Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So glad I found this site!!! but now major concerns, anyone ease my worries? :o)

So glad I found this site!!! but now major concerns, anyone ease my worries? :o)

Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

logic500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So glad I found this site!!! but now major concerns, anyone ease my worries? :o)

Originally Posted by poll72000
You'll probably find that things have changed a lot since you were last here. Yes they are a bit behind the UK but who cares. If you do decide Canada is the place for you, you will find other more exciting things to do in life. You will meet more people if you start putting yourself out there and joining in groups that you normally wouldn't have in the UK and you would be welcomed with kindness and generosity.

The majority of people who are on this site seem happy with their decision to move here. There are pro's and con's to everything in life. Its said a lot on here " its what is right for you".

Good luck with your trip.

Thanks for that, appreciate your comments I wouldn't do it in the UK, but if I make it to Ontario I will probably join a church, to meet people, like you say get myself out there to make those connections. Cheers.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:11 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So glad I found this site!!! but now major concerns, anyone ease my worries? :o)

Originally Posted by logic500
I chose Toronto because of the "relatively" short flight time, so I could go see the folks and family
Consider this: with not much disposable $CA those trips to good old Blighty would be pretty damned expensive.

Rich.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

AdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant future

I am kinda of the same position, but I am 25 (I guess you are a lot older) and only earning 20k a year with probably not as much work experience in my chosen field, most jobs I look at in Canada pay really really badly and most of the ones around TO for computing are programming (which is not me), I want to go to TO because that is where my sister is, but I do not know if I can afford it. I dunno whether to put the application in, forget about it (which probably won't happen) or go over for a year on BUNAC, but if I do that and want to stay, I probably will have to put in the PR application anyway and wait 4 years! haha.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdamF
I am kinda of the same position, but I am 25 (I guess you are a lot older)

35... so just a little older.... not a "lot" older need to get more Oil of Olay on order. It could be like the UK in that the larger the salary the more likely they are to not advertise a rate, maybe, so maybe we're only finding the lower salaries listed... I've almost convinced myself on that. Good luck to you
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to quash some of your concerns as personally i think your thinking a little off mark.

With regards to aparments you can get them a little cheaper than that, i live at young and st clair which is a very nice part of town there is two tower blocks with one beds here for $850 all in, hydro, air con the lot, its only a junior but as a single guy what more do you need. As for the balcony sure it can get a little stuffy sometimes but there are so many beatiful parks, and open spaces many with BBQ pits you will never feel the need to stuffed into your apartment, for instance when i get fidgety we go to the pub with the nice patio or take the dog to centre island and BBQ a steak or two.

There are thousands of grocery stores across the GTA, Sobeys, Loblaws, No frills, IGA, you can have it delivered from www.grocerygateway.com, sure its a little behind the times but thats what most of us appreciate.

If your living in Toronto why on earth would you want a car, if you in any of central toronto, ( and i dont even mean downtown core) public transport is everywhere and cost $100 for a monthly pass that allows to travel all over the GTA from as far west as Mississauga to as far East as Markham. and if you wanted to go away for the weekend once in a while rent one its dirt cheap.

I found setting up home to be dirt cheap here, IKea is fantastic (dont shop at the brick its all crap and no return policy) also the great canadian yard sale is a great place to shop. it seems that your looking in all the wrong places.

As for holidays check www.flightcentre.ca there are literally thousands of all inclusive holidays there for under $500 for a week, the good thing about being in Canada is that we can travel to all the places brits dream of, mexico, dom rep, cuba.

Rome wasnt built in a day and new immigrants who come in waiting for the welcome wagon of great jobs, half a million dollar houses and savings accounts are quickly dissapointed. if you work hard and make an effort to fit into the 'Canadian Way' youl be fine.

IT sounds like your getting cold feet, try to think positivly about your new adventure, dont think about not getting your grocery delivered think about the lovely lady you could meet in the frozen veg aisle!! dont think about sitting on your puny balcony think about the great neighbours you will meet (i have to say after living in apartments for 3 years Landlords normally live in site and do not tolerate loud music and shinagins from tenants)

Good Luck
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

I'd say 'Well Thank Goodness u found this site then'

I first thought about moving to Canada way back in 1997. Times were seemingly harder back then in the UK, well paid jobs seemed harder to find, my house was in negative equity worth less than half of what I had paid just four years earlier, the economy stagnant and it seemed like an ideal time to make a big change in life.

