Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Single parent sister visiting

Single parent sister visiting

Old Oct 20th 2013, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single parent sister visiting

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Well presumably you get in touch with the police, who in turn informs CBSA who will flag the people involved in their database.

If you really wanted to abduct a child, a fake consent letter is easily typed up...

It's just not good/efficient policing. It reeks of a "won't anyone think of the children!!" policy: something must be done, this is something, therefore we must do it !
OK all well and good providing time is not of the essence as by the time all of the authorities have been notified they may have already entered Canada or some other country.

Parent picks up child at 9am as per custody agreement and has to have child back by 9pm.
In that 12 hours they could be in any country in the world and the other parent has no idea the child has been abducted or where they are.
Sure its not a perfect system but we do what we can.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Understood. But how would a consent letter prevent this from happening?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Understood. But how would a consent letter prevent this from happening?
Even those travelling with a consent letter doesnt mean we won't check with the other parent if we suspect all is not in order. I have made hundreds of phone calls to the other parent even with a letter of consent. Our powers are limited as if the child and parent are Canadians or PRs or Status Indians then by law they have a right of entry into Canada and I have no legal grounds to arrest or detain unless there is a warrant that allows me to do so or they are committing an offence such as importing drugs or prohibited firearms etc.
Foreign nationals are a different matter.
The system is not 100%.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

If you really wanted to abduct a child, a fake consent letter is easily typed up...

I have the feeling that the consent letter is just a scapegoat for CBSA and the politicians.
That is the reason why it is suggested to use a notary.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Myself and the mrs. have traveled by ourselves with our son more times than I can count. We have notarized letters of permission that we take with us but have never been asked going into or out of countries all across the world (France, US, Canada, Finland, UK, Japan and probably some I've missed) to present them. And that includes my wife coming into Canada with the young 'un on a one way ticket.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Myself and the mrs. have traveled by ourselves with our son more times than I can count. We have notarized letters of permission that we take with us but have never been asked going into or out of countries all across the world (France, US, Canada, Finland, UK, Japan and probably some I've missed) to present them. And that includes my wife coming into Canada with the young 'un on a one way ticket.
But you are carrying one and that is the main thing regardless if asked for it or not. Would you prefer if asked one day for such a letter a quick 2 minute interview while the officer looks over the letter or several hours in an Immigration Office while checks are made as you have no right of entry into that country?
I know which one Id prefer.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:31 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
What happens with married parents who just can't travel together? If I go to France this summer with my son, and my husband stays in Canada, is this problematic?

Interesting thread Tootlepootle, tank you for bringing it to my attention.
A cousin from back home visited Canada last summer with her daughter. The husband did not come. No questions asked as far as I'm aware.