Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is "skilled worker" the only way?

Is "skilled worker" the only way?

Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:44 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all
Default Is "skilled worker" the only way?

It seems the only way to get to Canada and get permanent residency is if you're are a "skilled worker".....

Is there a loop hole? I have emailed a few real estate agencies and they said they would be "more then interested in interviewing me" but I doubt realtors are skilled workers....*sigh*

In the "getting to Canada" wiki thing it mentions people applying for the working holiday and while there applying for permanent residency....has anyone done this?

Cheers
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice
Default Re: Is "skilled worker" the only way?

search the wiki a bit more,
Temp work permit with job offer is one, then apply for province PNP if you have enough points for PR.
Failing that get on match.com and find a canadian to marry
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Is "skilled worker" the only way?

Originally Posted by S E A N
It seems the only way to get to Canada and get permanent residency is if you're are a "skilled worker".....

Is there a loop hole? I have emailed a few real estate agencies and they said they would be "more then interested in interviewing me" but I doubt realtors are skilled workers....*sigh*

In the "getting to Canada" wiki thing it mentions people applying for the working holiday and while there applying for permanent residency....has anyone done this?

Cheers
Actually, Real Estate Agent or Salesperson is a skilled worker occupation, in that it is on the NOC list (Code 6232), so don't lose heart!!!

Unfortunately, it isn't on the List of 38 occupations who can apply without already having a job offer, so you would have to get an offer from a Canadian employer, and they would have to go through certain processes, but there is definitely a way.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:06 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Originally Posted by englishintruder
Failing that get on match.com and find a canadian to marry
ya never know
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:07 am
never settled

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
Actually, Real Estate Agent or Salesperson is a skilled worker occupation, in that it is on the NOC list (Code 6232), so don't lose heart!!!

You just made me smile ear to ear!!!!

thanx
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:41 pm
never settled

I just got an email from a realty firm in Toronto saying they would hire me!

Last edited by S E A N; Feb 19th 2009 at 12:44 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:45 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S E A N
I just got an email from a realty firm in Toronto saying there would hire me!
I dont want to kill your excitement but you need to check on what basis they would "hire" you. Many realtors in Canada are self-employed. They are "attached" to a real estate firm but not necessarily employed by them.

To claim Arranged Employment under Skilled Worker class it does have to be an indeterminate offer of employment and not a business or agency type contract.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:49 pm
never settled

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I dont want to kill your excitement but you need to check on what basis they would "hire" you. Many realtors in Canada are self-employed. They are "attached" to a real estate firm but not necessarily employed by them.

To claim Arranged Employment under Skilled Worker class it does have to be an indeterminate offer of employment and not a business or agency type contract.

I'm going to take it as tongue and cheek, I still have to take a gap year over there to even see if I like Canada....and I need a few more years experience over here as a realtor.......but they are mentioning correspondence to help get my Ontario realtor licence