Having had some great holidays in the US, my then partner and I talked about moving to the States. After writing to the US Embassy in London, and buying a couple of books on the subject (pre-internet days… how did we live without the net!) , America was not really going to be a possibility.

We got further information on the immigration policies of Australia, New Zealand and Canada. After a bit of reading we decided that Canada was our preferred place to live and work. Forms were obtained, and a “fact finding” trip to Ontario was booked.

We spent a couple of weeks in early May 1997 travelling around Ontario. I was not surprised by the similarities to the US, but was a little shocked by the low temperatures (snow on the ground at Algonquin!!) and lack of greenery on the trees, seemed like England in February, perhaps it was a late spring, who knows.

Well to cut a long story my ten year relationship ended in December ’97, and my plans for emigrating were binned.

I figured that I had to work harder at my career here in the UK, and that’s what I did. I live in Hull, which is well known for low pay owing to its somewhat isolated location. That said today I’m earning around £30,000, which I know some of you are probably thinking that I’ve hardly set the world on fire, but for this region it’s not bad going.

Lack of any real relationships, and feeling like I’ve done all I can here, I’ve been getting more and more bored with my life, so the thoughts of moving to Canada were re-born, and I started looking into it again early this year (so much easier with the internet!!!).

So getting to the point… at last ;o) I have now completed all the forms for Permanent Residency, have my Police Checks, wrote to all former employers to verify dates of employment etc etc… and I was all set for sending off my application when I stumbled across this site. I’m so glad I did, because it’s opened my eyes to potential problems.

I want to list my concerns, and I would really be glad to hear from all of you guys who are going through the application or are even settled now in Canada for your input or advice. I know ultimately that I have to make the decision myself, but I think as time passes I’m beginning to realise that perhaps I’m making a big mistake.

I’m still in the same house that was in negative equity almost ten years ago, today it’s worth three times what I paid. Having borrowed against it over the years, at current market prices, and after paying off debts I’d have say just $40,000 as my “new life” fund. I was reading that house prices fell for the first time in years just last quarter.. so this little chunk of cash could easily be eroded by the time I get my PR card.

I’ve looked at living in the Greater Toronto Area where the rent is not exactly cheap. I’ve looked at high rise apartments priced around $1300 incl utilities & parking, and basement apartments in houses for around the same sort of cost. I currently live in a semi-detached house, and the neighbours I have are great, but I have had “problem” neighbours too with noise etc. I’m thinking in a high rise, I could have “neighbours from hell” above, below, and either side of me (and be stuck there for a year tied in). Basement apartments could have similar noise problems, and most have very little natural light, would be like living in a rabbit hole ;O)
Here at home I like probably most people have a washing machine, dishwasher in my kitchen, but these apartments for some reason in general have shared “laundry” facilities in the building and not in the apartment kitchens, and at most they have an oven, a fridge, no dishwasher.

Paying over a $1000 a month and living like a student, sitting watching my smalls spin round in a dryer doesn’t seem like an attractive idea. Then there’s food or grocery shopping. I know they have WalMart just like we have Asda here in the UK, but there seems to be no internet delivery service (seem years behind). I’ve had my groceries delivered for the last couple of years, which you could say is an unnecessary expense, but I can’t imagine how you would get bags of shopping from you car up to a high rise apartment, you know back and forth, up and down. In Hull there are some council owned high rise building built in the sixties like a lot of British cities (being in the construction industry I‘m well versed with the types of problems these dwellings have, both physically and the social aspects too). It just seems like a backwards step. Some of the photos of the bathrooms look like very basic. I have a lovely home, beautiful bathroom, great kitchen with a plumbed in American style fridge, think it would kill me to live in very basic accommodation. And not being able to sit in the privacy of a garden in the summer… a balcony only.. Think I would lose the plot. Any comments from anyone who lives in a GTA highrise would be a great help, you know tell how nice it is, how quiet it is, how it’s not a hassle getting your bags of shopping up, or washing you clothes with the other tenants, grasping at straws really. The places which look half decent, have central air/heating are crazy money.

