Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Social networks...

Social networks...

Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:04 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social networks...

Was just wondering if anyone on here is using social network sites for work?

My employers have had a sales conference recently where all the sales guys were encouraged to get on to sites like linkedin to boost their contacts etc and I wasnt really aware how much prospecting (etc) goes on by this method....
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:22 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social networks...

Originally Posted by jericho

My employers have had a sales conference recently where all the sales guys were encouraged to get on to sites like linkedin to boost their contacts etc and I wasnt really aware how much prospecting (etc) goes on by this method....
People register with linked in - but nobody that I know actually uses it for anything - all the accounts are dormant. I used to be on it but then I realized social networks were lame and so I deleted my account.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:28 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
People register with linked in - but nobody that I know actually uses it for anything - all the accounts are dormant. I used to be on it but then I realized social networks were lame and so I deleted my account.
...surprised it's still going? - always thought it was a kind of Friends Reunited for people who weren't very popular at school?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:28 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I started to Twitter, and I was quite conscientious for 3 weeks, then I noticed that people who were following me were just following me in the hope that I'd follow them, anyway I have not tweeted for several months, but my followers continue to increase

Total waste of time for any normal person.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:32 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I started to Twitter, and I was quite conscientious for 3 weeks, then I noticed that people who were following me were just following me in the hope that I'd follow them, anyway I have not tweeted for several months, but my followers continue to increase

Total waste of time for any normal person.
I can see the use of twitter for real time commentaries - financial, political, sporting etc. You are right about it being a waste of time for most people - who cares about what other people are doing? not me.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by bsmith
...surprised it's still going? - always thought it was a kind of Friends Reunited for people who weren't very popular at school?
I joined up cos I got an email saying somebody added me. That was my only activity until I deleted the account.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:02 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I can see the use of twitter for real time commentaries - financial, political, sporting etc. You are right about it being a waste of time for most people - who cares about what other people are doing? not me.
I worked hard on giving a weekly update on the Winnipeg House market, but I didn't get one "real" person following me, only other people trying to market themselves. Thats still true now.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

I never really got the hang of LinkedIn but I do use Facebook and Twitter. But - most of my connections on there are with folk I'd already built relationships with online, prior to joining the networks.

Social networking is much the same as networking in "the real world". It's about building relationships, not finding a bunch of mindless followers to sell a bunch of stuff to.

You really have to think about what you can do for others first - not what you can get out of them.

Stewart - How come you have no Twitter followers? Did you try following other folks who live in your area, or people who are interested in moving there? You can't just expect people to come and find you on Twitter.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:00 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho

The company i work for have started using "Yammer" in some of the organisations.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:28 pm
RETIRED Realtor

Originally Posted by sparkling_gal

Stewart - How come you have no Twitter followers? Did you try following other folks who live in your area, or people who are interested in moving there? You can't just expect people to come and find you on Twitter.
I had followers, the point I was making was that even though I have not tweeted for months I still keep getting more followers.

It was just .... Silly.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I had followers, the point I was making was that even though I have not tweeted for months I still keep getting more followers.

It was just .... Silly.
I found it's best not to follow back everyone who follows you. Have you tried searching Twitter for Winnipeg? Maybe you could find decent people to follow that way.

I use Facebook more than Twitter tho - as it's not in real time, so you're not relying on people to be online at the same time as you.

You can add me if you like - my twitter username is CathLawson. I don't know if you'll manage to persuade me to move to Winnipeg tho - I'm confused enough about where to live as it is.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:03 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell is the point of twitter??????
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I have had it described as a legal way to stalk celebrities........not sure if it's really stalking though when the idiots are actually announcing there whereabouts etc!!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:44 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

A narcissistic enabler
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

I think for the majority of users, there is no point at all Mandy. Probably a small minority get any real benefit from it. I don't use it often but I know some folk who have it switched on all day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.