Reload this Page >

Sit RED SEAL exam whilst UK resident

Sit RED SEAL exam whilst UK resident

Old Nov 3rd 2012, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

ste1070 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sit RED SEAL exam whilst UK resident

Hi,

Can anyone clarify if I am able to sit RED SEAL exam for industrial electrician whilst being a UK resident. i.e. once eligible (experience hours etc) can I go over and sit it? I am reading that you cannot sit without a Canadian ID. Based on the new FSTC it is either a job offer or certificate of qualification (which I gather is Red Seal). Suspect if I can't then they are going to have to review this criteria as nobody will be able to attain it unless Canadian Resident but you can't get the visa without it. Vicious circle??

Many thanks

Steve
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Nishama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sit RED SEAL exam whilst UK resident

Originally Posted by ste1070
Hi,

Can anyone clarify if I am able to sit RED SEAL exam for industrial electrician whilst being a UK resident. i.e. once eligible (experience hours etc) can I go over and sit it? I am reading that you cannot sit without a Canadian ID. Based on the new FSTC it is either a job offer or certificate of qualification (which I gather is Red Seal). Suspect if I can't then they are going to have to review this criteria as nobody will be able to attain it unless Canadian Resident but you can't get the visa without it. Vicious circle??

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,
I was in your position last year. I visited canada and sat for the exam after the qualifying interview. I had to prove that I had the work experienc/work hours etc. I did not have a Canadian ID but they created some sort of a ID number to do the exam. My trade is different but I got 82% and passed in one go. I admit that I did a lot of reading before writing the exam. I had no Canadian experience at all. I just visited Canada for the first time. After three weeks I came back to Australia. But will be heading back soon as I just got a positive LMO and a job offer from Canada.
I do not know if the system changed since then.
Good luck
Nishama
Old Nov 4th 2012, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for that. Did they seem quite co-operative regarding this? I.e it was quite a common thing they do? Did you send in your paperwork with experience etc prior to attending and was then allowed to sit exam? Where did you sit it? Many thanks
Steve
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You might get issued with a work permit at the border. OH did when he went to do his mechanics exam.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You might get issued with a work permit at the border. OH did when he went to do his mechanics exam.
Did he just go over to do this without any job offer?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Jean2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband made contact with SAIT in Calgary re Red Seal exam, initial contact with them was through a UK immigration show, they were very helpful. He purchased modules and studied, got all his paperwork notarised re number of hours requirement then travelled to Canada from the UK to sit exam, he then did some job/area research while in Canada and ended up with a job offer from a company who were prepared for LMO route, we had already applied for PR before this. Getting the Red Seal qualification was worth the hassle in our case Good Luck.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jean2011
My husband made contact with SAIT in Calgary re Red Seal exam, initial contact with them was through a UK immigration show, they were very helpful. He purchased modules and studied, got all his paperwork notarised re number of hours requirement then travelled to Canada from the UK to sit exam, he then did some job/area research while in Canada and ended up with a job offer from a company who were prepared for LMO route, we had already applied for PR before this. Getting the Red Seal qualification was worth the hassle in our case Good Luck.
This seems to be the stumbling block, getting an employer to entertain the LMO process. Is your husband electrician?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Did he just go over to do this without any job offer?
He did have a job offer and we were waiting on a LMO. He wanted to see what the exam was going to be like before we moved lock stock and barrel. We were advised that he could just go and sit the exam and then come back on a visitors permit. He bought a return ticket for a one week stay with the exam booked in the week. At entry he was issued with a three month WP, during which time he was told he HAD to pass the exam for it to be extended. I`m sure you can imagine the panic, our house wasn`t even up for sale
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Nishama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve,
I did the test in Toronto. They were helpful. They sent all the details by email when I made the inquiries before hedding to Canada. They did not confirm if I could sit or not. I had to face the interview in person. Then only I could make a booking to write the exam.
Thanks.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nishama
Hi Steve,
I did the test in Toronto. They were helpful. They sent all the details by email when I made the inquiries before hedding to Canada. They did not confirm if I could sit or not. I had to face the interview in person. Then only I could make a booking to write the exam.
Thanks.
I gather it doesn't matter where you take it as inter provincial. Did you have a job offer prior to looking into it? Could you give me contact details? Many thanks.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I gather it doesn't matter where you take it as inter provincial. Did you have a job offer prior to looking into it? Could you give me contact details? Many thanks.
In essence a 'Red Seal' exam does not exist. Red Seal endorses the provincial examinations of the training authorities in each province. You would deal with a provincial training authority who would administer the exam and to whom you would sent all your credentials and application. The Red Seal organisation is run jointly by the provinces that participate.

If your trade is Red Seal recognized, then any qualification is valid in all the provinces that participate. Not all provinces have the same rules, so check before sitting the exam.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:50 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
He did have a job offer and we were waiting on a LMO. He wanted to see what the exam was going to be like before we moved lock stock and barrel. We were advised that he could just go and sit the exam and then come back on a visitors permit. He bought a return ticket for a one week stay with the exam booked in the week. At entry he was issued with a three month WP, during which time he was told he HAD to pass the exam for it to be extended. I`m sure you can imagine the panic, our house wasn`t even up for sale
Hi my husband is planning to sit the elec examin Jan or feb, could he possibly be offered at airport a 3 month work permit without job offer and LMO?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
Hi my husband is planning to sit the elec examin Jan or feb, could he possibly be offered at airport a 3 month work permit without job offer and LMO?
He won't get a work permit without an employer getting a LMO first and then he could get a TWP. This assumes the employer has tried to hire Canadians first.

The only exception is the working holiday permit if he is 30 or under.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Tim Nice is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello 1st post for me. I know I will be on here a lot.

Can any one confirm that the Red Seal exam is only multiple-choice questions?

How do you prove the 9000 hours and is that just study or study + experience?

and can I sit the exam if I went over on a holiday visa?

Thanks for any help
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tim Nice
Hello 1st post for me. I know I will be on here a lot.

Can any one confirm that the Red Seal exam is only multiple-choice questions?

How do you prove the 9000 hours and is that just study or study + experience?

and can I sit the exam if I went over on a holiday visa?

Thanks for any help
You can sit the exam on a holiday visa, the training authority need to assign you a number. It is 9000 hours of work experience, provable with pay stubs, letters from employers, records of employment etc. This is time on the job (actually working), not classroom or study time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.