I would obviously need a car, and once again I’ve used the net to check out car prices. Seems second cars cost a lot more than in the UK. I have a two year old Nissan Primera with DVD SatNav, A/C, Reversing Camera etc etc. If I sold it tomorrow I’d be lucky to get £7000 for it. I can just see myself in some crappy little compact, it breaking down in the winter, and it costing a fortune. Why are Canadian second hand cars so expensive. Then the one thing I couldn’t find out was insurance costs. My car costs £35 a month, and I’ve read on here insurance costing hundreds of dollars a month. Is there anyone who can settle my nerves on this one :O) Gas prices are half that in the UK so that might offset a little of my massively increased car costs.

I would have to start a new life with new everything, furniture, air con, decorations, kitchen utensils, bedding, the works. I’ve looked on Sears website, and The Brick for an idea of what I’d need to spend to get basic furniture. Seems you can’t just buy a complete bed, you have to build one ;o) I was blown away by the cost. That would have to be some mighty fine sleeping for the sorts of dollars they are looking for. You could have a very good bed here in the UK for a couple of hundred pounds, seems I’d have to double that. God Bless Argos and DFS. Can anyone tell me if there are other cheaper places to buy furniture.

Onto holidays. Now I know that Canadian’s and Americans seem to get just two weeks vacation leave, but looking at the cost of getting around I probably wouldn’t be able to afford to go anywhere. Having no life, I go to the South of France on average six times a year to chill out from my stressful job Once upon a time this was probably only something films stars could do, but owing to our Greek Mate Stelios and EasyJet, we can pop down to the med sunshine for £80 or less. I love the sun, and I was hoping that I could perhaps nip down to Florida for a weekend or two, but Canadian “budget” airlines are mad prices. The distance is the same as say Manchester to Nice, but WestJet are wanting $400 + for a return trip. I love travelling, love seeing other countries, but I don’t think I’d have the same freedoms in Canada. I found cheap flights to Orlando, and Vegas from Buffalo, NY, so maybe this is an option. Once again any advice please.

Now if the UK housing market doesn’t go into meltdown by 2008 (hoping I’d have my PR card by then) my $40,000 (fingers crossed) isn’t going to go too far, car, apartment costs, furniture etc, so a reasonably well paid job would be vital to my plans not falling apart.

I started out my career as a Quantity Surveyor in the building industry. Today working for a small company, I still do quantity surveying tasks, along with purchasing and estimating. I do the jobs of three people. With my experience I am without sounding cocky a valuable commodity to an employer. If I can’t persuade a Canadian employer to give me a chance, then I’d have to take perhaps an admin type of job to pay the bills. Looking on the net I’d be lucky to get $16.00 max an hour doing this type of thing, and that’s barely going to cover the cost of an apartment, car costs, food, TV, internet (for finding a better job) etc. My savings would soon dwindle, and I’d have to return to the UK to start again broke, and get back on the property ladder.

Reading this posting it does sound very negative, which isn’t a good reflection upon who I am. I strive to be the best I can be, to achieve all I can. But reading some of the posts on the site, has made me hit reality with a hard bump. I would expect to perhaps earn less than I do today as I would need to prove myself, but surely you would need at least $50,000 (less than I earn in a crappy Northern UK city) to get by, and keep going.

I’m sure if you’re going across there with a sizeable chunk of money from the sale of a house, that things would be easier, but that’s not an option for me. I’m guess if you’re coming from Russia, Pakistan, India (or any other developing country) then living in a “tower block” might seem less of a backwards step (and no I’m not been disrespectful to people who come from other nations). I was so up for the move, but now real practical issues, and potential problems lay in front of me. I’d love some help/advice from any Brits that have already taken that massive step and made the move.

I’ve got a “fact finding” trip booked for May 2007, ten years after my first, guess I’ve got to decide now whether this stays as an opportunity to check out things first hand, or whether I’m simply there to be a tourist.

Yours looking for inspiration

Rich

Last edited by Patsy; Jul 7th 2006 at 11:21 pm. Reason: none
Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well he or she (is it a he?) lives in East Yorkshire which probably is a fairly cheap place to live and is comparing it with Toronto, which is one of the most expensive places to live in Canada.

If you really want to try to make a new start over here then I think you should check out the job opportunities in other areas of Canada where it's not so expensive.

