Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sick of the UK!

Sick of the UK!

Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:59 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick of the UK!

Originally Posted by Malcstevens
Hi
Thanks. No we haven`t to be honest, although we have been trying to look at improved climate conditions all round, if you know what I mean, short cold winter, longer warmer summer, etc. Perhaps I will take a look at Nova Scotias climate too then. Thanks
Listen to what Rob 999 said and get out EAST. In Nova Scotia you can buy a mansion for next to nothing. Plenty of fog though, so it could be like living in a Sherlock Holmes film but who cares in you can live in a country mansion.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:02 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Listen to what Rob 999 said and get out EAST. In Nova Scotia you can buy a mansion for next to nothing. Plenty of fog though, so it could be like living in a Sherlock Holmes film but who cares in you can live in a country mansion.
What are you smoking? And can I have some please!!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:04 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
What are you smoking? And can I have some please!!
Believe me Rob, I don`t have to smoke anything to think the way I do, It just all seems to come naturally
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Malcstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have posted - don;t rule out BC. If you don;t want rain then look into the Okanagan. Snows in winter, but not as cold as Calgary. Really nice long warm dry summers. Property prices are high compared to national average, but much more affordable than Calgary or Vancouver. I imagine your $s will go further out East though.
Thanks for the advice. We are going out to Ontario this wek so wish us luck.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:56 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Thanks for the advice. We are going out to Ontario this wek so wish us luck.
Thats right, get out EAST............... and search for your Canadian Dream.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

rodeo star is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
No you have been more than helpful, its the little bits & pieces that you pick up from different peoples opinions, so thanks for that. Yes we are looking for a more seasonal climate, somewhere where you know it will snow at some point in the winter and where the summers are reasonably warm and longer than in the UK! Plus the fall & spring of course. We are looking at a radious around Cambridge, just outside the Toronto area, hopefully house prices won`t be too high. We are visiting London also for one day so thats good to know. We have some friends in Calgary who love it so hopefully it will work out for you too. Have you emigrated from the UK then?
Hi, sorry I haven't replied earlier. We are emigrating in October, so thing's are very hectic at the momment. I read in you first post that you are an architect. I'm an interior designer, who has only ever worked for architectural firms. When we started the immigration process our lawyer offered us an employment assessment, in which they looked at different area's which would best suit me getting a job. Basically the summary of the report told me I should go to either Toronto or Calgary. They also told me there maybe a few more opening's in Vancouver because of the 2012 olympic's.
You will have to register with the provincial design council, before you can work. I will have to write an exam on different building codes, to get registered. However it maybe different for you.
I looked on the internet for potential job opportunities and luckly found a company, which was really interested in me. I sent them by c.v (changed the title to resume) and I had a phone interview.
I hope this was more use to you than my previous email. Good luck with your trip
Old Sep 15th 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

We've been in Ontario close to Toronto for 20 years.
The winters are long Nov- April-
but have been much milder recently than the earlier -35 degrees with wind chills and 5 feet snows which were common 10-15 years ago.
Summers can be a glorious 4 months -sunny every day-but sometimes humid -The sun is usually guaranteed and thats not the case in UK unless you are very lucky.
Cost of living pretty good really,lots of modern homes- expensive just like UK

I would also strongly suggest you consider having a firm job offer in writing before you decide to burn bridges because you will be hit with the perennial issue of 'no Canadian work experience'.(Canadian citizens get first picks of jobs- by law)
It is very difficult to get quality work here without that ....its a Catch 22.

We have surgeons and other professionals of all kinds driving taxis here in Canada- so beware. Get the job BEFORE you leave.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rich_007
ON and Calgary too cold ?

BC is where it's at.

Best of everything, and the weather is the bees knackers

R.
I second that.
In the fraser valley it's hotting up nicely. Seem to forget the last time we had some rain although do know that when it rains it pours. Heard blighty has had no summer to speak of, just the usual rain. Never imagined summers here to be so hot and according to the locals this has not been too good a summer. ehh??
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:42 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don;t want rain then look into the Okanagan. Snows in winter, but not as cold as Calgary. Really nice long warm dry summers. Property prices are high compared to national average, but much more affordable than Calgary or Vancouver. I imagine your $s will go further out East though.
Don't even consider the Okanagan, it's a terrible place

R.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:17 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penny farthing
(Canadian citizens get first picks of jobs- by law)
What about Permanent Residents ?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:39 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
What about Permanent Residents ?
I imagine they mean them as well, but they often use the excuse that you have no Canadian job experience so they are more likely to give the job to a a Canadian citizen or a resident that has been there for a while.