Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So tell me everyone, where should we live???

So tell me everyone, where should we live???

Old May 8th 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Mark

Originally posted by Karate Kev
I notice a couple of people have suggested Kamloops, B.C.

So what's that like? Sunny? Snowy? Rainy? Help me out here.

Kev.
Sunny and warm summers, quite snowy winters, not bitterly cold - quite mild actually - and very little rain.
Old May 16th 2004, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough
Default re; where to live....

Hi all,

Well, i think i've narrowed it down to 3 possibilities(..... IF we get in, that is! ); Kamloops - B.C., Calgary - Alberta, or Edmonton - Alberta.

I Gather that all 3 destinations get sunny summers and snowy winters, but this is what I've also heard about them;-

Kamloops has fairly mild, but snowy winters - but also has a bit of rain.

Calgary gets the Chinook winds, which could mess your body thermostat up, as you wouldn't know whether to dress warm or not!

And Edmonton has very very little rain, and although it does get cold, you don't tend to notice it so much, or feel so cold, cos the sun always shines.

So let's have a vote! And as i always ask, let's get some opinions on these 3 locations - pretty please?

Kev.
Old May 16th 2004, 1:58 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

It's not true that Edmonton "gets very very little rain"... or that " the sun always shines".

Out of the three, as far as weather is concerned, Kamloops wins by a landslide. Employment prospects may not be very good, but it has the best weather.
Old May 16th 2004, 2:12 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

You mentioned Medicine Hat - a town of about 50,000. It's not a bad looking little town, and it has the warmest summers in all of Alberta as well as being in the driest part of Alberta.

The problem that I have with Medicine Hat is that it is rather isolated. Another problem is that it is situated in an area that we Albertans call "bald prairie". This is an area devoid of trees (except in the city) and is very flat with miles and miles of grasslands - as far as the eye can see in all directions. The scenery in the countryside is the most boring in all of Canada.

Regarding Calgary's Chinooks - they're wonderful. The warm spells they create melt the snow and dry the sidewalks and streets in the winter. Whereas in Edmonton, they can have snow piled up all winter long - it gets rather sickening. I used to drive to Calgary in the winter, and it was like being on a vacation to get away from all the snow piles in Edmonton.

Last edited by oceanMDX; May 17th 2004 at 1:39 am.
Old May 16th 2004, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough
Default re; oceanMDX

OK, so by process of ellimination, Kamloops may be a no-no because of the possible lack of work, Edmonton may be a no-no due to excessive snow - and maybe a liitle too much rain.....

So it's looking like Calgary may be the final choice. But you know what i'm gonna ask now....

How sunny is it, how snowy does it get, how bitterly cold does it get, what are the house prices like, and how's the job prospects for a carpenter/joiner (and martial-arts instructor)???

Kev.
Old May 16th 2004, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

turfey21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kev,

Another person from Cornwall fleeing for canada. We are hoping to move to Canada and have taken a shine to BC but are unsure what area to locate to also. I want to continue to enjoy my horses and have land to keep them on and also enjoy mountain biking and outdoor pursuits but can we decide where to go. Properties don't seem to bad in the Okhangan Valley or Kamloops area.

have you done a rough test to see how many points you would receive?
Also have you got a house to sell and what and who are you taking? Its just going to be my husband and I and our pet dog.
I have worked in retail and with horses for years so I am looking for either a ranch type job or a job in a town.

I have noticed petcerta has anyone ever been in one and what are they like?

Let us know how you get on Kev, I haven't started ours yet as I believe they take from 6-12 months and then you have got up to 1 year to move before they expire.

kelly

In really sunny cornwall today
Old May 16th 2004, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: re; oceanMDX

Originally posted by Karate Kev
OK, so by process of ellimination, Kamloops may be a no-no because of the possible lack of work, Edmonton may be a no-no due to excessive snow - and maybe a liitle too much rain.....

So it's looking like Calgary may be the final choice. But you know what i'm gonna ask now....

How sunny is it, how snowy does it get, how bitterly cold does it get, what are the house prices like, and how's the job prospects for a carpenter/joiner (and martial-arts instructor)???

Kev.
Calgary is very sunny but it does get bitterly cold in winter.

The job prospects are good in your field because there are lots of new homes being built. Carpentry is a regulated profession in the province of Alberta and this should be investigated.

