Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Skype

Hi

Do not frequent this forum now we are not moving to Canada, but need a bit of feedback from you guys in Canada.

My brother in law in Ontario has suggested we download Skype to get cheap calls between the UK and Canada via our PCs

Can anyone tell me anything about this system and is it worth downloading?

Have heard about Skype, but not got a clue what it is.

Thanks

Graham
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:49 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype

Originally Posted by Gray C
Hi

Do not frequent this forum now we are not moving to Canada, but need a bit of feedback from you guys in Canada.

My brother in law in Ontario has suggested we download Skype to get cheap calls between the UK and Canada via our PCs

Can anyone tell me anything about this system and is it worth downloading?

Have heard about Skype, but not got a clue what it is.

Thanks

Graham
Yes - I use it all the time. Download it on your pc (very very easy), and can use it one of 2 ways:

1. PC to PC calls / video conference. This is free
2. PC to phone - you pay for this, but apparently rates are very good

I only use the pc to pc video conference. Just buy a $20 webcam and off you go!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Yes - I use it all the time. Download it on your pc (very very easy), and can use it one of 2 ways:

1. PC to PC calls / video conference. This is free
2. PC to phone - you pay for this, but apparently rates are very good

I only use the pc to pc video conference. Just buy a $20 webcam and off you go!
Thanks. I think it is worth a go. I will download it

Cheers

Graham
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:53 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I think it is worth a go. I will download it

Cheers

Graham
There is one draw back - it now take my wife half an our to prepare for a call! Either that or she pretends the webcam isn't working!!!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rob_999
There is one draw back - it now take my wife half an our to prepare for a call! Either that or she pretends the webcam isn't working!!!
Ummm that is a good point
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

we dont use a webcam just a headset (cheapest option too) . Got an odd "wrong number" the other day from Czech republic..hmmm.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by seasprite
we dont use a webcam just a headset (cheapest option too) . Got an odd "wrong number" the other day from Czech republic..hmmm.
Is this a special headset, or just what we use for I Pods etc?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Forget what I have just typed. Not thinking. You would need a mike too
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:00 pm
Bring on the snow!

You can use anything - but will need a microphone.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Husband got it from cheap shop...(£15) works very well though. It must have a mouthpiece and headphones, so you can speak and listen. (like those telesales ones).We just have computer on broadband and headset hanging up next to it on a the lamp and that is good enough!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by seasprite
Husband got it from cheap shop...(£15) works very well though. It must have a mouthpiece and headphones, so you can speak and listen. (like those telesales ones).We just have computer on broadband and headset hanging up next to it on a the lamp and that is good enough!
How do you know when someone is calling you, or do you have to arrange to log on together a bit like MSN Messenger?

So many silly questions I know!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

There are a lot of cheap telecom options out there too, so if you are calling regular landlines across the Atlantic you can dial through someone like Discount Dial. Their current rate to Canada is 0.5p per minute.

For PC to PC calls there are also other options such as a FWD account or Sipgate (which also link your account to a regular UK landline number).

Rob
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know when someone is calling you, or do you have to arrange to log on together a bit like MSN Messenger?

So many silly questions I know!
if your computer is on and you are logged into skype it will ring when someone calls.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britsnake
if your computer is on and you are logged into skype it will ring when someone calls.
Thanks everyone.

I wonder if CHC London are on Skype, I would be able to give them hell (those of you that know our story will know what I am referring to)

Graham
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

I wonder if CHC London are on Skype, I would be able to give them hell (those of you that know our story will know what I am referring to)

Graham
Another good one is VoipStunt http://www.voipstunt.com/en/index.html

We use a mixture of Skype and VoipStunt to keep in touch - VoipStunt doesn't use the webcam, so you can call PC to PC just using your mikes, or you can direct dial and it rings through onto your normal house phone, which costs 5c connection fee (I think!) and you can talk for up to 1 hour just on your normal phone, which is handy if you don't want anyone to see you (eg first thing in the morning )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.