Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So many questions ..........

So many questions ..........

Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Default So many questions ..........

I have loads of questions that keep flying around in my mind. I didn't know whether it would be better to post individual questions of one thread with them all on. I've decided to go with one just in case anyone out there can answer more than one question. So here goes:

· Can anyone let me know their experience of coming to Canada on a Temp Work Permit and then decided to look at converting their stay in Canada into a permanent visa?

· What is the down side of initially entering on a Temp Work Permit, and the 'risk' element, especially with accompanying young children (9 and 11)?

· If you are lucky to find a job and get the TWP, do you sell up in the UK in the hope that you can then go down the PNP route? I suspect this depends on individual circumstances, however it would be good to hear people's views.

· Maybe clutching at straws on this one but does anyone know of any transport companies with LMOs ready to use?

I think I'll leave it there for now.... no doubt tomorrow will bring more questions!!

Many thanks
Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:58 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many questions ..........

To be honest this is going to be an individual thing , how adverse you are to risk and your own circumstances etc. There are many who come here on WP and then covert to PR either using federal route or PNP route.

For some, to get their foot in the door, they will be lucky enough to get a job offer so take that chance and route and then sort the rest once you are here. Risk factors are going to be around if that job is lost prior to PR coming through, you would have to start the process again ie find a job, get lmo, get new wp etc.

Others have applied to get PR first and then landed with security that they are here, but then have to find the job.

Some apply for PR say via PNP,(there are limited options of places to go to in Canada that offer PR via PNP without a job offer) then obtain job offer whilst PR process is going through, get a WP to arrive sooner, but at least are then part way through the PR process, this reducing the risk element.

From a housing perspective, again there are people who have sold and gone on the WP route and others who have maintained the house in the uk until they have PR etc.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Thanks Nikki, I think you're right, they do depend on an individual's circumstances.

I think we're just going to have to grab the bull by the horns and go for it, otherwise we run the risk of always wondering what if.....!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hi,
I know Westcan Bulk Transport have employed people from the UK, this is the link http://westcanbulk.openopp.ca/page/steps
I don't know what the current situation is, but the above link is still live on their website.
I know a lot of UK drivers go to CCA Truck School to convert their licence, it used to take about 5 days for an experienced HGV driver convert.
Hope this helps
Sam
Old Apr 8th 2011, 12:34 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Thanks Nikki, I think you're right, they do depend on an individual's circumstances.

I think we're just going to have to grab the bull by the horns and go for it, otherwise we run the risk of always wondering what if.....!
where are you looking to move to?
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I have loads of questions that keep flying around in my mind. I didn't know whether it would be better to post individual questions of one thread with them all on. I've decided to go with one just in case anyone out there can answer more than one question. So here goes:

· Can anyone let me know their experience of coming to Canada on a Temp Work Permit and then decided to look at converting their stay in Canada into a permanent visa?

· What is the down side of initially entering on a Temp Work Permit, and the 'risk' element, especially with accompanying young children (9 and 11)?

· If you are lucky to find a job and get the TWP, do you sell up in the UK in the hope that you can then go down the PNP route? I suspect this depends on individual circumstances, however it would be good to hear people's views.

· Maybe clutching at straws on this one but does anyone know of any transport companies with LMOs ready to use?

I think I'll leave it there for now.... no doubt tomorrow will bring more questions!!

Many thanks
Theres all sorts of posts here covering some of these topics, but here is another lot of answers...

I came on a permit and started the move to PR, then citizenship. That was years ago now, but it was relatively straightforward. Might be different now, Ive no recent experience.

Downside to a TWP is two fold. One, you can only do that job for that employer, so if it ends for some reason its a major hassle, It can feel liek the sword of Damocles is dangling above you. Second, on a work permit you will find credit cards and a mortgage hard if not impossible to get.

Coming on a work permit its a personal decision whether to sever all ties. I didnt have much to leave in the UK to be honest, I never could afford my own place there. With kids involved I would have a plan B to be honest, Layoffs happen here more often than in the UK.

Cant help with the job question, maybe ask in the trucking specific forum.

Good luck
Old Apr 8th 2011, 2:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off your bow-lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. And do not let what you cannot do, interfere with what you can do.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 2:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off your bow-lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. And do not let what you cannot do, interfere with what you can do.
Having kids to worry about can rather change that perspective.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:52 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Many thanks
hi smudger, try looking in truck stop news there is company in there that deal with getting UK drivers to Canada (Cant remember their name sorry ) . Like someone else said west can used to do it not sure if they still do. Most of the truck firms who do help drivers get over seem to be in bc or that area. Try putting in Google 'Canadian truck companies who employ british drivers ' im not sure but i think someone mentioned before that there is a thread somewhere on be about truck driving but i dont know how to get to it sorry pretty new to this site myself , im a UK truck driver moving to Toronto area later in year but got my pr through family sponsership having 2 kids already in Toronto. Have to say though the only thing i think of is if these firms are that good why do they have to advertise for drivers in UK and not in Canada ? But Thats just my opinion , hope this helps Good luck with whatever you decide to do,
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

thelifter is just really nicethelifter is just really nicethelifter is just really nicethelifter is just really nicethelifter is just really nicethelifter is just really nicethelifter is just really nicethelifter is just really nice

bang on fella , bang on
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thelifter
bang on fella , bang on
Yes, isn't Oink eloquent? It's almost as if he pinched that from somebody else. Perhaps, say, Mark Twain?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all

Come to think of it, I've not seen Oink and Mark Twain together in a room.
Perhaps Oink merely repeated his own wise words?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essay
Come to think of it, I've not seen Oink and Mark Twain together in a room.
Neither have I. Of course, Mark Twain being dead may have something to do with that.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Neither have I. Of course, Mark Twain being dead may have something to do with that.
Mark died? How come I'm always the last one to find these things out?

I think admin should retire his username before some unscrupulous stirrer claims it for his own.

RIP Mr. Twain, and thanks for all the laughs.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:52 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Do it! People who succeed don't just sit and think about what they want to do. They take meaningful, purposeful, directional action consistently and persistently. Every step they take puts them toward the outcome they're looking for.

(From another great American...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.