Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Skype and reticent relatives

Skype and reticent relatives

Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Dowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really nice
Default Skype and reticent relatives

Any advice on how to get relatives and friends to use skype?

They've got the software and equipment but still won't use it.
I know I'm just sounding off but It's soooo frustrating.

Frustrated of Canada.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Skype and reticent relatives

Originally Posted by Dowski

Frustrated of Canada.
Offer it sit in front of the camera naked? That may get them connected.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Offer it sit in front of the camera naked? That may get them connected.
Works for me to get my husband to call me
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Dowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really nice

Advice much apprciated

But the only reason I wear a shirt outside is because people complain.

Dowski
Old Sep 27th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Skype and reticent relatives

my parents are the ones nagging me to get skype!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Maybe get them a USB handset if they dont already have one, and a Skype-in number that might encourage them to treat it as a normal phone.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:10 am
pittys place off we go!!!

pittysplace is an unknown quantity at this point

Frustrated of Canada.
tell them to simply click on download sykpe, when thats done add your user name in contacts then click on send with video....easy,good luck!!!!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul5455
my parents are the ones nagging me to get skype!
Do try it at least.
We set it up within a fortnight of arriving and now my kids get to see their Gran everyday.

And if you don't like it - no harm done.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 3:18 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

I have been here 7 years, parents have heard of the word computer but do not know what it means.

Rest of the family have not learnt how to make long distance phone calls

I know I have a sister in law who does know how to make a phone call, but that was only to tell me my dad had died Then they waited for 4 hours to make the call so it was in the middle of the night for me. They have not learnt about the world being round and time zones.

I believe it is a northern, head in the sand attitude they have, cos they do tell me nothing is wrong in england and it is always sunny!

Ah well moan over,
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

My sister in Australia has Skype, so my brother and I set our systems up. We've had a couple of chats, but I find it really disorientating, and much prefer to use the phone. I don't really like video conferencing at work either - it's very stilted somehow. We have Vonage, and both a UK phone number and a Canada one. That means that my friends and family can ring here and it costs them the same as ringing London. The only issue I've had with it is that my letting agent occasionally forgets the time difference. With my family we just have a set time at the weekend that works for everyone, and I usually phone my brothers and sisters/parents every couple of weeks. It is usually that way around though (not that I mind, as all our phone calls are free).
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:45 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Frustrated of Canada.
We used to use Messenger for that from about 1999. My dad used to sit there just looking at the screen in amazement. Worst was a family party with us sitting in the background while they were all singing and pithed as farts. We had to keep reminding them it was only 11 am for us. I spoke to my parents more when we were miles away.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just use the telephone? It's cheap these days.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
Skype 2 Skype is free.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
But I'm even cheaper!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:35 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

But I'm even cheaper!
With VOIP (internet phone) you don't pay anything for calls to the UK. Its much more convenient than trying to get people to sit down at the computer at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.