Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So many places to choose from, help!!

So many places to choose from, help!!

Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile So many places to choose from, help!!

Hi, my husband and I have decided we want to move to canada, we ahve two children aged 10 and 5. I been on the net constantly since deciding, which was about june/july time, but cannot decide where's the best place for jobs, schools etc. My hubby is a painter and decorater and also has 10 years experience truck driving, don't know where to start with jobs looked at various websites but not sure how to go about applying or when. Going out to edmonton in jan 08 to have a look any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:54 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many places to choose from, help!!

Painters/decorators are in huge demand where I live, if that's of any help.

Where to settle is a very personal choice - I suggest you make a list of what you want out of your new country, then research to see how different provinces and cities measure up.

Think about things like climate (rainfall, snowfall, average temps winter and summer), geography (lakes, mountians or ocean etc), accessibility (nearest airport, access to work, recreation) and the lifestyle you're looking for.

I used sites like this: http://www.britishcolumbia.com/ to get a flavour of places, but ultimately once you've narrowed down your choices a trip over here to explore is likely to help clarify the research.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: So many places to choose from, help!!

Thanks for the info R I C H. I think my hubby is worried about the job situation, whether he would get hired with just moving or being an immigrant?? I looked at so many different places & they all look equally beautiful. which makes the decision even harder. I will look at the website you mentioned. cheers for that.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:07 pm
Banned

ipevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
Thanks for the info R I C H. I think my hubby is worried about the job situation, whether he would get hired with just moving or being an immigrant?? I looked at so many different places & they all look equally beautiful. which makes the decision even harder. I will look at the website you mentioned. cheers for that.
Why not set-up your own decorating business at least fate is in your own hands that way!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

i suppose thats one way around it!! thanks.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:22 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Easiest way to get here would be to approach a company like http://sunvalleypainting.com/ and see if they're willing to employ and sponsor your husband through the PNP (Provincial Nomination Program). You could move out here in a matter of months if that route became available to you. That would provide you with temporary work permits (he'd be tied to his new employer, you'd get an open permit) - you'd be entitled to apply for permanent residency while working under temporary work permits (WP's last for between 1-3yrs)

I moved here with a 3yr WP, and started my own business while PR is under process, so what ipevo suggests is certainly possible.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Head out west. The only danger is that there are quite a few contractors in Vancouver that will kidnap him once they find out he is a competent painter/decorator.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

He's got 9 years experience. Just not sure how to go about applying for jobs. Not sure exactly when we will move out to canada. Do you have to have a job offer to get a TWP?? There's so much to look at we don.t seem to be gettin any further. Whether we'll have a better prospective once we have visited in jan
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:14 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If he has trade qualifications he will be eligible for the provincial nominee program. For a $500 investment an employer can have a WP for him within two months (but you will also need to apply for permanent residence as a skilled worker).
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:19 pm
Pea Brain

He's got 9 years experience. Just not sure how to go about applying for jobs.
Just as you would in the UK - put together a CV (resume), write a covering letter, follow up with phone call. As said before, find a company willing to help with PNP and you could be here in a few months.

If you're here in Jan, make enquiries, visit companies and get your name known.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

He hasn't got trade qualifications really just experience, would that count or do most employers want some sort of proof of qualifications.??
Would you think that approaching someone while we out there would be better or e-mailing his cv??
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thats an exciting but scary thought esp when we've got the 2 kids to think of
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I can see your problem. I just googled "best quality of life in canada" and got the following page hits (this is the first page by the way) the answer to the question I have picked out in bold

Originally Posted by google hit for "best quality of life in canada"
Canada's Technology Triangle(Jun 11, 2005) We may not have the best quality of life in Canada, or the greatest economic potential, but when it comes to getting a bang for your buck, ...
www.techtriangle.com/viewnews.cfm?newsid=319 - 42k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Welcome to VisasCanada.com - Amirsalam & Damitz Canada Immigration ...Newfoundland and Labrador offers immigrants the best quality of life in Canada, freedom, security, economic opportunity and a sense of family. ...
http://www.visascanada.com/categorie...d_Labrador_PNP - 23k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

