Sick Pay?

Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Gunfitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sick Pay?

Hello All,

would I be paid sick pay by a canadian employer or government if I had to take time off due to ill health?

I am not familiar with any canadian system regarding this.

Would I pay in insurance of some kind?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:19 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick Pay?

Originally Posted by Gunfitter
Hello All,

would I be paid sick pay by a canadian employer or government if I had to take time off due to ill health?

I am not familiar with any canadian system regarding this.

Would I pay in insurance of some kind?
Wow! Next you'll be demanding a decent wage.

Our situation (local government) - allocated 6 fully paid six days per year. These are for the 'man-cold' and short term problems.

Longer than that: go to Doctor and get a line. This is covered under our 'Short term disability' and can cover you up to 3 months pay at full rate.

Longer than 3 months and you go onto Long term disability at 55% pro rata up to 6 months.

Unionised conditions are different from our non-union ones and every employer is different in how they allocate or not.

Dbd and the other capitalists will be along soon to pour scorn on you.

Have fun.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Gunfitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Mad Mac,

I was just trying to look after my family in case of the unlikelihood that I could possibly not be able to work, and what contingency plans I would have to make.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:25 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Should be if you are salaried, at least for a while but it depends on the employer, so you need to watch out.

I suspect the WSIB has some sick pay provision, but I couldnt tell you what it is. Otherwise the life insurance providers can arrange long term sickness / disability insurance if you are really worried about it, but it comes at a price.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 20th 2008 at 3:57 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:52 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

It's a valid question.

Towards the end of January, my son slipped a broke his ankle while he was walking from the train station to work.

An ambulance swiftly took him to hospital, and he had surgery during which six pins and a plate were put in his ankle. The medical system worked very effectively. I was impressed by their efficiency and the compassion they showed. The medical insurance that my son has through his job covered the cost of the ambulance, and the surgery and the 2-night stay in hospital were covered by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. But my satisfaction with the medical system's response in this instance is another topic.

But here's the thing. My son's employer doesn't have any kind of disability insurance. My son is entitled to a few days of sick leave. If the accident had happened at work, he would have been covered by the provincial Workers' Compensation Plan. But the accident didn't happen at work, so my son wasn't covered by WCB. After the few days of sick leave were over, my son would have been up the creek without a paddle.

Fortunately, he was able to work remotely from home, over the Internet. The accident happened on a Monday morning. That first week he didn't get any work done, but he was covered by sick leave. The next week he was still in a lot of pain, and had to be horizontal, working in bed. He managed to do 4 hours' work a day. The week after that, he was able to sit at a desk at home and prop his leg up on a stool. That week he managed to do 6 hours' work a day. He's still at home (in his apartment) this week, and I don't know how many hours of work he's doing now. At the end of this week he's going to have his heavy cast exchanged for a lightweight air cast. He anticipates going into the office next week.

My son has been working for a couple of years now. As soon as he started working, he started saving so that he would have about six months' worth of living expenses socked away in case of an emergency. He hasn't had to tap his savings in this instance, but it goes to show what can happen.

My son is lucky in that the nature of his work (IT) enables him to work remotely. There are some jobs that require one's physical presence.

Canada does have a social safety net, but you have to fall pretty far down the ladder before the net kicks in.

There is employment insurance if you lose your job and are actively looking for another job. But I've read on this forum that work permit holders are not entitled to claim employment insurance (although, unfairly in my opinion, they are dinged for EI premiums).

I feel that, for this and other reasons, work permit holders in Canada are in a rather tenuous position. It's unfortunate that, because permanent residence applications via the skilled worker route are taking so long, people are being forced to apply for work permits in order to fast-track their entry to Canada.

My advice to a work permit holder is to do everything he/she can to fast-track his/her upgrade to permanent resident status.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Government jobs have much gentler terms and conditions that the private sector.

