Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Skilled Worker - Nurse moving from UK to Canada (Alberta)

Skilled Worker - Nurse moving from UK to Canada (Alberta)

Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Gemma Cherry is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Skilled Worker - Nurse moving from UK to Canada (Alberta)

Hi my name is Gemma I am a Nurse in the UK, I qualified in 2009. My family and I are looking to emigrate to Canada (in particular Grande Prairie as we have family there).

We have done alot of research about emigrating to Canada, but still seem a bit unsure of where to start etc. So we are going to a Candian Opportunities expo at the end of the month to see if this may make anything any clearer???

My issue is that I heard that its a good idea to take a copy of my CV and a covering letter with me, I know how to write a covering letter here for UK jobs but was wondering how or what to include in a generic covering letter for a potential job abroad??? Can anyone shed any light please x
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:02 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Worker - Nurse moving from UK to Canada (Alberta)

Do you really want "a generic cover letter" for any type of employment, or do you intend coming over "as a nurse", either on a temporary permit or applying as a skilled worker, (which is a whole different ball game)?

The following search may give you some ideas, especially if the former applies .... http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&biw=1259...468ecb1b9702e4

If you haven't already looked at this, you may also find it useful to try following this link to the "wiki" pages of British Expats.... http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

NB: Nurses are on THE LIST!!!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Mar 19th 2011 at 11:06 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Gemma Cherry is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Skilled Worker - Nurse moving from UK to Canada (Alberta)

Hey there thanks for your reply the intention is to come over as a nurse as a skilled worker on a permanant basis. So a generic covering letter that would apply to that i suppose ???

It's just a big scary thing to do and its knowing where to start lol

thanks again x
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gemma
you may also want to check out CARNA (Canadian Association of Registered Nurses Alberta), if you haven't already done so. There are a few threads on here regards nursing in Canada as a whole.

Good luck
Regards
M
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:19 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I was just looking at the Alberta Health Services site, and they say they are not actively recruiting overseas right now. However they would still be interested in you if you are here having got your Alberta registration, so the first thing to do is sort that out, then think about applying for jobs.

Here's a link to the CARNA website: http://www.nurses.ab.ca/Carna/index.aspx

There quite a few positions open currently for Grande Prairie: http://www.healthjobs.ab.ca/SearchResults.aspx , but note that a high proportion of them are for internal applicants only. Usually the way into AHS is to get a casual post, then apply for a temporary one, then a permanent position eventually! For a casual position the direct approach to the hospital (pay a visit) is often the best, but they won't really be interested in you until you are registered and legally able to work in Alberta (ie resident)

Meanwhile, you can kick off your Federal Skilled Worker application as nursing is on the list of required occupations, and you don't need a specific job offer to apply.

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Mar 20th 2011 at 6:25 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

starting point is meeting college requirements for RN. Nurses that recently trained in the UK don't always meet requirement as Canadian nurses are general trained not like the UK. You will need hours both clinical and theory on your transcripts in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Will also need to sit and pass CRNE at some stage

Suggest a read here in this forum and allnurses.com International and Canadian forum found under the region tab on allnurses

Also add the nurses cap for RN's has been reached for this year and may be included in June when the new list is released

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Mar 20th 2011 at 11:44 pm. Reason: add