Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

social etiquette

social etiquette

Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: social etiquette

I was going to say "take your shoes off" indoors but I see that at least 2 other people have already mentioned that. I'm not sure if that's a regional thing but it was certainly expected in Toronto when I lived there. I always made sure that my feet and socks were clean and smelling nice!

I live in Maryland now and haven't come across that requirement anywhere in the US yet.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

What I am getting from this is don`t go to BBQs on the east coast
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

If you invite me ,then you had better suply the food and drinks or dont bother inviting
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

I think the 'shoes off' thing probably comes from habit in the winter - rather than tracking in snow etc. Just a guess though.

I've always done it in my own place and when visiting others, and that's been in a few provinces now.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:44 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh this thread is wonderful! It's explained a lot - especially about my horrid mother-in-law who haunts Calgary! I can never get to grips with when they eat, except I never get any booze! I also have to take my shoes off immediately at the door, a 12 hour flight notwithstanding. Here in France, 'gouter' or a sort of afternoon munchy ceremony is always at 4.00 p.m. sharp. Like lots of bits of quieter Canada, night comes early and I often watch the stars in my garden, being the only one awake in the village. Whenever asked for dinner I would take chocies or flowers for the hostess, never of course wine as that would imply that my host doesn't know his wine rack.

Kids birthday parties always start at 2 p.m. in my area, and at 3 p.m. all the kids sit down, hand the pressie one by one to the birthday child, and official opening, admiration and thanks take place - with bisous of course, followed by cake at 3 p.m. on the dot. Parents come to get the kids back between 5 and 6 and get offered fruit juice or champagne - or at least that's what my experience has been over the last decade.

If we ever get to Canada, I shall drink whatever I can, whenever offered. I shall also take wine with me, if we can ever afford it! I have done, and passed, my medical and am therefore drinking as much wine as I possibly can, whilst looking to the future, which I am sure will be great, but when I won't be able to afford wine any more!

My husband doesn't know about taking his own meat to a BBQ - but evidently moving to the East Coast maybe we shall have to get used to it. However, I LOVE the idea of moving to Canada so much, the party will be at our place every evening, and you can all just bring your meat with you - or not, as the case may be.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

I can't say I've ever had to take meat to a BBQ. I used to take chicken or something to my brothers when he was having a whole bunch of people over, but that's just cause it was him and I would help out if a lot of people coming.

If I'm going to someone else's for a BBQ I always ask if I can bring something - usually get told no - but usually try and at least take chocolates if not taking some kind of dessert or whatever. I always take my beer/wine and leave whatever is left, although that's usually not much!

Likewise, I'd say most of my friends are the same if I'm hosting.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I was going to say "take your shoes off" indoors but I see that at least 2 other people have already mentioned that. I'm not sure if that's a regional thing but it was certainly expected in Toronto when I lived there. I always made sure that my feet and socks were clean and smelling nice!

I live in Maryland now and haven't come across that requirement anywhere in the US yet.
And guys... make sure your socks are WHITE with a big hole in the one of the heels. This will ensure you fit in perfectly with the male Canucks!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What I am getting from this is don`t go to BBQs on the east coast
You can come to mine - I supplied the tenderloin , the beer and the wine the last time
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:23 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
And guys... make sure your socks are WHITE with a big hole in the one of the heels. This will ensure you fit in perfectly with the male Canucks!
Aren't you just a barrel of laughs.......not.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:50 pm
Happy Helper

Buddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud of

After 35 years of living in Canada, mainly in Ontario but the last ten years in Nova Scotia, I have been exposed to all the "expectations". Taking your shoes off at the door on your way in is a must, everywhere. It's not just the snow you track in. In winter there is a liberal amount of salt spread on roads and driveways right up to peoples entrances, and salt on carpets absolutely ruins them. I suggest that even if you are told "Don't bother taking your shoes off", take them off anyway. Your hosts will quietly appreciate it, and you.

As newcomers, when you are invited to dinner, drinks, whatever, it is customary to ask "Can I bring anything?" If they say "Just bring yourself", there's your answer. However, it is custom just about everywhere to take with you a small, inexpensive 'hostess' gift. It may be a box of chocolates, a small potted plant, a bottle of wine, whatever. It's just a nice way of saying thank you for having me. I have never known it to be expected that you take anything of substance like the meat or your own booze, but it is never, in my experience, frowned on to offer either. When we entertain we expect nothing to be brought, and everyone we know is the same. After offering, though, we often take dessert, a bottle of wine, some beer. The less you know the inviter, the less is expected of you. We always take a small hostess gift to people we have know well for decades. Like I say, it's the done thing.

Here in Nova Scotia, after dinner actually means after lunch. In the evening the meal is supper. When invited for dinner just ask what time they would like you to come. If they frown on a question like that I doubt you'll want to get to know them well. Overall here I find people very friendly, tolerant and helpful. If they know you are new and doing your best, that will do the trick. East-coasters are amazingly friendly, by the way.

Last edited by Buddyboy; Dec 7th 2010 at 12:30 am.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buddyboy
I suggest that even if you are told "Don't bother taking your shoes off", take them off anyway. Your hosts will quietly appreciate it, and you.
I always assumed that meant "Please take your shoes off" !
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:30 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Bring you own meat to a BBQ what's next, bring your own plate and cutlery and do the washing up before you leave?

After living in Canada for a few years now, I can fully appreciate why people bring their own booze as it is so damn expensive. But meat? Steaks are so damn cheap over here I would feel like a right scrooge asking friends to bring a slab of steak.

Like many others have said, bringing desserts, appies etc is the norm but being expected to bring the main course is taking it a bit far in my opinion.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:02 am
Banned

Wake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really niceWake N Bake is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowhugs
I was just wondering what the social life is like in Canada, does it vary much from State to state?

I am originally from Holland and found some very different expections and "norms" in Uk. Ie: " come over for tea? what time is thast in Holland that would be 1500 in UK this means evening meal?

Children dont open birthday presents in the uk when invited to a party they wait until all the guests have left and then tuck in to a pile of presents...Strange

In Holland " come for drinks " is about 1800 and guests know to leave before 1930 unless invited for dinner.

Any info would be great , just to get an insight of what I am expected to do.. do we have a "drinks" party for neighbours when we have moved into a property to say hello , or do they do this for us or is this just NOT done...
Stock up on a lot of cheap beer
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:54 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

mmmm my experience is based on my hubbys family, huge with a get together at least every two weeks and certainly dinner at someone or others house a couple of times a week.

For dinner (and its relaxed!) everyone just turns up and brings their own beer (the family are good at consuming alcohol so would be super expensive for the hosts to supply it!), for the get togethers its just a given that everyone will chip in and bring something - pot of chilli, pulled pork, cabbage rolls, steaks (normally whats been shot the hunting season before) and of course your own beer.

After the foods been eaten all the girls tidy / wash up then the drinking, card / dice playing happens until people disperse at their own pace!

I like it this way it just seems as though everyone chips in with everything.

Definately shoes off.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
You can come to mine - I supplied the tenderloin , the beer and the wine the last time
I'm coming to yours too then, sounds great :0)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.