In the manufacturing sector, especially in non-unionized workplaces, there is often little or no sick pay. If you work you get paid, and if you don't you don't. Your workplace benefits scheme may have an option for disability coverage, otherwise you have to rely on EI benefits and/or welfare.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

The WSIB ONLY covers injuries that occur while you are "at work " and not illness. Having the flu is NOT covered by the Provincial Worker's comp insurance regulations.

Judy.....The fact that your son was walking "To Work " is the reason that he is not covered by any " at work " programs.

While I agree with you about the plight of permit workers not being covered by provincial health plans, surely a prudent person would buy private medical insurance, including injury/illness income protection, upon arriving in Canada ?

My car lease contract has a clause that will make the payments for me, for up to a year, if I am unable to work due to an injury or illness. Costs me $124 a year for that coverage.

Jim B. Toronto.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:34 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
Judy.....The fact that your son was walking "To Work " is the reason that he is not covered by any " at work " programs.
I know. That's what I said.

While I agree with you about the plight of permit workers not being covered by provincial health plans
If you're addressing me, CC, I did not say that work permit holders were not covered by provincial health care insurance plans. In Alberta, and I believe in most provinces, they are.

What I mentioned in connection with work permit holders was Employment Insurance (EI), which previously used to be called Unemployment Insurance. I've read on this forum that EI premiums are deducted from work permit holders' salaries. But, if work permit holders lose their jobs, they are not entitled to EI benefits.

surely a prudent person would buy private medical insurance, including injury/illness income protection, upon arriving in Canada ?
Supplementary medical insurance is one thing. Disability insurance is another thing. Disability insurance is affordable if you can subscribe to a group plan through your employer. If you buy that disability insurance as an individual, the cost is prohibitive. My husband and I have looked into it, more than once. We concluded it just wasnt' worth it. We did the math(s), and concluded it would make more sense just to save money and build up a nest egg.

That's essentially what my son has done. His employer does not offer a group disability insurance plan, but he has saved money that he can draw on if the need arises.

Now, if you have a loan, such as a mortgage, you can buy insurance that will keep your payments up to date in the event of illness, job loss, etc. That kind of insurance is affordable.

What I'm saying is prohibitively expensive is straightforward disability insurance, a plan that would pay you in the event you were disabled, if you are not eligible for a group plan and have to buy the insurance as an individual. It's all very well to have your mortgage payments and car payments kept up to date if you're disabled, and certainly that helps, but you also need money for food, utility bills, etc. That's where savings come into the picture.

In the three years that I've belonged to this forum, there have been a few forum members (fortunately only a handful) who have depleted all their resources because they've been met with one or more misfortunes after their relocations from the UK to Canada.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:41 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
surely a prudent person would buy private medical insurance, including injury/illness income protection, upon arriving in Canada ?
Jim B. Toronto.
Depends on whether you can afford to take the risk or afford the insurance. This is not an inexpensive option. Most policies generally available cover medical expenses, or are critical illness, not lost wages due to the flu or a broken bone. Add on policies from credit companies offer certain sickness benefits, but there are limitations (and huge profits for the insurer). These will only cover the repayments due to the credit company, not lost wages and other bills. It is as much for their protection as yours and you pay for it. If you fall sick and cannot pay, they lose as well and have to come after you, which costs them.

For those that qualify (600 hours worked within the past 52 weeks), sickness benefit is available from EI for up to 15 weeks.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:03 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, you can actually claim EI if you are here under a temporary work permit. I applied for it when I was laid off a year ago. However, it kicks in about 2 weeks after your last pay, and only pays out a maximum of $420 a week.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:04 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
For what it's worth, you can actually claim EI if you are here under a temporary work permit. I applied for it when I was laid off a year ago. However, it kicks in about 2 weeks after your last pay, and only pays out a maximum of $420 a week.
Thanks for the clarification on that.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
.... you can actually claim EI if you are here under a temporary work permit......
Hi
That's wierd, some odd laws here at times.
I am spouse sponsored immigrant by my wife, and although working and paying EI, I have been told, I can't claim for first three years, if un-employed or they 'bill' my wife for what i claim.
cheers
Jerry