SASKWATER POSTS PROFIT - Government of Saskatchewan... SaskWater supports the government of Saskatchewan’s commitment to provide our citizens with the best quality of life in Canada.” ...
http://www.gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=b7f...a-d9bd89b987ce - 16k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

College and UniversityHigh Quality Standards. The best quality of life in Canada is the result of government monitoring every aspect of its people freedom. ...
www.greatbrains.ca/index-2.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

[PDF] choose lethbridge YOU BELONG HERE.File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
that offers the best quality of life in Canada! For more infomation,please contact:. Linda Borggard 403.329.5529 [email protected] ...
www.chooselethbridge.ca/media/publication_4.pdf - Similar pages - Note this

Debates - Issue 15 - March 14, 2001... that is the sharing with everyone of the advantages of economic prosperity, being in favour of the best quality of life in Canada and wanting to have a ...
http://www.parl.gc.ca/37/1/parlbus/c...&Parl=37&Ses=1 - 129k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

[PDF] Wednesday, March 14, 2001File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
best quality of life in Canada and wanting to have a positive. influence on the international community, are certainly four ...
http://www.parl.gc.ca/37/1/parlbus/c...01-03-14-e.pdf - Similar pages - Note this

Hansard -- Volume 1, Number 14 -- Wednesday, July 10, 1996We in British Columbia enjoy the best quality of life in Canada. We are blessed with many renewable resources, great wealth, oceans, lakes, rivers, ...
www.leg.bc.ca/Hansard/36th1st/ha0710p.htm - 163k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

FINAEV68-eThis is not in keeping with the objective of first nations citizens enjoying the best quality of life in Canada. Slide 2 demonstrates that the population of ...
cmte.parl.gc.ca/Content/HOC/committee/371/fina/evidence/ev1041079/finaev68-e.htm - 186k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

2006 Quality of Life Survey - Supercars.netI saw on TV a couple days ago where some study said Leamington, Ontario (where I used to live and my bro' was born) had the best quality of life in Canada. ...
http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...2841&bottom=40 - 38k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

I dont think there is any one answer to your question as that seems to cover the whole country east to west, north to south.

Me? I'll stay where I am thanks.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:12 pm
Pea Brain

He hasn't got trade qualifications really just experience, would that count or do most employers want some sort of proof of qualifications.??
Would you think that approaching someone while we out there would be better or e-mailing his cv??
Don't know about the 'trades' if experience or qualifications are both needed - you'll only find out the reality by talking to employers I suspect.

Regarding your 2nd question, I guess it depends on how quickly you want things to progress? Perhaps a compromise is to email and phone shortly before your visit and have some meetings lined up as a result?

A friend of mine came over for a holiday in the summer, approached an electrical company while here and was offered a job the same day. His brother in law did the same thing last fall (he's a carpenter) and also got offered work before he went back to the UK.

I'd suggest face to face is likely to have the best response, and as you're making a trip here anyway, why not start the ball rolling with some initial contact? You need to ask yourself if you're offered a job, are you in a position to then take it up - have you made the mental commitment to move over here?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

TinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my husband and I have decided we want to move to canada, we ahve two children aged 10 and 5. I been on the net constantly since deciding, which was about june/july time, but cannot decide where's the best place for jobs, schools etc. My hubby is a painter and decorater and also has 10 years experience truck driving, don't know where to start with jobs looked at various websites but not sure how to go about applying or when. Going out to edmonton in jan 08 to have a look any suggestions greatly appreciated.
HI,

Dont know if you know, but there is an immigration show this weekend in York ( Racecourse) and next weekend in Coventry. Could help point you in the right direction with regards to which visa route to take/opportunities and areas etc..

Kind regards,

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.