Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Skunks and other wildlife

Skunks and other wildlife

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skunks and other wildlife

Originally Posted by TrishB
small brown furry things about the size of a cat that I have absolutley no idea what they are,
Groundhogs?

I've seen loads of them on my travels here, not to mention a black bear, loads of moose, beaver, elk, mountain sheep, coyotes, mule and white tailed deer, chipmunks and unfortunately red, grey and black squirrels who terrorise our back garden.

I've only seen skunks, raccoons and porcupines as roadkill unfortunately.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:42 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't Racoons Nocturnal? If you see one during the day, doesn't that mean it's Rabid or is that Myth?
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:43 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee

I've only seen skunks, raccoons and porcupines as roadkill unfortunately.
Skunk Roadkill, wind those windows up
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 11:53 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Aren't Racoons Nocturnal? If you see one during the day, doesn't that mean it's Rabid or is that Myth?
I very much hope it's a myth as ours come out day or night!

We also have rabbits, chipmunks, groundhogs and loads of different birds in the garden.

Jane

Last edited by Canada Jane; Aug 23rd 2006 at 1:44 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Corky
Wow what wonderful pictures! My personal favourite is the racoon! Such friendly critters! They come in the garden at night and make so much noise they wake the dog up and then the noise begins! We had 2 bald eagles on the lake the year before, they were eating a deer that the coyotes had killed. It was great to watch the wild life at that snack bar!
When we bought our house there was a raccoon resident in the loft. According to our neighbour it had been there nearly five years. It cost us $750 for a animal welfare agency to dissuade it from living there. What they do is put one-way cat flaps over the entrance holes, so if s/he's at home at the time he can get out, but not back in. They have to check for babies, if there are babies that are too young they have to leave the raccoon family alone until the babies are mobile. Then they put the cat flaps in and when the mum finds she's stuck outside outside, she calls the babies to her. Apparently she has several "homes" in the area, and she'll carry them off to one of the others.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Just been to the local dump and seen at least 10 bears!!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snave
When we bought our house there was a raccoon resident in the loft. According to our neighbour it had been there nearly five years. It cost us $750 for a animal welfare agency to dissuade it from living there. What they do is put one-way cat flaps over the entrance holes, so if s/he's at home at the time he can get out, but not back in. They have to check for babies, if there are babies that are too young they have to leave the raccoon family alone until the babies are mobile. Then they put the cat flaps in and when the mum finds she's stuck outside outside, she calls the babies to her. Apparently she has several "homes" in the area, and she'll carry them off to one of the others.
My next door neighbour dealt with the raccoon in the attic by using a shotgun.

In the attic!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:13 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

I found this beautiful butterfly in the garden yesterday and managed to get a few photos of it.

I then looked it up on the internet and think it is an Eastern Black Swallowtail - unless anyone knows different.

Jane
Attached Thumbnails Skunks and other wildlife-butterfly.jpg  
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:34 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

This is another reason why our family wants to be in Canada ASAP, we are all wild life lovers... from the little to the large we love them all....when on holiday one year in Canada we sat most of the night till the local Skunk came out... most of the locals thought us all mad as they all ran away there was us running towards it ....

Sutherlands