I don't know why grocery delivering is not popular over here. Senior citizens often get their groceries delivered in Regina. I am not sure if its not popular because nobody wants it - or if nobody uses it because it's not widely available.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

britishvixen21... thanks for your "insider" comments, that was just the kind of answers I was looking for. The application is going in, and I'm sure I'll have other periods of "cold feet" over the coming couple of years, but I'm sure the excitement of a new life will overwhelm the fears as I get closer to a move.

Thanks

Rich
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

your welcome any other advice you need dont hesitate to pm me il be happy to help where i can. have you thought about comming on a bunac work visa for a year and trying it out maybe. nothing like the real thing to see if you really like it. check out your options at www.bunac.com
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I don't know why grocery delivering is not popular over here. Senior citizens often get their groceries delivered in Regina. I am not sure if its not popular because nobody wants it - or if nobody uses it because it's not widely available.

It's not popular around here because if you use Grocery Gateway the neighbours hate you. Unless you're already so fat as to be able to get out of the door, you should walk to the store, not have some massive truck block the street and poison the air with fumes just to bring you your TV dinner.

Beer delivery is another thing. That's forgivable.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:17 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Beer delivery is another thing. That's forgivable.
[Snorts out loud ]

Pizza delivery too. Preferably after the beer delivery and before the RCMP arrive with their delivery of rough hewn men with short hair and stout short ladies with stern looks, all tailored specifically to bust your crazy happening thang.

Rich.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
[Snorts out loud ]

Pizza delivery too. Preferably after the beer delivery and before the RCMP arrive with their delivery of rough hewn men with short hair and stout short ladies with stern looks, all tailored specifically to bust your crazy happening thang.

Rich.

Well, there's the thing. The pizza man and the beer delivery man use battered but fuel efficient old Corrolas. The weed man is even more environmentally friendly; he delivers by bicycle. We don't order hard drugs but the local cocaine guy walks everywhere. Grocery Gateway try and jam a semi down the street causing traffic jams, pollution and all manner of other bother. It's antisocial to have your lettuce delivered and it'll likely not be one you'd choose anyway.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:34 pm
Lotus-eater

You have a weed man...most excellent.

How very Canadian....that oughta be a question on the citizenship test.... "Q.23 Do you have a weed man?"
Rich.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rich_007
You have a weed man...most excellent.

How very Canadian....that oughta be a question on the citizenship test.... "Q.23 Do you have a weed man?"
Rich.
Oh no, the question should be "are you adequately conversant with the imperial system of measures to be able to buy weed?".
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:43 am
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

I have a house in the Columbia valley within an easy drive west of Calgary and can tell you the following:

- There is plenty of work if you are versatile and not too proud, earning anything from minimum wage to $25/hour
- You can rent a 5 bed house for under $1500/month. You can get a 1 bed suite for about $400/month.
- Car prices are cheaper than the UK from what I have noticed.
- A day trip to Calgary is easily do-able.
- There is loads to do if you like outdoor stuff; skiing, mountain biking, walking, snowmobiling, water sports etc.
- There is a surprisingly large amount of non-outdoor stuff to do too considering the size of the town.
- The town has real sense of community and I know of at least 5 British families there.
- The town is surrounded by mountains and 5 national parks.
- The weather is similar the UK but with slightly colder winters and hotter summers.
- You can buy a nice house $200k, a very nice one for $400k and a nice mobile for $60k

It may sound like the mobile is taking the p*ss a bit but these things can be lovely and are often over 1,000 sqft. Much better than a noisy apartment in Toronto IMHO.

I love it there and we should hear next week if the PNP Business plan has been accepted. If it is (and I was told there was a 95% chance it would be) then the house will go on the market, shippers contacted and it will be full steam ahead.

Another thing that occurred whilst typing this; I have lived in this house in the UK for 7 years BUT know and get on better with my neighbours in Canada better after less than 2 years.

Of course the streets aren't paved with gold, but for me it's great and I can't wait to get there.

I guess what I am trying to say is you should maybe look beyond the large cities and large conurbations. There are plenty of wonderful places to live if you scratch a little deeper.

Ian.

I first thought about moving to Canada way back in 1997. Times were seemingly harder back then in the UK, well paid jobs seemed harder to find, my house was in negative equity worth less than half of what I had paid just four years earlier, the economy stagnant and it seemed like an ideal time to make a big change in life.
Snip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.