Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future
Default Re: Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Originally Posted by Juliew
(QUOTE=seacreature]I've suspected this also. Canadians prefer workers from the 3rd world because it makes them look good. I'm sure most are terrified when they get a resume from a Brit with UK degrees and international experience, perhaps they think you'll take their job?

Wow, what a comment.

I don't even know how to respond to such a racist and offensive comment!!![/QUOTE]

...and what of the racism against highly skilled immigrants, which forces surgeons and engineers to drive taxi's and flip burgers?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
...and what of the racism against highly skilled immigrants, which forces surgeons and engineers to drive taxi's and flip burgers?

For gods sake, immigrants come to the UK too and have trouble getting their qualifications recognised. It doesn't just happen in Canada!

I know you didn't settle in Canada seacreature, but I'd bet money on the fact that your negative attitude didn't help.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
For gods sake, immigrants come to the UK too and have trouble getting their qualifications recognised. It doesn't just happen in Canada!

I know you didn't settle in Canada seacreature, but I'd bet money on the fact that your negative attitude didn't help.

I agree that attitude test for Emigrants into Canada would be a good idea.!
But on the other hand immigrant nurses in U.K. get free training to become trully professional nurses of world standard. Imigrnats into Canada wanting to train as nurses have to pay like $20,000 for training.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:37 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
I've suspected this also. Canadians prefer workers from the 3rd world because it makes them look good. I'm sure most are terrified when they get a resume from a Brit with UK degrees and international experience, perhaps they think you'll take their job?
Don't like to get dragged into these debates but can't avoid commenting on this ........ What a sad and negative person you appear to be. You've made your decision to leave Canada - why don't you leave it at that

Last edited by Jingle; Jan 30th 2006 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:44 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenwren
What a sad and negative person you appear to be. You've made your decision to leave Canada - why don't you leave it at that
Well I’ll give reason why it shouldn’t be left out…….

You have to take into consideration that this ”attitude” is often the direct result of a bad immigration experience, and such needs to aired on this forum along side all the good experiences…
And as the experience of many is that getting the job is often the shittty end of the stick.. And as having a job for most will mean the difference between succeeding in Canada or failure
You might as well be aware that this is likely to be the most testing part of the move…

That is unless you think that working at McD’s or driving a cab will really give you a better life
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Point taken, but why say it so often - no need to say the same thing in every thread, multiple times. At some point it ceases to be informative and just becomes whining.

Just to add my 2 cents' worth, I have higher wages and much more opportunity in Canada than the UK. I found the UK to still be rather backwards when it came to equal opportunities for women. Prejudice is prevalent everywhere, in any country.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

well, guys, here's my tuppence worth!
i agree with you that the majority of new immigrants to canada do have to get whatever jobs there are, as there is just no choice, especially when you have a family in tow! i myself was beginning t get despondent during my first weeks of landing in ontario, as i was being offered $5/hr jobs, whereas i had been earning close to £35 000 in the uk!! anyway, i neednt have worried, as i landed a decent job in an aerospace firm paying very good money, within 7 to 8 weeks of landing!! but let me say here--that is not the norm!! you have to be prepared to suffer-and i mean real suffering!! if you cant do that, stay where you are! TRUST ME--I HAVE BEEN THERE AND DONE IT!!

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Where I work there are quite a few immigrants, from Russia,the phillipines, India, UK, and other European Countries.

I have been amazed by how many of them have tales of woe, all of them have said that they struggled when they first came to Canada.

The main reasons seem to be that their former qualifications are not recognised...This in turn has led to many taking 1st year apprentice work at around $12 an hour, until they can challenge an exam, or in some cases, they have had to undertake apprentice training again, because they are unable to verify their hours from previous employers.

Most of these guys are mid thirties to early forties, and all have said that if they knew what they were letting themselves in for, that they would've stayed in their former countries.

Of course they have all decided to stay in Canada, as they have managed to overcome this hurdle...but it really sucks, especially when you read of people being turned down (immigration) because their qualifications are not up to the specified level.

I personally think that if you are planning to come to Canada, Go down the work permit route, Get a decent Job, and then apply for PR.....I myself did a couple of Cr*p jobs first off, but patience and hard work have paid off and I've got the break I was looking for...I would say that the Grass is definately greener on this side, but its brown at the moment.

Anyway before you Jump over here Look...Yes there are plenty of Jobs here...try applying for some and see how many responses you get....If you get a reply Contact them and be honest with them....Then you might see for yourselves, how poorly paid you may be for your skills.

Anyway Good Luck....I love it here.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Point taken, but why say it so often - no need to say the same thing in every thread, multiple times. At some point it ceases to be informative and just becomes whining.

