Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

SIM cards for Cell Phones

SIM cards for Cell Phones

Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Davie McCaig will become famous soon enough
Default SIM cards for Cell Phones

Please excuse my ignorance but do they have pay as you go SIM cards for cell phones in Canada the same as they have in the UK? If so what companies offer them? I am in Calgary at the end of this month and would like to purchase one rather than take my UK mobile phone and pay the high fees they charge for International Calling

Thanks

Dave
Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIM cards for Cell Phones

AFAIK Rogers/Fido are the only GSM / SIM offerers, but its probably cheaper and easier just to buy a cheapo Virgin paygo phone ($30 includes $10 call time and potentially another $10 if you can get someone to do the kickback thing) when you get here by the time you pay $25 for a SIM, get the phone unlocked, and then pay higher calling fees etc etc.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 4th 2007 at 8:08 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:12 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I got my phone unlocked before leaving the UK, and spent $25 on a Rogers SIM card in Canada to use it as a pay-as-you-go.

Trouble is, where we live cell reception is variable to non-existent. The top-ups cost $30, and if you don't use the credit, it disappears after a month. You have to top up before the end of the month in order to carry over any unused credit. We just ended up with a phone that was accumulating credit and few opportunities to make calls and use it.

Don't bother with a cell now - the truck's got OnStar (http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/index.jsp) so in an emergency we're at least contactable.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:15 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
AFAIK Rogers/Fido are the only GSM / SIM offerers, but its probably cheaper and easier just to buy a cheapo Virgin paygo phone ($30 includes $10 call time and potentially another $10 if you can get someone to do the kickback thing) when you get here by the time you pay $25 for a SIM, get the phone unlocked, and then pay higher calling fees etc etc.
Doesn't Virginmobile use the Rogers network in Canada?
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I The top-ups cost $30, and if you don't use the credit, it disappears after a month. You have to top up before the end of the month in order to carry over any unused credit.
Thats the reason I switched from Rogers to Virgin, the top ups are less expensive and the left over time does not expire if you manage it right. Perminute rates were a bit cheaper too I think.

Virgin uses the Bell network so coverage is certainly no worse than Rogers.

My reception coverage is actually slightly better now, but i think its more to do with the phone than the network. My phone is now on the virgin website for only $30, including $10 call time credit (and I'll pimp anyone who asks for the extra $10), and I have no complaints at all about battery life or reception sensitivity...Its not a flash phone, but Im not the sort who cares anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 4th 2007 at 8:20 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 10:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats the reason I switched from Rogers to Virgin, the top ups are less expensive and the left over time does not expire if you manage it right. Perminute rates were a bit cheaper too I think.

Virgin uses the Bell network so coverage is certainly no worse than Rogers.

My reception coverage is actually slightly better now, but i think its more to do with the phone than the network. My phone is now on the virgin website for only $30, including $10 call time credit (and I'll pimp anyone who asks for the extra $10), and I have no complaints at all about battery life or reception sensitivity...Its not a flash phone, but Im not the sort who cares anyway.
With Rogers Pay as you Go, you buy a $100 top up and it is good for a year.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

We just bought a couple of Fido SIMS (for a nominal fee) for our already-unlocked mobiles, and then just top them up with $$$s as and when. If you're still in the UK, I'd recommend buying an unlocked mobile before you come out - you can pick them up really cheaply on eBay. Over here, phones seem really expensive, and I can't believe they still lock people into 3 year contacts (and still then expect them to pay for the phone!!!). Only down side with the Canadian version of pay as you go is that the credit is time-limited - I think to 30days with Fido! You don't have to top it up every 30days though (which I think Virgin requires?).
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by The Escapea
You don't have to top it up every 30days though (which I think Virgin requires?).
Virgin also offers 1 year for $100, among other options, and any unused credit is carries over if you top up again before the year is up, which Im not sure Rogers do..they didnt use too.

Virgin offers more actual call time for that $100 I believe.