House prices are still quite reasonable compared with some other Canadian cities. You can still get a brand new 3 bedroom detached home in a beautifully landscaped disneyland-esque neighbourhood for £100,000.
Old May 16th 2004, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by turfey21
Hi Kev,

Another person from Cornwall fleeing for canada. We are hoping to move to Canada and have taken a shine to BC but are unsure what area to locate to also. I want to continue to enjoy my horses and have land to keep them on and also enjoy mountain biking and outdoor pursuits but can we decide where to go. Properties don't seem to bad in the Okhangan Valley or Kamloops area.

have you done a rough test to see how many points you would receive?
Also have you got a house to sell and what and who are you taking? Its just going to be my husband and I and our pet dog.
I have worked in retail and with horses for years so I am looking for either a ranch type job or a job in a town.

I have noticed petcerta has anyone ever been in one and what are they like?
There are lots of places that you would like. Okanagan, Kamloops; all great ranch type country. Do you or your husband need to work to finance it? That's always a catch-22: beautiful place to live, no work to finance it...

Petcetera is just a big box pet store. Sort of like B&Q, but filled with pet stuff.
Old May 16th 2004, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya,

we have got a bit of money we can buy outright and then work obviously to live ie eat and pay the bills and hopefully rent out some fields or start a website and get some people over for holidays.

we are looking to start up to $250,000 really and then one day maybe 5 or 6 years down the line when we are settled in Canada going for something a little bigger with a lot of land, stables, indoor arena and a pool.......don't want much do I!!!!!

Mothe In Law is hoping to come to:scared:
Old May 16th 2004, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

oh forgot to ask, I noticed that petcerta are opeing up quite a few more stores, I have checked out their website and contacted them about jobs and now I think I will just wait until we are over there and walk right into one hopefully getting a job, I don't care what job they offer me as I love pets and know loads about how to care for them, all the different brands of food and have got dog nutrition qualifications.

Do you know how much they pay in $?
Old May 16th 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Default re;

Hi turfeu21 and CalgaryAMC.

Turfey21, i've heard it takes an average of 10 to 16 months for the visa from start to finish - but in extreme cases it can take up to 3 years! I know, due to my age, my trade, and my work experience, that i have the suffient points - the only thing that may be a problem, is that my son's confined to a wheelchair with cerebral-palsy - but i think, and hope, the Big-Man-Upstairs is smiling on us, and we're gonna go for it anyway. And as far as our house is concerned, we hope to release its' equity, which will be around £80,000 hopefully, and then we'l rent it out to help pay the mortgage for us. At least that way, IF we decide to return, we'l still be on the extortinate U.K. property ladder!!!
Where abouts in Cornwall are you?

CalgaryAMC, thanx for the info. Pity a nice house will cost around £100,000 - I was hoping more in the lines of CAD$150,000 - about £60,000 - £70,000.

But IF we're accepted, we'l rent first anyway - and search around for a nice 4 or 5 BR on the outskirts in our pricerange.

Kev.
Old May 16th 2004, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kev,

I hopefully will get it, but the education part is a little sketchy, I have got no degrees or diplomas but over 12 years of work experience.

I am right down the toe part of Cornwall, how about you?
Old May 16th 2004, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Default re; turfey

To be honest, i think age (25 to 49 years old) and works experience is probably more important than school qualifications - i ain't no Einstein!!

But due to my extraordinarily old age!! (42), it means i've been working for a living for over 20 years in my chosen trade.

And by the way, we're mid-Cornwall - little village called Bugle, just outside St. Austell.

Kev.
Old May 16th 2004, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Default turfey

Well Turfey21, I'm sure we'l talk again on the forum - but if not, the very best of luck - to both of us!

I'm gonna go offline now, cos the computer's in my son's room, and also, Alias is on the Bravo channel in 5 minutes!!!

Take care,

Kev.
Old May 17th 2004, 12:24 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by turfey21
oh forgot to ask, I noticed that petcerta are opeing up quite a few more stores, I have checked out their website and contacted them about jobs and now I think I will just wait until we are over there and walk right into one hopefully getting a job, I don't care what job they offer me as I love pets and know loads about how to care for them, all the different brands of food and have got dog nutrition qualifications.

Do you know how much they pay in $?
$8.50/hr in BC no benefits, nil hours contract, on-call. No vacation paid either. They expect you to be available for any shift at any time. Petcetera is also going bust in Canada, because it is expensive and is not well regarded, so I would look to an established independent if I were you. Larger department type stores selling clothes and stuff (like Sears) are marginally better for wages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.