Snow tyres

Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

apfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant future
Default Re: Snow tyres

Originally Posted by Southcote
I've seen a few comments about snow tyres now that the winter is upon us - but I am a little confused as to what they are. Do you really have to have two sets of tyres / wheels, or are snow tyres something like snow chains that are put onto existing wheels ?
This is my first Winter here in Calgary and what a start last ween (mid November) it droped to -25 and dumped 6 inches of snow on us. My Chrysler Sebring was all of the place even with all season tyres so I took my self to Walmart and had some sexy new snow tires put on with studs. I am so much more confident on the road now. No skidding or wheel spinning to get up a hill and the car will stop in an emergency if I need to. I figured it was better to invest $500 in good tyres than had an accident that costs $2000. Only problem now is that the weather has changed (it does that in Calgary) and its now +8 and the snow is melting and it sounds like I am driving a land rover. Oh well.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never tried snow tyres. I found that the Mustang went nicely in the snow on all seasons so long as the traction control was turned off and there were some concrete blocks in the boot.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

We've had snow tyres put on our Pontiac Shitfire this year, for the first time. My missus has already had the opportunity to put them to the test because the roads round here are covered with ice. There is a huge difference, apparently, compared with the teflon-coated all-weather tyres we normally have.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:08 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
We've had snow tyres put on our Pontiac Shitfire
You have a Pontiac Sunfire? Oh dear..................
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I think it depends on where you are too. If you are driving where there is little traffic on the roads, the chances are you'll have plenty of time to stop/turn etc at your own pace, but driving on busy city highways with folks cutting you up, and all those terrible 4 way stops, it is helpful to be able to stop in a reasonably timely manner.
What utter nonsense. How often does a deer or a moose jump out in front of a city driver. Country drivers have just as much need of stoping power as city folk who spend there time crawling along in rush hour on nice wide roads with nothing too threatening to hit just off the side of the tarmac.

At the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, SNOW TIRES ARE ALL ABOUT STOPPING IN TIME. The added "getting going" traction is a bonus, but experience with AWD means that sort of traction generally means you are just going faster when you have to try and stop in a hurry.

All seasons do just fine...until you experience the difference winter tires make, and then its like night and day in the bad stuff.

You cant drive too fast on them anyway as there is always some Bozo scared out of his/her wits on all seasons at the front of the queue anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 5th 2006 at 2:02 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You have a Pontiac Sunfire? Oh dear..................
I'd agree that it's probably not the most exciting car around but I'm not in to cars so I don't really care. It does its job and hasn't let us down in the six years we've had it. It's still in good nick, despite the abuse we've put it through. We bought it over t'internet and it was waiting for us at TO airport when we arrived.

It was built in Mexico, possibly by lesbians.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The added "getting going" traction is a bonus, but experience with AWD means that sort of traction generally means you are just going faster when you have to try and stop in a hurry.
It also allows you to get stuck deeper, farther from home. I think the lack of traction in a RWD drive car on wide all season tyres makes that quite a safe choice (as well as being fun). If the wheels spin all the time and you have to go sideways to get up hills you get used to sliding and are very aware of the likelihood of a skid. In a 4WD I always have to remind myself to slow down.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:47 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

this will be the quote that will never die. please refer others to thread, lest you are besieged by folk with pitchforks and burning torches from the PC brigade.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by rae
this will be the quote that will never die. please refer others to thread, lest you are besieged by folk with pitchforks and burning torches from the PC brigade.
Blimey. The subjunctive.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hah, there's irony. My gay Brother in Law's partner drives a Sunfire. Yet it's never struck me as a particularly gay car. Ugly certainly but nowhere near as gay as say, ohh a Honda Element.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:08 pm

Hah, there's irony. My gay Brother in Law's partner drives a Sunfire. Yet it's never struck me as a particularly gay car. Ugly certainly but nowhere near as gay as say, ohh a Honda Element.
Fight time!!!!!!

Sits back and waits.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The Honda Element is the gayest of gaymobiles; a New Beetle convertible prances less.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Honda Element is the gayest of gaymobiles; a New Beetle convertible prances less.
Ah but do you get the plastic flower on the dashboard in the Honda. It seems to be in every new Beetle i've seen.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by printer
Ah but do you get the plastic flower on the dashboard in the Honda. It seems to be in every new Beetle i've seen.
You do not. It's a dyke-mobile.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You do not. It's a dyke-mobile.
Dare i say it, "Is it driven by Mexican Lesbians"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.