Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Showing PR card

Showing PR card

Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future
Default Showing PR card

I hope someone can answer this.

I had my family's PR cards delivered to my aunts home in Toronto and we are back in the UK after staying only for two weeks, would it be ok to fly back to Toronto to collect these cards?

I was going to have my father go out and collect them for us as I dont trust the post.

Thanks
Gary
Old Nov 4th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Showing PR card

Originally Posted by garymc
I hope someone can answer this.

I had my family's PR cards delivered to my aunts home in Toronto and we are back in the UK after staying only for two weeks, would it be ok to fly back to Toronto to collect these cards?

I was going to have my father go out and collect them for us as I dont trust the post.

Thanks
Gary
Why don't you get them sent by courier, Fedex are very reliable we used them all the time to send legal documents from Canada to the UK.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:31 am
mzp
Forum Regular

mzp will become famous soon enoughmzp will become famous soon enough

how long after landing did it take for the card to arrive?
just curious as ours haven't arrived at a friends yet!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:21 am
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

I got my aunt to Post all 4 cards for me from mississauga and they arrived np

I can't remember asking her to send them via any special post and we didn't have to sign anything this end - maybe I was lucky or maybe you have nothing to worry abt...
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manningl
I can't remember asking her to send them via any special post and we didn't have to sign anything this end - maybe I was lucky
If they were sent regular post, then you were lucky.

That said, most things sent regular post do arrive but there are exceptions and if it's lost/stolen they will never be able to find out what happened.

Courier is not 100% secure but is a lot safer.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Robbie500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Showing PR card

We did the same and had our deleiverd to my cousins. We just showed our British passports as we were just visiting and collected them.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:17 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your dad is coming anyway just have your Aunt FedEx them.

If you are REALLY paranoid about sending them then just leave them in Canada.

As a British citizen you should have no problem getting on a plane to canada anyway, and can enter as a visitor anyway without the PR card....its only really there to help airline employees determine who can get on the plane and who cant...to prevent any visa/entry issues the other end. The Immigration officer at the POE can easily determine your status without the card if you dont want to say you are just coming for a visit, at worst not having it might be a minor inconvenience and a telling off.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, I did an experiment this weekend as I was in Europe for a few days; before this trip I'd handed over the PR card with my passport at the Air Canada check-in, but this time I just gave them the passport and one-way ticket and they didn't ask for the PR card.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Incidentally, I did an experiment this weekend as I was in Europe for a few days; before this trip I'd handed over the PR card with my passport at the Air Canada check-in, but this time I just gave them the passport and one-way ticket and they didn't ask for the PR card.
Same in my PR's experience (charters asked for card, Air Canada never have). Having said that, his travels with AC have all been on tickets originating in Canada... not sure if that makes a difference. Certainly other members have been asked for PR cards with AC on one-way... but of all the airlines, I'd be most hopeful of AC knowing the actual rules rather than the imagined ones

OP: he paid a little more than 50 CAD for his PR to be fedexed from Calgary to Glasgow, and he had it in less than 24hrs.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

True, I had a Canada->Europe->Canada ticket rather than a pure 'one way'.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
True, I had a Canada->Europe->Canada ticket rather than a pure 'one way'.
I'm assuming they figured that they'd checked your card going out anyway, so why check it again!

Wonder if they'd have done the same had you tried it on the Canada-Europe flight first.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I'm assuming they figured that they'd checked your card going out anyway, so why check it again!
My OH def did not show his PR card to leave Canada on AC. It's only been asked for once on leaving Canada, and that was going to Mexico on a charter - and I'm sure that asking for it was about entry to Mexico (I think PRs of Canada have visa-free entry there regardless of nationality) rather than re-entry to Canada.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future

I think it took roughtly six weeks for the cards to arrive at my aunts.

I had thought about travelling over as a visitor to collect them as I realise the Visa Waver is filled out on the plane by visitors from the UK, however i have a minor conviction to my name, one that the Canadian Embasy no all about, so I basically I should not be filling out the visa waver form on the plane and being a tourist (for this trip) should have a visitor visa in hand.

Tell me if I have that correct. I dont want to fly over and basically lie on the VW form because if they decided to check at the other end they could see everything about me.

Thanks
Gary
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garymc
I think it took roughtly six weeks for the cards to arrive at my aunts.

I had thought about travelling over as a visitor to collect them as I realise the Visa Waver is filled out on the plane by visitors from the UK, however i have a minor conviction to my name, one that the Canadian Embasy no all about, so I basically I should not be filling out the visa waver form on the plane and being a tourist (for this trip) should have a visitor visa in hand.

Tell me if I have that correct. I dont want to fly over and basically lie on the VW form because if they decided to check at the other end they could see everything about me.

Thanks
Gary
You dont have to fill in the visa waiver...you could always enter canada as PR when you go through immigration without your PR card, and have them check out your paper ROLF vs the database and give you a telling off for traveliing without the card,

If you have applied and been granted rehabilitation for your conviction as part of the PR process, do you even have to worry about the visa waiver complications anyway?

or else you could just do the sensible thing and have the PR cards sent to you by Fed Ex, Purolator, UPS or whatever. More chance of your plane crashing than a courier losing them I suspect.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What visa waiver form? The thing you fill out on the plane is a customs form, isn't it? Everyone has to do that, resident or visitor. You can be a non-resident PR (i.e. visitor), I don't see why you would be lying about anything on that form

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.