Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Some Pointers on coming to Canada

Some Pointers on coming to Canada

Old Feb 14th 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

RodseyUK will become famous soon enoughRodseyUK will become famous soon enough

I think Alexandra has a very large chip on her shoulder as her posts elsewhere suggest she has failed to make it in Canada.

Her previous posts elsewhere have also revealed that she and her partner aren't British either.

Failed to make it in Britain aswell??
Old Feb 14th 2004, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

I agree with much of this.

Despite all of it though, there are still thousands of immigrants who come over, do get good jobs, do end up with the 3,000 sq. ft. house with double garage and a lawn tractor, and who do drive 6 litre SUVs. I know some of these people. Now look, I'm not saying that any of that is what's important in life, nor am I saying it's all given out on a silver platter, but if that is the Canadian dream (and I think for a lot of Brits it is) then I have seen it achieved.

But the longer I spend here the more I am beginning to think that these successes are more the exception than the rule, which is why I agree with much of your commentry. I no longer regard the results I've seen as typical.

Originally posted by Kadett
Most Brits here are not running away from anything, and for most the holy grail as you call it is just to have a normal life and being able to afford basic things which is denied them with either unemployment or underemployment. Only country in the western world I have seen where people working full-time need a foodbank. The nature of Canada is that someone who has failed is more likely to succeed here, after all according to Canadian logic, less education means you get a better job here.

Right so that means a brain surgeon should be really happy about scrubbing toilets does it! Right gotcha...thats the Canadian system alright. Also most people 'expect' that they can do some kind of employment aligned with their qualifications and experience. Most foreigners here can't even get something at entry level. Another point is people in the UK are far more hardworking and talented than any gobshite in North America. Having driven HGV's for 4 years in the UK when I was student I can testify to that. I'd take British (immigrant and native btw) staff over Canadian anyday.

Ha multicultural, yeah right!.....most groups here keep to themselves and don't really have a positive view about life here, and on the other hand Canadians on a funadamental level despise all foreigners because their so insecure, especially if said foreigners don't mindlessly chant the same mantra 'this is the best country in the world...this is the best country in the world!'. The British legacy element is total crap, I bet it must be really hard for them to accept that their country and political system was built by the 'evil' Brits. Oh how shocking. How screwed up are you that you think it's OK to not see your family for three years?

Sure they do alot of checking..NOT. I've experienced a whole slew of immigration proceedures either for myself or my wife who needs a visa everywhere, and the one thing that is clear is that Canada is about the worst. Given the fact that you have to pay for translations of documents for them and they take months to do the most simple so-called security checks is laughable. And yet despite all of this Canada is still a haven for terrorists. You probably only have experience of the Canadian embassy in London, believe me the one in say Moscow is such a total sack of crap that most immigrants want to return home before they even get their landing visa.

I never followed football in the UK but strangely it never affected my career, even in a strong football city like Glasgow. The words cultural imperialism spring to mind....hmmm. Oh and incidentally the 'weird people' south of the border have achieved a damn site more than people here, you may not like people from the US but at least they have a history and a culture, they don't need to have a government commision to study what it means to be an american.

Hey what are you smoking...and can I have some too. As far as land of opportunity goes I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Oh, and as a proud Glasweigan, since when does the UK only include the the SE of England. On yer last point since when did it cost 400 quid to travel down to see yer granny (in Brighton) from within the UK?

Well I come at this from being a dual-citizen, one of my parents was Canadian, but I grew up in the UK. If immigrants are guests then they must be the most rudely treated I've ever seen. Politeness and hospitality is to be honest a bag of shite mate, Canadians are some of the most malicious and insincere cretins I've ever had the misfortune to come across, in all my extensive travels across many countries. You seem to imply that to live here one must 'stop being British', in other words the only way to get on is to dump ones born and bred identity and deny its existence. Kinda puts your previous argument about multiculturalism in Canada down the crapper doesn't it?
Old Feb 14th 2004, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
I agree with much of this.

But the longer I spend here the more I am beginning to think that these successes are more the exception than the rule, which is why I agree with much of your commentry. I no longer regard the results I've seen as typical.

Even those who don't get all of the toys aren't necessarily poverty stricken failures. Some people simply aren't materialistic and have other values regarding quality of life.

If you want to include unbalanced perpectives then it could be said that the good life in Britain only seems to apply to the last 15 years or so in the South (the North is still a "Have not" area). Before that, life was the pits with civil unrest, riots and terrorism.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RodseyUK
I think Alexandra has a very large chip on her shoulder as her posts elsewhere suggest she has failed to make it in Canada.

Her previous posts elsewhere have also revealed that she and her partner aren't British either.

It's personal comments like this one that make the world a better place, right?

For the record, my partner and I are British (you don't have to be English to be a Brit, surprised?), possibly more British than you are, my friend, and we are going home not because of any kind of failures, we are going home because we want to. I did not 'fail' to make it in Canada, I simply don't want to 'make it here' any longer.

'her previous posts revealed...' - are you having some investigation going here? Good luck.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 3:33 pm
s1lv3rsh4dow

Originally posted by RodseyUK

I couldn't agree with this comment any more, than stated. Am glad am not the only one that sees it that way.

I will
to this

*edited at user request*

Last edited by s1lv3rsh4dow; Feb 14th 2004 at 11:11 pm.

Old Feb 14th 2004, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Can we have less of the personal attacks please - stick to the subject matter - trying to put someone down isn't necessary to debate a point.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ray1968
Can we have less of the personal attacks please - stick to the subject matter - trying to put someone down isn't necessary to debate a point.

