Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is this small-townitis, or is this normal?

Is this small-townitis, or is this normal?

Old Oct 18th 2012, 11:25 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this small-townitis, or is this normal?

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Canadians are so polite they dont like saying no. .
Does that apply on the road as well, when you are trying to merge?
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

We're in Kingston. Only lived here since June, so still very early days, but I've been surprised at how much community involvement there is around us. I'm enjoying walking around the neighbourhood because everyone will smile or stop and chat.

Took OH three weeks to get a job. Not his ideal thing to do, but he's relieved to get something and he's liking it at the moment. Lots of jobs advertised here.

Most of the women I've met at the park (I'm a stay at home mum now) have been to England About half graduated from university. They're all really into making stuff - cakes and breads etc, needlework, laundry detergent I can barely boil an egg, so have some catching up to do! They've been very welcoming to me and my children. I feel very lucky.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:11 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggie and chris
We're in Kingston. Only lived here since June, so still very early days, but I've been surprised at how much community involvement there is around us. I'm enjoying walking around the neighbourhood because everyone will smile or stop and chat.

Took OH three weeks to get a job. Not his ideal thing to do, but he's relieved to get something and he's liking it at the moment. Lots of jobs advertised here.

Most of the women I've met at the park (I'm a stay at home mum now) have been to England About half graduated from university. They're all really into making stuff - cakes and breads etc, needlework, laundry detergent I can barely boil an egg, so have some catching up to do! They've been very welcoming to me and my children. I feel very lucky.
That's lovely and I'm very happy for you, but maybe tagging your post onto this thread might not have been the best choice seeing as the op is obviously a tad depressed and isn't finding work.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

My intention was to suggest Kingston as a consideration in response to the OP's last line about other places in Ontario. Someone had mentioned several areas in the province, but not Kingston. If my post has been interpreted as lacking in empathy I'm sorry.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:48 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggie and chris
My intention was to suggest Kingston as a consideration in response to the OP's last line about other places in Ontario. Someone had mentioned several areas in the province, but not Kingston. If my post has been interpreted as lacking in empathy I'm sorry.
Apologies if I took it the wrong way too
Old Oct 19th 2012, 11:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Does that apply on the road as well, when you are trying to merge?
No it does not!!! Dont get me started on Canadian drivers - Im intending to have a relaxing day off today!!!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 11:48 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
There are 75 jobs listed on Job Bank this week (last 7 days) - lots of them are School Bus Driver, Welder, Food and Beverage Server etc.
I'm still applying for anything vaguely interesting that turns up - something like 125 applications since March, including on spec applications to companies.
ohmy:
Ultra runner suggests agencies. I think that's a great idea...have you tried one? I have made an appointment for an agency next week. I've been here a couple of months and would like to find some sort of work now. More than anything, as it's getting more wintery I may go nuts if I have to stay here all day on my own...my husband is away till the end of Nov. I haven't applied for any sort of employment here yet..as I'm scared..if I don't apply, then I can't be turned down! I make it sound amusing, but it really worries me. Have you thought of volunteering for something, to get you out and more into circulation. I am starting that next week too...on bad days you want to hide under the duvet!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:10 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Ultra runner suggests agencies. I think that's a great idea...have you tried one? I have made an appointment for an agency next week. I've been here a couple of months and would like to find some sort of work now. More than anything, as it's getting more wintery I may go nuts if I have to stay here all day on my own...my husband is away till the end of Nov. I haven't applied for any sort of employment here yet..as I'm scared..if I don't apply, then I can't be turned down! I make it sound amusing, but it really worries me. Have you thought of volunteering for something, to get you out and more into circulation. I am starting that next week too...on bad days you want to hide under the duvet!
Wow....Finally some takes my suggestions I better not get comfy with this

It's a no-brainer, volunteer work will get you out there doing something and can lead to a part / full time work either through networking or requirements and level of effort.
The agencies are shysters, but they get you into the workforce. Keep at it, like you said it's scary but once you get your feet wet, there is no stopping you

Don't expect to be making loads of dosh right away though
Old Oct 27th 2012, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks again all. I liked Kingston too Maggie - glad you are settling in well there. Thank you Mandymoochops for your sensitivity - much appreciated. I wasn't offended.
I have been doing everything I can think of to 'get myself known' (in a good kind of way ) here. I have been volunteering since February - I wrote the marketing copy for the local theatre/ band venue back in spring, then I volunteered for the Literacy Council for 6 months, writing them computer manuals, cataloguing all their learning resources, and re-doing all their mailing list databases. And I am Marketing and Communications Director for the local girls hockey association.
And I am doing my best to run a photography business, but I have had less work this year than I did last year, so that isn't going too well. I have a few hockey team shoots lined up though.
I also have 4 children. 3 play hockey and 1 is a figure skater, so I have met a lot of parents of kids in both kits, and every time I get chatting to someone, I tell them I am looking for work and ask them to let me know if they come across anything.
There aren't any 'job agencies' so to speak here, just the job centre, and I have a standing appointment every 2 weeks with my employment counsellor - who does a great job listening to me on my 'down' weeks.
There is one temping agency (just occurred to me that might be what you mean ultrarunner), and they do know me there - they have my resume, I speak to them pretty often, and I send in a fresh resume every time they advertise an appropriate job.
I have been doing a lot of networking, and was invited onto the Local Communicators group (which is my work area) - I've met up with them every month for about 5 months now.
There just isn't very much of that kind of work up here.
I've been invited to (and attended) the professional networkers groups, and the women in business group, and I'm the contact person for the girls hockey association at the chamber of commerce, so I get invited to all the chamber of commerce networking events.
And I'm still not getting anywhere...
I have applied for about 50 jobs in the GTA over the last couple of weeks, some that really appeal to me. Keeping my options open
I'm getting more and more convinced that this particular city will not be a long term home for us.