Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Skiing in Canada

Skiing in Canada

Old Feb 8th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skiing in Canada

As far as Quebec goes,

Mont Tremblant, (http://www.tremblant.ca/), owned by Intrawest, developed heavily in the past 5 years but maintaining a small-town resort feel. Rated as one of the best resorts in the East.

The snow is fairly good, although a lot of it is man-made and it can get bitterly cold here from time to time.

This is more of an intermediate mountain with a lot of beginner catwalks but not much 'true-beginner' terrain. The double-blacks are more like blacks.

The only other one of significance (for vacationing anyways..) is Mont Saint Anne (http://www.mont-sainte-anne.com/). The snow is better than Tremblant. It's about a 3.5 hour car ride from Montreal Trudeau.

If you want really good snow, forget anywhere in the East. Head out west to AB.

Originally Posted by Scotschick
Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all your useful info.

Now we are going to have fun deciding which one to go to

Scotschick
Old Feb 8th 2006, 2:35 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
it can get bitterly cold here from time to time.
I think the only ones that don't are the west coast BC resorts...

all the rest can end up much much colder than their European counterparts...

hence the "better quality" powder snow
granted not much of a consolation for the cold use if you don't like skiing in powder
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

walters family has a spectacular aura aboutwalters family has a spectacular aura aboutwalters family has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Can anyone recommend a really good Canadian resort to go skiing in. Hubby is intermediate, myself and 4 year old son are complete beginners. Looking for family friendly resort with private or group lessons plus plenty of other activities ie ice skating, swimming, bowling, etc.

Have trawled numerous brochures but got fed up trying to work out whether 4 year old could get lessons or not.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Scotschick
kimberley resort in bc was great for beginners and intermediate and had a nice family feel, it is also a ski in ski out resort so theres no buses to catch
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I think the only ones that don't are the west coast BC resorts...

all the rest can end up much much colder than their European counterparts...

hence the "better quality" powder snow
granted not much of a consolation for the cold use if you don't like skiing in powder
True, but Quebec can get really f-ing cold - colder than any place I have been, and I lived in Russia for a winter. I spent two days in February in Montreal trying to keep indoors and especially out of the biting wind as much as possible. I can't imagine what possessed out earliest settlers to stay in such a frigid place.

Whistler is probably the best known ski resort in Canada. It has a reputation for being expensive but I read recently they are trying to attract more mainstream visitors. They have deals on now for accommodation and lift tickets starting at $107 Cdn per person. Here is the link: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mid...ness/index.htm
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

mapledreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Skiing in Canada

Hi
I would recommend Jasper. I'd never skied before and had a great time. My son took to it like a duck to water (dont u just hate kids ). Instructors really friendly and tutor groups small (around 6 people)
We stayed in the Jasper Inn. Has its own pool, steam room, whirlpool etc.
The ski hill is about 25 minutes in the ski bus from the town centre.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for all your valuable information.

All the weblinks are great. Going to have fun deciding where to go.

Scotschick
Old May 10th 2006, 8:46 pm
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

Just to update, Whistler will have 1000 acres of new beginner/intermediate terrain opening up next year with the addition of the new Piccolo Express ski lift. Currently the beginning terrain is not as extensive as some other resorts but with this new lift there is going to be more than enough!

And you can get some pretty cheap accommodation deals in Whistler these days if you look hard enough!

Have fun skiing.

Thanks everyone for all your valuable information.

All the weblinks are great. Going to have fun deciding where to go.

Scotschick
Old May 11th 2006, 12:33 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Here's one resort that has not been mentioned yet: Sun Peaks Resort. It's located north of Kamloops, B.C. I was very impressed with the village when I drove through it a few days ago. The place looked rather upscale. Plans are to make it the 2nd largest ski resort in BC.

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/winter/whysunpeaks.aspx

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/winter/index.aspx

Last edited by oceanMDX; May 11th 2006 at 12:38 am.