Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So how old when you went?

So how old when you went?

Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Question So how old when you went?

How old were you when you moved to Canada from wherever you came from?

I'll be 35-36 by the time my application's sorted and I must admit, I feel a bit intimidated about starting all over again at that age! (in case you're wondering "why the hell're you going then?!" it's to be with my Canadian partner).
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:40 pm
John Thom Don

Default Re: So how old when you went?

Don't be soft.

I'm 32, 33 by the time I go (I hope)

Apparently 34 is the average age that we think about a change of career/life path.

You'll have an experience and wisdom that'll help u succeed over there which u wouldn't have had if u'd gone in your twenties.

:0)

John

Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Mr Lee

I'll be 35-36 by the time my application's sorted and I must admit, I feel a bit intimidated about starting all over again at that age! (in case you're wondering "why the hell're you going then?!" it's to be with my Canadian partner).
I was 37, married, two teenagers and one 6 year old when I came here - I also felt a bit intimidated about starting again, especially with the added responsibility of a family - but we worked hard and its ok! - just do it!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:00 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My dad's Canadian so I lived there briefly when I was little. Don't remember it though. I was about 31 when I first left for the US then 34 when I moved to Spain and will be 36 nearly 37 when I move to Canada again. Oh I did a stint in Ireland as well when I was in my late 20's.

I find moving easy. It's staying put I struggle with.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving to Canada with my Canadian wife next year and I'll be approaching my 43rd birthday by then!

Occasionally if I'm honest it bothers me just a tiny bit to think about my age but I'm really looking forward to the new adventure ahead and I push the negative thoughts away. If I didn't I'd never get anything done!

Age is just a number.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

I was 32, married with two kids ( 2 & 6 ).
That was July 7 1963.
We still live in Ottawa and now have 3 grandchildren. All live close by.

Last edited by Keith; Nov 14th 2003 at 11:19 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving to Canada with my Canadian wife next year and I'll be approaching my 43rd birthday by then!

Occasionally if I'm honest it bothers me just a tiny bit to think about my age but I'm really looking forward to the new adventure ahead and I push the negative thoughts away. If I didn't I'd never get anything done!

Age is just a number.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

tonster is an unknown quantity at this point

I was 27. Going back next month though.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

Originally posted by Mr Lee

Hi

Your feelings are pretty normal. I was 36, my husband 38 and our kids were 6 and 3. The majority of folks moving here (from our experience) is around the early to mid thirties.

Good Luck!!
Old Nov 16th 2003, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

nonong is an unknown quantity at this point

C'mon guys. I'm 55 years old, and I have to start all over again myself.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

I’m 39 probably 40/41 time we get there but hay what an adventure, don’t want to reach 60 and wonder what if.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Well, I am 55...and will be 56 and counting should my application be approved. Surprising how meeting the love of your life can turn your life on its head! Emmigrating at 56...wow...who would have believed it!

Questions? Lots of them! But like a previous poster said...when I am 60 and I look back and had NOT taken this unexpected opportunity for happiness, I would always look back and think...'what if'

As my friends have advised me, 'go for it'

And I am!!
Old Nov 16th 2003, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by macadian
Well, I am 55...and will be 56 and counting should my application be approved. Surprising how meeting the love of your life can turn your life on its head! Emmigrating at 56...wow...who would have believed it!

Questions? Lots of them! But like a previous poster said...when I am 60 and I look back and had NOT taken this unexpected opportunity for happiness, I would always look back and think...'what if'

As my friends have advised me, 'go for it'

And I am!!
I hope you realise that if you stay in Canada until you are 65 you will not be intitled to a full Canadian pension and your UK pension will be pegged at the rate you recieve on retirement. ie Its not going to increase.
http://www.britishpensions.com/problem.html
Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Originally posted by Keith
I hope you realise that if you stay in Canada until you are 65 you will not be intitled to a full Canadian pension and your UK pension will be pegged at the rate you recieve on retirement. ie Its not going to increase.
http://www.britishpensions.com/problem.html

Hi Keith,

Yes, I do. Fortunately I am relatively self sufficient financially (and will be contributing to the Canadian economy) so the pensions you mention, given that I am still around then, will be a a nice addition to my/our old age finances.

However, thank you for the caution

Cheers

Mac
Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:43 am
Banned

fried_emu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default doing it again

I was 4 when my family went to Alberta. They are all still in Canada.

Then I came back to the UK at 28 with hubby and 2 kids. And I am going to do it all over again on 2006!!!! Back to Ontario!!!! To be close to our families and the life we want for our family!

But this time hubby and 3 kids!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.