Reload this Page >

Software enginner from UK wants to move to Canada

Software enginner from UK wants to move to Canada

Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

trotsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Software enginner from UK wants to move to Canada

Hi,
I am new to this site and just have a question or two on what is the average pay for software engineer let say with Java and Oracle/SQL databases?
I am thinking about moving to Canada but not sure what pay I could expect and if I will be able to find the job with my qualification. I heard
from quite few people that when you come to Canada you will have to start everything from beginning and education that wasn't obtained in
Canada is not valid.
Me and my family are Polish, but have been leaving in UK for over 10 years. We are thinking of moving to Canada and are looking for some practical advices. We had a read on Polish forums about relocating into Canada, but I think most people who went to Canada from Poland still leave in their 90's and are saying: don't come here. You will have to start from carrying bricks, mopping the floor, and cleaning for the first couple of years and you will have to do course after course go get anywhere, if lucky. I still hear the same things from people leaving in UK but, I think, this is because they are scared that someone will come and will be better off.

Is it really that difficult to get a job if you speak the language, have some education and work experience in Canada?

I will appreciate any help and I would like to apologize if I repeated someone else thread.
Best
Trotsky
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Software enginner from UK wants to move to Canada

Originally Posted by trotsky
Hi,
I am new to this site and just have a question or two on what is the average pay for software engineer let say with Java and Oracle/SQL databases?
I am thinking about moving to Canada but not sure what pay I could expect and if I will be able to find the job with my qualification. I heard
from quite few people that when you come to Canada you will have to start everything from beginning and education that wasn't obtained in
Canada is not valid.
Me and my family are Polish, but have been leaving in UK for over 10 years. We are thinking of moving to Canada and are looking for some practical advices. We had a read on Polish forums about relocating into Canada, but I think most people who went to Canada from Poland still leave in their 90's and are saying: don't come here. You will have to start from carrying bricks, mopping the floor, and cleaning for the first couple of years and you will have to do course after course go get anywhere, if lucky. I still hear the same things from people leaving in UK but, I think, this is because they are scared that someone will come and will be better off.

Is it really that difficult to get a job if you speak the language, have some education and work experience in Canada?

I will appreciate any help and I would like to apologize if I repeated someone else thread.
Best
Trotsky
If you have a degree in a technical subject and decent programming experience you won't have much problem finding a suitable job in Toronto. This is particularly true if you have finance experience - there's lots of big banks here looking for IT people. The situation may be different in other professions though.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dgagitw
If you have a degree in a technical subject and decent programming experience you won't have much problem finding a suitable job in Toronto. This is particularly true if you have finance experience - there's lots of big banks here looking for IT people. The situation may be different in other professions though.
Hi and thanks for the answer.
I am finishing my HND in Software Engineering while working in Telecom Billing company as Senior Billing Analyst since 2009. As my company is providing Telecom software I also have a chance to learn and work on software development and they also sent me to study software engineering.
In terms of the salary what does it start from for software engineers?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

The rate of pay will differ based on location...in more expensive areas they have to pay more to get qualified people whereas in areas that are cheaper to live in the salaries do not have to be the same. it also depends on the size of the company.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and thanks for the answer.
I am finishing my HND in Software Engineering while working in Telecom Billing company as Senior Billing Analyst since 2009. As my company is providing Telecom software I also have a chance to learn and work on software development and they also sent me to study software engineering.
In terms of the salary what does it start from for software engineers?
From what you say, you are not a software engineer yet? Newly qualified with little or no experience is going to make it hard to find work unless your skills are unique and in high demand.

Get some experience under your belt and look at it again in a few years or find a more menial entry level job and work your way up if you can find an employer willing to try and get a LMO approved for you.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by colchar
The rate of pay will differ based on location...in more expensive areas they have to pay more to get qualified people whereas in areas that are cheaper to live in the salaries do not have to be the same. it also depends on the size of the company.
Thanks, that is exactly what I thought but I was looking for some figures like $15-$40. The same is here in UK, but in here I can browse through job adverts and I can see the salaries offered, but couldn't find it in Canadian adverts and its hard to work out how much I could be looking for.
Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Aviator, thanks for this.
My position here is also junior software engineer but now getting the qualification. Would that count towards experience, or would experience start from the day I become qualified? In here in UK, it does work like that but not sure if in Canada works as well, but from comments I think it might not.
So would I have to start from any job not related to IT? Is that what you said?
Thnaks
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is, that if you don't have much experience, then how are you going to prove you're qualified over any Canadians that apply for the job, and convince the employer that your skills are worth their time and money of doing the LMO app for you?

Or do you have another route to a visa? If so, that's more feasible as if you go job hunting with PR, you'll be much more attractive to an employer.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that is exactly what I thought but I was looking for some figures like $15-$40. The same is here in UK, but in here I can browse through job adverts and I can see the salaries offered, but couldn't find it in Canadian adverts and its hard to work out how much I could be looking for.
Thanks
Where are you looking at moving to and what's the NOC code? You can check out average wages here - http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca

HTH.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Donnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the rough

My husband is a Software Developer/Manager. We are looking to move to the Calgary area when we receive our PR cards - hopefully in the next two months. Is it possible to arrange a job to move to? or will it be easier to move to canada jobless and apply from there? We would prefer job security to go to.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Donnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the rough

...to clarify...can you apply for jobs successfuly, whilst still in the UK?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Donnykins
...to clarify...can you apply for jobs successfuly, whilst still in the UK?
You'd normally need to get over there and meet people in person, but you could try from the UK first. Maybe using a Canadian address on his resume though?

Have you read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? You don't have to move, if job hunting in person would get more results your husband could go for a week or two and hopefully get that all important job offer. Having PR will make him much more attractive to employers.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The problem is, that if you don't have much experience, then how are you going to prove you're qualified over any Canadians that apply for the job, and convince the employer that your skills are worth their time and money of doing the LMO app for you?

Or do you have another route to a visa? If so, that's more feasible as if you go job hunting with PR, you'll be much more attractive to an employer.

Good luck.
Hi, I was thinking about moving to Canada and still work for my employer here in the UK and have the UK wages paid while living in Canada, but not sure how the wages from UK will be enough to pay the living cost in Canada.
We are thinking about going to British Columbia but its not definite decision and the final place isn't known.
Would that be a good and do-able way of migrating to Canada?
Apologies for random questions but some of your answers are triggering the following questions.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Would that be a good and do-able way of migrating to Canada?
Erm.......no! You can't just move to Canada without a visa. You could try and enter as a visitor (making sure you don't take all your worldly possessions etc), but that wouldn't let you stay permanently.

If you want to migrate, you'll need to look at the Wiki or CIC website to see if you qualify for a visa.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you want to migrate, you'll need to look at the Wiki or CIC website to see if you qualify for a visa.
Thanks for this.
Just did assessment on CIC website and it shown positive result.
Would that be an option to open Canadian branch of the UK company and work there? Would that be possible at all? If so, would it be difficult?
Apologies for number of questions but I am just trying to get as much info as possible and pick the right way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.