Ski Clothing

Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:56 am
Just Joined

RickM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ski Clothing

Hi Everyone,

Me and the wife are heading to Calgary / Banff in January for a bit of a look around and some skiing. We went to Lake Louise last year to try skiing for the first time and loved it!!

Because it was our first time last year we borrowed the ski clothing (trousers, jacket, gloves etc.) Now we have the skiing bug we're looking at getting our own kit.

What sort of prices are we looking at if we wait till we get to canada (mid - high quality, I've seen a Prada ski jacket for £750 over here but thats taking the p1ss!!) and where is the best place to get it. We're in Calgary for 3 days before we head to Banff, I'm guessing it'll be cheaper to buy in the city rather than at the mountains.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ski Clothing

Hi rickm
try 10th ave sw between 7th and 8th street in calgary, there are big outdoor stores (about 5 if i remember). don't know what the prices are like for ski wear, but one of the stores is a co-op and the exchange rate will help. i'd get your stuff in calgary before going to banff, it will be cheaper. some nice stores in banff and some have wintergear sales, but that was in august!!!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:46 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by owen
one of the stores is a co-op
That's the Mountain Equipment Co-op ... http://www.mec.ca

They're really good - I always seem to end up buying my outdoorsy stuff there.

Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:59 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the type of equipment you want to buy...

Compare prices on line... the fashion stuff will vary and most likely be more expensive in the UK...

However full on mountain equipment is often cheaper in the UK as its more popular as a sport in Europe than North America..

Its worth noting that most European high end mountain jackets are Gore-Tex based and as such double up as waterproofs… due to the differing weather many North American jackets do not need to be waterproof and don’t use a Gore-Tex type fabric..

A good NA brand is North Face and it compares well with the likes of Karrimore..

I’d suggest if you want to buy boots then buy in the UK.. try them out on the local dry slope and them get them adjusted… or risk the price an buy on the mountain.. and be able to get them adjusted each day you ski… don’t buy in a city that you cant get back too.. Simply put most boots require a little work to get properly comfortable.. otherwise they hurt and will ruin your skiing!!
And another piece of advise make sure you have room in your ski pants for some fleece long johns.. you’ll virtually never need them skiing in Europe. .but over here they’re a must on cloudy days… also silk or PP inner gloves can ward off the really bad cold days and its worth buying one of those wicking undershirts… just preventing the sweat can keep you that little bit warmer…
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

I came back from Canada on 25/10/04 with a load of new ski equipment.

Don't buy anything in UK! Take the clothes on your back and nothing else! Mountain Equipment Co-op is great for most clothing but they didn't have any snowboarding equipment. I got my jacket for $250, pants $160 and gloves only $65 (£69 for the same ones here) from Skiis and Bikes (Toronto though).

You will also be able to claim the GST back on the way out of the country. Get your receipts stamped at the airport and pick up a form. I saved at least £150! Boots are also well priced when in Canadian dollars but I had to draw the line somewhere!

Enjoy your trip!

Originally Posted by RickM
Hi Everyone,

Me and the wife are heading to Calgary / Banff in January for a bit of a look around and some skiing. We went to Lake Louise last year to try skiing for the first time and loved it!!

Because it was our first time last year we borrowed the ski clothing (trousers, jacket, gloves etc.) Now we have the skiing bug we're looking at getting our own kit.

What sort of prices are we looking at if we wait till we get to canada (mid - high quality, I've seen a Prada ski jacket for £750 over here but thats taking the p1ss!!) and where is the best place to get it. We're in Calgary for 3 days before we head to Banff, I'm guessing it'll be cheaper to buy in the city rather than at the mountains.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne
You will also be able to claim the GST back on the way out of the country. Get your receipts stamped at the airport and pick up a form. I saved at least £150!
Yeah the GST section is a desk with a lonely looking woman at the american departures bit before you thru security at calgary.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you know I bought a $550 gorgeous never been worn ski suit on e-bay 2 weeks ago for $50. Just bought a pair of second-hand boots for $40.00 at a ski swap show on the weekend too. I had never used e-bay until 2 weeks ago and made 2 purchases and both have worked out well for me.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:12 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne
Don't buy anything in UK! Take the clothes on your back and nothing else!

I've been to Canada and back a few times and am currently living here I've been skiing and mountaineering for over twenty years.... shop around... use the internet

everything here isn't always to the quality you'd expect back home...

Some stuff I buy here... other stuff I buy when I go home...

As for Mountain Equipment Co-op most of its good value, but to put it in context I’ve been many times but never bought a single item!
Old Oct 29th 2004, 10:15 am
Just Joined

RickM is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the info Guys, You've confimed my thoughts.

It'll be a days shopping in Calgary on the first day then!