Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

SIN number, no address

SIN number, no address

Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIN number, no address

Apologies if this has already been covered but I can’t seem to find any information on it.

Is it possible to get a SIN number without a permanent address or using a hotel address and get my SIN card sent out at a later date? As I’m flying into Calgary and would like to get everything sorted out before i leave Calgary as I will be doing a bit of travelling before I settle down and find somewhere to rent and odds are I’ll be a few hundred k from the nearest service Canada centre.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIN number, no address

Originally Posted by Oaken
Apologies if this has already been covered but I can’t seem to find any information on it.

Is it possible to get a SIN number without a permanent address or using a hotel address and get my SIN card sent out at a later date? As I’m flying into Calgary and would like to get everything sorted out before i leave Calgary as I will be doing a bit of travelling before I settle down and find somewhere to rent and odds are I’ll be a few hundred k from the nearest service Canada centre.
I did it using my work address IIRC, either that or my hotel... it was a while ago.

Frankly though there is no need to rush to get it if you are leaving the country shortly after arriving.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

we used the hotel address we stopped in. They were really good and kept our mail for me to collect it after I got a place to stay. It was easier in the interim, giving me time to get addresses changed.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oaken

When I applied they gave me the number right away and they had the actual card sent to their own Services Canada office (where I applied for SIN), which I picked up from them after 2 weeks. If you are going to be in the same area, you can request that they hold the card for you and you can pick it up from them.

Ray
Old Jun 19th 2012, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived, we applied and left with our cards the same day. IIRC, there was no need to provide them with any form of address.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raymasa
When I applied they gave me the number right away and they had the actual card sent to their own Services Canada office (where I applied for SIN), which I picked up from them after 2 weeks. If you are going to be in the same area, you can request that they hold the card for you and you can pick it up from them.

Ray

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
When we arrived, we applied and left with our cards the same day. IIRC, there was no need to provide them with any form of address.
Sounds good either way is perfect thanks for the info.