple of years ago, a nice lady from Montreal offered me a job -- on one tiny condition: "say... hum... could you speak with a North-American accent, please?" For a split second I hesitated between telling her (gently!) to sod off and giving her a "dang, ma'am, I sure can git it done" in a Larry-the-Cable-Guy voice. Hey, she said North America, not "the Northern part of North America", didn't she?...

Originally Posted by jood
Eventually you do adopt some of the phraseology, though, which can make life a little easier, eh!
Absolutely. The local vocabulary/phraseology creeps upon you unknowingly.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by poppy1
My daughter was asked by another girl in school what we called snow in ENgland she politely told her rain and walked away
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by smelly
I have also been mistaken for being Australian. My husband has been more than me though, as he has a bit of a cockney geeza accent and says mate a lot.

It is funny what you get told as well. Within a few days of landing someone said to us that you cant possibly use the word mate, because the Canadians wont understand what you mean. Stupid eh?
Have been asked numerous times if i am from OZ. Couple of weeks ago i was on the phone to a patient and she asked me if i was from Liverpool, errr no kent (bearing in mind normally peeps from UK that we meet automatically assume we are from London with our accent!) im no scouser

No offence like.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in England last summer I was asked on a number of occasions if I was American. I guess if your travelling (or living) somewhere where people speak with an accent different from your own, the questions are bound to come up - and some may be pretty dumb

Come to think of it, the only guy who asked if I was Canadian was an Italian guy in Leeds who could barley speak English.

I'm curious though if there is anywhere in the UK where the natural accent does sound like us here in Canada. We all came here from somewhere else after all.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=rwin;4547927]Come to think of it, the only guy who asked if I was Canadian was an Italian guy in Leeds who could barley speak English./QUOTE]

That characteristic is common to most people in Leeds. Particularly if they've been on the barley.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jempee
My daughter was asked by another girl in school what we called snow in ENgland she politely told her rain and walked away

Now that's a good comeback!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada we call snow (*$#%(*&@#$^$#%&%$*(#@

Especially in March.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.