Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Old Apr 13th 2006, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice
Default Re: Something a little wrong here, surely?

Originally Posted by Grah
I am proud to fly the flag of England, I refuse to allow it to be hijack and have is meaning stolen.

I've got an 'orrible feeling that people around the 40 mark, that grew up in urban Britain of the late 70's will forever have the link to skinheads having little lapel badges of the cross of St George, usually accompanied by a US confederate flag.
It meant only one thing back then....right wing trouble.
Even when I lived in West Yorkshire , 20 years later, it surprised me to see Asian mini-cab drivers brandishing the flags during the world cup.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:10 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hudman
I've got an 'orrible feeling that people around the 40 mark, that grew up in urban Britain of the late 70's will forever have the link to skinheads having little lapel badges of the cross of St George, usually accompanied by a US confederate flag.
It meant only one thing back then....right wing trouble.
Even when I lived in West Yorkshire , 20 years later, it surprised me to see Asian mini-cab drivers brandishing the flags during the world cup.

I am 45 and couldn't give a fig about what skin'eads or any other group wore or uses.

If people want to tarnish a whole nation and culture based on a few then that seems mightly like a RACIST remark.

Or is it only racist when a comment comes for a non-minority? (Which is an oxymoron as white is the minority skin colour in the world)
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

I don't think its a matter of the whole nation being tarnished the fact remains that prior to the second coming of the skin'ead the flag of St George was not in common usage.
It may also depend where you grew up in England, as I said unfortunately the flag got hijacked and had only one meaning.
This is a personal experience and like I said things are changing in terms of its perceived meaning.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:28 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think its a matter of the whole nation being tarnished the fact remains that prior to the second coming of the skin'ead the flag of St George was not in common usage.
It may also depend where you grew up in England, as I said unfortunately the flag got hijacked and had only one meaning.
This is a personal experience and like I said things are changing in terms of its perceived meaning.

so what are you doing to change it for the good?
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Dont know what you mean, may be having the part of my brain that remembers getting the odd kicking from right wing skins of the 70's may help?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 4:05 am
Happy in Canada.

Dont know what you mean, may be having the part of my brain that remembers getting the odd kicking from right wing skins of the 70's may help?

Then perhaps you've allowed them to win and you've accepted their status to be legitmate.

Do you associate Dr Marten boots, Jeans and all people with short hair with the same feeling?
if not then, then don't blame the flag blame the morons that abuse it.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 4:46 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 15th 2006, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Then perhaps you've allowed them to win and you've accepted their status to be legitmate.

Do you associate Dr Marten boots, Jeans and all people with short hair with the same feeling?
if not then, then don't blame the flag blame the morons that abuse it.

Grah
This association for myself, and I suspect a lot of folks my age is really unfortunate. I think it is a shame our national flag causes so much controversy these days with the politically correct lobby in the UK.
I can only think these politicians who get upset about the use of the flag maybe also witnessed it as an ensign for the NF, BM, Combat 18 and all the other morons.
Its a real shame but to be fair I cant recall the Cross of St George being used by the masses to a great extent, the jubilee of '77 featured the Union Jack if I recall ?. So to some extent in terms of popular English culture the far right got there first and made it their own (at least for a generation)
So I dont really know why we allowed it to get hijacked in such a destructive way.
As for the Doc Martins and short hair, I am an advocate. Funnily enough I think #1/#0 as a hairstyle have transcended the right wing Skin'ead image
Old Apr 15th 2006, 4:53 am
Happy in Canada.

Originally Posted by Bleech
Brillant
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Nice sentiment, but a little naive. Its actually very similar to a Nazi inspired early NF patch.."Proud to be white"

The issue here is about how a lot of Brits relate to our national flag, not what it should represent.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:06 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Nice sentiment, but a little naive. Its actually very similar to a Nazi inspired early NF patch.."Proud to be white"

The issue here is about how a lot of Brits relate to our national flag, not what it should represent.
Proud to be white???? Nothing to do with that, it's proud to be English.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Proud to be white???? Nothing to do with that, it's proud to be English.

I am not suggesting that you are proud to be white, green or blue.
I am just pointing out my first impression of the design being very similar to a patch doing the rounds in NF circles in the 70's. Which itself was inspired by Nazi paraphernalia.
Its a shame about the flag. but it was hijacked by the NF and others quite effectively, bit like some designer labels and chavs.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:34 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Having recently received my first Canadian passport, I went to put it away with my UK one. I noticed that they have very similar emblems on the front. I'm presuming that Canada's is based on the UK's. What struck me, however, is that the Canadian version contains the Union flag; the UK one doesn't. That same Canadian emblem also appears on our banknotes and presumably lots of government paperwork. The Union flag, or modified elements of British Isles heraldry, is also evident in all provincial flags, with one obvious exception.

It would appear that the Union flag is used or depicted more in Canada than in the UK. Isn't that, well, a little odd?
But wasn't it because the UK passport was "harmonised" to fit in with the EC (or whatever it's called at the moment? Hence all the translations on it and not specific country references, see Euro notes for same idea??

Last edited by yonk; Apr 15th 2006 at 8:11 am.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to remove the NEW meaning is to fly it everywhere and regain it to it's rightful place in English society. Something to be proud of not ashamed.

If people start seeing it proudly flying in non-racist events then the racist will be seen as an extremist group hijacking and not a threatening behaviour in the same sense as a KKK or Nazis symbol.

Is the Crescent and star any different?

Please remember we are talking about a proud national symbol that is legally bound to a current nation. Not an ancient unused symbol.
i think you are right about reclaiming the flag, and to a large extent that is happening - i see many english flags being flown outside houses these days, a few went up after the jubilee and or world cup i think and never came down.

As archers we always go to a st georges day shoot where everyone is encouraged to wear the flag, its fun, makes you united- whatever colour or creed as being english isnt exclusive to white christians.

There are some local pubs who celebrate st georges day and I do have a little rant when our lcoal tescos celebrates St Patricks day and not st georges
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:50 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Never really thought of it as a racist flag ... ever

But then, unlike our North American cosuins, I have never felt the need to fly any sort of flag.

Heard something the other day that US foreign policy had achieved its aim of uniting the world.....the rest of the world has the same flag as the US.... just with flames added to it It did make me chuckle.

However, back to topic, never felt the shame of England conquering a 1/3 of the world and then giving it back with the addition of railways, infrastructure, legal systems etc so I don't think I will start now.

Paul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.