Just to add my 2 cents' worth, I have higher wages and much more opportunity in Canada than the UK. I found the UK to still be rather backwards when it came to equal opportunities for women. Prejudice is prevalent everywhere, in any country.
thanks goodness for a positive comment. I read this site because you can get so much useful info, and it can be fun - and maybe a little addictive- but it can be really disheartening to read some of the posts. I get the impression from reading them that canada is full of manipulating, mean, backward, racist exploitative b******, not doubt theres a fair share but on our trips we havent met any, our friends- canadian - assure us there are jobs to be had at fair wages. So I am ging to belive them and be optimistic about the future
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:37 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Well I’ll give reason why it shouldn’t be left out…….

You have to take into consideration that this ”attitude” is often the direct result of a bad immigration experience, and such needs to aired on this forum along side all the good experiences…
And as the experience of many is that getting the job is often the shittty end of the stick.. And as having a job for most will mean the difference between succeeding in Canada or failure
Yes Mike I absolutely agree but it does get a bit boring when it's from the same source and going over the same ground .....

PAX J

You might as well be aware that this is likely to be the most testing part of the move…

That is unless you think that working at McD’s or driving a cab will really give you a better life

PS - sorry forgot to say ..... I am acutely aware of the "testing part of the move" but I have been working flat out to build contacts in Canada since we started this process. I have managed to get a letter of support from the Alberta government (which they sent to CHC) and on a recent trip to Calgary had three interviews leading to one job offer (not cabbying or at McD's ... lucky? No it was bloody hard work ... and I'm no spring chicken so yes I was worried.

But I'm also optimistically looking forward to our move - life is full of ups and downs - I hope that this will be an up but I am not so blind to know that there will be tough times ahead - just don't need to hear the same old whinges being dredged up time and again.

Last edited by Jingle; Jan 30th 2006 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:04 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenwren
just don't need to hear the same old whinges being dredged up time and again.
Because for somebody it’s the first time they’ve heard it…

I know this seems to come from the same sources all the time… but they move on… and then we’ll have somebody new to provide a new variation on the negative perspective… its just a way of balancing all the positives, the ones that set the whole process in motion and that actually got you on to this forum

Consider it an exercise in natural balance,
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:46 pm
Curiously Wise

Because for somebody it’s the first time they’ve heard it…

I know this seems to come from the same sources all the time… but they move on… and then we’ll have somebody new to provide a new variation on the negative perspective… its just a way of balancing all the positives, the ones that set the whole process in motion and that actually got you on to this forum

Consider it an exercise in natural balance,

Okey Doke point taken! Peace! J
Old Feb 16th 2006, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steals
weve been in saskatchewan for 4 months ,we came on a work visa, im now applying for pr after getting pnp from sask immigration .im a motor cycle technician working for a main dealer ,we sell and repair motorcycles ,atv's and snowmobiles .im now head of the service department and have never met more genuine and friendly people in my life.my boss has made me more than welcome, all my co workers are genuinely happy for me to teach them tricks of the trade that ive picked up with over 20 years experience,and im more than happy to learn off them also.theres none of the whingieng and back biting that goes on in the uk .my neighbours have been excellent and invite us to hockey there house at the lake ,parties and every social event there is,even the owner of the garage where we bought our suv from took us out looking at different areas to live,that wouldnt happen in the uk.as for the wages i get paid more than the uk . i get paid to go on factory training and get free use of atv's for quad rallyes,ive got the keys to work and can use the works trucks and trailers for my own use all this in four months im really gratefull for the opportunity weve got to make a new life here and this shows at work, where they also appreciate a good honest reliable member of the team .my girlfriend has now got her work permit and has had numerous job offers, when people know were english they cant wait to offer jobs because they know that they will be getting reliable people with good training. so good luck to anyone trying to get here it is hard work but if you stick at it you will get rewarded .ask plenty of questions and have a few visits to check places out the canadians dont think you will show them up with your skills everyone can learn from each other nobody knows everything youre always learning.
Excellent piece!

When my wife and I flew in, sat next to us was a guy with his wife, who own a Ford dealership in NB, with 6 different outlets/showrooms.

They have helped us no end as great friends, keeps asking me to come and work for him and bring my wife to, there is always a job open for either of us.

They love our grasp of whats going on beyond their borders - no way would any person in the UK, who owned his own Multi-Store business, be as kind and generous to newbies.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Ignition is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Excellent piece!

When my wife and I flew in, sat next to us was a guy with his wife, who own a Ford dealership in NB, with 6 different outlets/showrooms.

They have helped us no end as great friends, keeps asking me to come and work for him and bring my wife to, there is always a job open for either of us.

