Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So what's everyone doing for Canada Day????

Wikiposts

So what's everyone doing for Canada Day????

Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default So what's everyone doing for Canada Day????

Do you do anything to mark today, do you care??? Coming from England I personally like the whole idea of being able to actually openly celebrate the country you live in...and actually WANT to celebrate it.

We're off to a Canada Day 'rib-off' competition at a friends house for a few beers in the sunshine and some tasty BBQ's ribs...with a flag stuck in the coleslaw no doubt.

Have fun!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:25 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what's everyone doing for Canada Day????

Yeah. We have Waitangi day in NZ and it was always political and about Maori grievances, not really a celebratory day at all.

I've been told that we will be going into Whitehorse today. Apparently there's a big celebration planned with lots of activities for the kids.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:29 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Working.

But will go down to the pier this evening to watch a couple of bands and see the fireworks.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:23 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite a big thing in Canada with lots of backyard gatherings, BBQ's, good food, luscious liquid refreshments and, of course, fireworks. It is even bigger if the day occurs on a Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully the weather is good for everyone across the country.

HAPPY CANADA DAY TO ALL
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

we went into Halifax and watched the military tattoo parade. It was fun and everyone was waving their flags.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:10 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Do you do anything to mark today, do you care??? Coming from England I personally like the whole idea of being able to actually openly celebrate the country you live in...and actually WANT to celebrate it.

We're off to a Canada Day 'rib-off' competition at a friends house for a few beers in the sunshine and some tasty BBQ's ribs...with a flag stuck in the coleslaw no doubt.

Have fun!
Forkin Workin Int I.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:23 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Went to The Raising of the Flag ceremony yesterday, had afternoon tea with Mayor and enjoyed some live outdoor music by the river and enjoyed the late night fireworks. (NG has it's Canada Day on the 30th June to fit in with our neighbouring town's big parade and fireworks today.)

Today I was working from 9-4 but managed to get to see the parade, attended a lunchtime bbq, came home had another bbq with my family and have just been invited out to the Dignans for another bbq this evening. I think I will just drink beer tonight
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Yeah. We have Waitangi day in NZ and it was always political and about Maori grievances, not really a celebratory day at all.
I was in NZ a few years ago and was amazed by the low key nature of Waitangi Day. Coming from Canada I naively expected it to be an exuberant occasion.

Here in Ottawa today I went to Parliament Hill to watch the flag raising ceremony, the changing of the guard and the Musical Ride. It was great to see everyone out having a great time. Eventually the stress of being in a huge crowd with an infant and a toddler wore me down and I have retreated home for a BBQ with friends.

I hope all expats have a great day, especially those enjoying Canada Day for the first time.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:39 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to take the boat around to Coal Harbour and watch the fireworks but the wind has got up and sea in really rough. Also, I don't fancy going under the Lion's gate bridge in the dark. So it'll just be a bbq/piss-up on the dock.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:43 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Stacked some wood,went to park,came home.Took the water pump apart.Fixed that,though got covered in water,tried to get air out of upstairs water system,failed.Scratched head. played football with son till he started sulking.Stacked more wood.
Drunk a beer,now started another.Want to go to bed.

Edited to add,picked up dog crap and he could crap for England.

Last edited by Flogger; Jul 1st 2009 at 10:49 am. Reason: Missed a chore
Old Jul 1st 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future

i worked today but going with wife and boy to the okotoks fireworks happy canada day
Old Jul 1st 2009, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

We went to a pancake breakfast at the legion, watched the parade and had a browse around the car show that was on.

There's a free concert, outdoor movie and fireworks tonight but we've been out all day so I intend to relax indoors for a while.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:12 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We've been painting window frames and skirting, did think about watching the fireworks but as they don't start until 10:45pm I think we'll give that a miss as we've both got work tomorrow
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

went down t'riverside park and baked in the sun, sat on the beach and then spent a while eating and listening to music with what seemed like the entire population of kamloops never seen so many people here before
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:37 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

What I love about Canada is that we actually celebrate the day. Most Canadians are proud to be Canadian and want to celebrate it.

I know i left the Uk a few years ago, but i just do not remember the same celebrations for St Georges day. Is it a bank holiday yet or do you still have to work?

i am lucky to have been able to take the day off work and went quadding at McClean Creek which i had never done before. Had a bbq at the same spot with plenty of wine and steak and some good friends.

Great day, full of mud, wine and good cheer.

Proud to be Canadian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.