I think after the last suggestion of going back to my original country (thanks for that), I'll just leave this forum altogether. I am not used to trolls following me around in every topic trying to insult me. I am done here.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alexandra
I think after the last suggestion of going back to my original country (thanks for that), I'll just leave this forum altogether. I am not used to trolls following me around in every topic trying to insult me. I am done here.

you go and they have won.........stand your ground
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

quebirder is an unknown quantity at this point

I must apologise to visitors to this thread for the very intemperate postings that seem to have followed my original message. I have to wonder why it is that some people that have found it tough here find it necessary to be so negative and I also wonder if their very negativity may have something to do with their apparent lack of success – it kind of shows in a job interview if you have that size chip on your shoulder.

My main point – and I’d better spell it out – is that it should really not be a surprise to anyone that certain professions here (medical, accountancy etc) have regulated entry and that local exams etc etc have to be gone through. This is exactly and precisely the same thing in the UK and not a huge Canadian plot to gain educated taxi drivers. Basic research before coming over would have told people this elementary fact.

Secondly, if you lived in say Woking, an wanted to move to Liverpool you would apply for jobs first, get a position and then pack up and move. You wouldn’t just give your job, drive north and tramp the streets looking for openings. Why then, do this when moving to another country. There are lots of Canadian jobs advertised in the press and on the internet and you make your life a lot easier by doing the legwork before moving – what’s more, the odds are that your new employer will pick up the tab for your moving expenses. Now, I know that isn’t always easy to do as not everyone has a trade or profession in such demand that Canadians will want to bring you over – but that again might tell you something about the likelihood of getting the employment you seek once here.

It’s the research thing again – look before you leap.

A couple of other things and I will finish.

Firstly, someone expressed dismay at my suggestion that you don’t go back to the UK for 2 or 3 years but try to settle into the lifestyle in your new home. I did NOT say “don’t see friends and relatives� but I did suggest that they visit you instead. The exchange rate is such that it really is so much cheaper for people in Britain to come here than for us to go there and, quite frankly, the people I have seen who don’t settle here are the ones that don’t let go. If you can’t handle that then why come in the first place?

Finally – the “guest� thing. Like it or not, pay as much tax as you have to, until you become a citizen you are a guest here. Oh, and yes, I don’t have a high regard for the government in the US and its policies – that’s probably why I like living in Canada so much because neither do the Canadians on the whole. Civilised place this.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cykotronic is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]Originally posted by quebirder Oh, and yes, I don’t have a high regard for the government in the US and its policies – that’s probably why I like living in Canada so much because neither do the Canadians on the whole. Civilised place this.
That's a pretty strong generalization there. Of course, it's perfectly OK to knock Americans, but when someone says a disparaging thing about Canada, it's sacrilege! That’s the most annoying thing about Canada and Canadians to me. So long as they have this unhealthy obsession with everything negative about the US, the country will never reach its full potential.

Now, what makes a place “civilized� and another not?

Kadett and CalgaryAMC: Spot on!
Old Feb 15th 2004, 12:09 am
may
Just Joined

may is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

Hello All,

I have read your posts with dismay. Just registered with a view to getting info on people who have made the move and perhaps entering discussion to find out more.
Some comments were out and out bitchin. Noticed someone pointed out that there may be visitors and apologised which I appreciate.
Understand that a lot of you are regulars and may like the banter. For those that are new it is a bit negative
Old Feb 15th 2004, 12:37 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by may
Hello All,

I have read your posts with dismay. Just registered with a view to getting info on people who have made the move and perhaps entering discussion to find out more.
Some comments were out and out bitchin. Noticed someone pointed out that there may be visitors and apologised which I appreciate.
Understand that a lot of you are regulars and may like the banter. For those that are new it is a bit negative
Welcome

This is the reason we have a recently appointed moderator.

Most of the regulars are very helpfull, and offer a balanced point of view, unfortunatley there are a few posters who have a hard time accepting someone elses point of view (you will figure out who they are pretty quickly).

Dont be afraid to ask questions here, if you are thinking of emmigrating, you cant have too much information. Lots of good stuff in the archive too.

Good Luck

Iain
Old Feb 15th 2004, 12:53 am
s1lv3rsh4dow

Originally posted by may
Hello All,

The thing with a forum like this, is that most people will give you advice from their point of view, it doesn't exactly mean it should be taken as gospel, some will try to make you think that is the way to go.

Its up to you sieve out what you think is bull, and make up your mind on it. After all, we are only human, we make mistakes and learn from it. As someone once said, if you don't remember where you are coming from, you can never know where you are going.

Good luck.

PS...who is to say what a balanced opinion is?

Old Feb 15th 2004, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Do I have just have a bad memory because I first started looking for answers and information here back in September and I just don't remember this specific Canada forum being as bad tempered as this. It seemed a nice atmosphere. In my mind all these attacking posts seem to be a much more recent thing and something I would associate much more with the Lounge forum and the specific Canadian Immigration forum that is linked with usenet. Hopefully it will all settle down again.

For me the main theme of this post has been interesting to read. The problem is not that people disagree with what has been said but the manner in how they choose to do it.

Perhaps before we press the "submit" button a box should pop up and say "Do you really want to say all that? Why not read it back one more time?"
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:29 pm
may
Just Joined

may is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Cheers for the replies. As I said, currently looking at moving somewhere? perhaps in 18mths/2yrs and trying to get info. Not looking for an easy life, just better than present. Have worked hard with little return. Will continue to work[too young and not enough money ] but want more re standard of living. Considering US but looking at Canada too.

Do most folk access employment first and if they do are there sites I should be looking at. How would I find the most suitable areas for our family??

How much back up financially do you need on entry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.