They love our grasp of whats going on beyond their borders - no way would any person in the UK, who owned his own Multi-Store business, be as kind and generous to newbies.
'Arrogrant Brits' are a standing joke in Canada. There may be a few exceptions but looking at this and other forums, along with the stories related to me those who have a fairly painless time getting work, and getting work that they are happy with, are the minority.

In any case going back to the question in hand here's a quote from a study from the University of Waterloo:

6. Summary
Our major finding is the concentration of immigrant men in low-wage establishments within Canada’s major cities and regions, is a more important source of immigrant wage differentials than differences in how immigrant men are paid within establishments. Certainly immigrant men are, on average, more educated and have more labour market experience than native-born men doing similar jobs in the same establishments, but once we distinguish human capital obtained abroad from that obtained in Canada, this apparent human capital advantage implies neither a wage advantage or disadvantage. Among immigrant women, on the other hand, there is relatively little evidence of low establishment wage effects. Immigrant women, however, appear to experience relatively large within-establishment wage disadvantages. Interestingly, an important part of this disadvantage is not explained by either lower returns to their human capital or by the types of jobs of immigrant women do, including the occupation and educational requirements of jobs. Finally, when we produce separate results for immigrants from non-traditional source regions, we find strong evidence, for both men and women, of negative sorting across establishments and large unexplained wage gaps within establishments.
These findings raise a number of important questions for future research. First, what are the processes leading to the highly segregated distribution of immigrant workers across Canadian business establishments? In particular, does it primarily reflect the relative search methods of
immigrants or the recruiting methods of employers? Secondly, why does this sorting appear to result in relative wage disadvantages for immigrant men, but not immigrant women? And to what extent does this difference reflect true wage premiums, as opposed to differing preferences for job attributes or sorting of unobserved ability? Of particular interest here are the roles of ethnic enclaves, social networks and job referrals. Finally, what explains the large unexplained within-establishment wage disadvantages experienced by immigrant men and women from non-traditional source regions, even after allowing for lower returns to human capital from these regions and controlling for detailed job characteristics? In answering these questions, our results emphasize the importance of wherever possible distinguishing the experiences of immigrant men and women, as well as the source countries of immigrants.
Source http://cerf.mcmaster.ca/conferences/...irSkuterud.pdf
Old Feb 16th 2006, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ignition
'Arrogrant Brits' are a standing joke in Canada. There may be a few exceptions but looking at this and other forums, along with the stories related to me those who have a fairly painless time getting work, and getting work that they are happy with, are the minority.
I think 'Arrogant brits are a standing joke worldwide, not just in Canada. There are a huge number of Brits who think they deserve everything handed to them on a plate jyst because they hold a British passport!

I believe that expectations are a major factor in Brits having a hard time fitting into Canada, they expect to be doing the same job, at the same level, for the same money.

Every immigrant should ask themselves why they are immigrating to Canada, I think there are to general responses. They are leaving to escape the UK, these are the people who struggle because they want the Canadian way of life but still want the UK pay. And then there are the people who are going to Canada purely for the way of life and better oppotunities for their children, these are the people who fit in because they have already decided to sacrifice what they had in the UK.

I will be leaving behind a £90k+ income and all the 'perks' that come with that, long holidays, loads of gadgets & toys, expensive cars, etc... But at the end of the day, that is not what is important ot me. I want the Canadian way of life, I want my kids to be able to afford a house when they leave home, i want them to have good career prospects, but most of all I want them to grow up in an environment where how much you earn isn't as important as the sort of person you are.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Ignition is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JezHarper
I think 'Arrogant brits are a standing joke worldwide, not just in Canada. There are a huge number of Brits who think they deserve everything handed to them on a plate jyst because they hold a British passport!

I believe that expectations are a major factor in Brits having a hard time fitting into Canada, they expect to be doing the same job, at the same level, for the same money.

Every immigrant should ask themselves why they are immigrating to Canada, I think there are to general responses. They are leaving to escape the UK, these are the people who struggle because they want the Canadian way of life but still want the UK pay. And then there are the people who are going to Canada purely for the way of life and better oppotunities for their children, these are the people who fit in because they have already decided to sacrifice what they had in the UK.

I will be leaving behind a £90k+ income and all the 'perks' that come with that, long holidays, loads of gadgets & toys, expensive cars, etc... But at the end of the day, that is not what is important ot me. I want the Canadian way of life, I want my kids to be able to afford a house when they leave home, i want them to have good career prospects, but most of all I want them to grow up in an environment where how much you earn isn't as important as the sort of person you are.
Despite previous disagreements I agree with you in the above 100% - great post.

When my position is as comfortable as yours with regards to the income, etc, so that I can have more savings, etc, available in order to be able to soak up the shock of moving and sacrfices I may have to make I will certainly rethink. Sadly not in that position at this time.

Last edited by Ignition; Feb 16th 2006 at 10:47 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.